Recent Database Tweaks

In reply to G3VQO:

It’s working OK here Bill.

Thanks for the confirmation Les. I just noticed the QTH maps on QRZ.com don’t load so probably need to reboot. Many thanks for checking!

73, Bill

Hmmm…and now System Restore won’t work for any past restore points. The only thing changed on this XP computer was the latest MS update suite installed yesterday. MS strikes again! Now I’ll have to use my Vista laptop to enter the Database until MS fixes this. Arrrrgh!

73, Bill W4ZV

In reply to W4ZV:

Are you using some version of IE? The latest patch updates contain many, many, many, many, many IE bug fixes and maybe that’s where your problem lies.

Perhaps the updates have disabled Javascript in IE and if that happens your menus wont work. Check Javascript is enabled 1st.

Andy
MM0FMF

In reply to MM0FMF:

I have just installed the latest updates from Microsoft, and can confirm that they do not seem to have affected access to the database page.

73 de Les, G3VQO

Hmmm…and now System Restore won’t work for any past restore points. The only thing changed on this XP computer was the latest MS update suite installed yesterday. MS strikes again! Now I’ll have to use my Vista laptop to enter the Database until MS fixes this. Arrrrgh!

73, Bill W4ZV

In reply to W4ZV:

What the heck caused Bill’s 11:29 post to get repeated at 11:59? I’ve seen this occasionally on my own posts.

Barry N1EU

In reply to MM0FMF:

I normally only use IE8 for MS Updates (as they require) but Database works fine with it, so the problem must be with Firefox. I believe Firefox recently did an auto-update to 18.0.2 which must be the problem. Thanks for your help!

73, Bill W4ZV

In reply to N1EU:

The repeated posting comes when someone makes a comment (an HTTP POST operation) to a thread. Then they hit F5 or Refresh because they want to see their comment. Some browsers put up a warning saying that if you click OK the last operation will be repeated as part of the refresh. If you click OK then your last POST op is repeated and then the page is refreshed.

So you POST, POST, refresh and thus the comment is there twice. It’s very, very easy to do. What you can do is click the Spots link or Home linke etc. and that just refreshes the page without repeating any POST ops.

Andy
MM0FMF

In reply to W4ZV:

18.0.2 in use here and it’s fine. Again check Javascript is enabled Bill or the menus wont work.

Andy
MM0FMF

In reply to W4ZV:

I normally only use IE8 for MS Uates (as they require) but Database
works fine with it, so the problem must be with Firefox. I believe
Firefox recently did an auto-update to 18.0.2 which must be the
problem. Thanks for your help!

UPDATE: Firefox 18.0.2 works fine on my Vista laptop, so it’s something strange with my XP shack computer. Hopefully a future update will solve the problem!

73, Bill

In reply to MM0FMF:
Thanks for the good explanation on the reposting Andy!

Barry N1EU

In reply to W4ZV:

In reply to W4ZV:

I normally only use IE8 for MS Uates (as they require) but Database
works fine with it, so the problem must be with Firefox. I believe
Firefox recently did an auto-update to 18.0.2 which must be the
problem. Thanks for your help!

UPDATE: Firefox 18.0.2 works fine on my Vista laptop, so it’s
something strange with my XP shack computer. Hopefully a future
update will solve the problem!

FINAL UPDATE: Just in case anyone else should have this problem… I ran CCleaner’s free registry tool (http://www.piriform.com/) and now all is working well again. I have no idea what caused this problem.

73, Bill