Recent Database Tweaks

Yesterday the SOTA Complete Roll of Honour page went live. This was pending from the recent update that added the Summit to Summit logging, Roll of Honour and log view and the start of the SOTA Complete log view.

I’ve just added something experimental which allows grouping associations into what I think are logical groups. That is you can now select:

“All EA” = EA1, EA2, EA3, EA4, EA5, EA7 & EA8
"All G" = G, GM, GD, GI & GW.

Groups exist for VE, VK, W, CT, DL, EA and G.

This may or may not stay and also may have undesirable features (i.e. will throw an exception and you get a screen of red text!). But I’d be interested to know what people think about this.

Andy, MM0FMF
Database Manager

In reply to MM0FMF:

Andy,

Many thanks for this excellent new facility which I have long thought would be a great enhancement to the single association views.

Keep them coming :wink:
Rod

In reply to MM0FMF:

Brilliant Andy. Thanks for all your hard work.

I noticed the “Complete” roll of honour this morning and I know quite a few people, like myself, have wished for the “All G” facility for a long time.

Works ok so far!

Karen
2E0XYL

In reply to MM0FMF:

Just had a quick look Andy, but not sure what info is being displayed.

New options down the bottom of the ‘View Results’ menu Steve.

Also new options near the top of the ‘Associations’ filter on the Database honour rolls.

Tom

In reply to M1EYP:

I worked that out Tom, but when I select complete roll of honour what am I looking at?
eg you have 193 summits & Jimmy has 149 summits ?
& Bill G4WSB whos done 500 uniques isnt even showing on the list.

In reply to G1INK:

Well Steve keep up with the news about the new awards and you know what was being discussed. Bill may have 500 uniques but he hasn’t completed 500 uniques!

Andy
MM0FMF

In reply to G1INK:
I think it’s complete as in Activated AND Chased Steve :slight_smile:

Roger G4OWG

In reply to G4OWG:

Thanks for that Roger.

I’m not sure I get the point of the SOTA Complete listing. If other SOTA hams are active on the summits in your area, you’ll have a high score. If not, you’ll have a low score. Or am I missing something?

Barry N1EU

In reply to N1EU:

This is true, Barry, and also if you live a long way from a reasonable concentration of summits it will be difficult to amass a high score unless you are prepared to travel, organise your holidays in mountainous areas etc. However the “Dogfood award” has been requested by a number of people and is attractive to those of a “completist” turn of mind. I don’t know if the word “completist” exists, but if not it does now! :slight_smile: We have never pretended that SOTA is an equal opportunities game, flatlanders are at an unavoidable disadvantage as activators and completists, but that makes any successes all the sweeter! If SOTA Complete doesn’t ring your chimes, just ignore it and let the geeks have their fun!

Brian G8ADD

In reply to N1EU:

I must admit to having sympathy with your view on this award too, Barry.

Speaking purely from a selfish POV, I only log S2S chases, so this award holds little interest for me. Added to the fact, I don`t activate that many uniques, this is one chart I will never be in danger of topping.

BTW, good to see your antenna is working again, albiet with a few changes and nice to catch you from The Cloud on Saturday.

73 Mike
2E0YYY

In reply to 2E0YYY:

Well, you can’t win them all, Mike, and the s2s award is tailor made for your style of activation as the current table shows very clearly. Difficult to do well on this if the length of walk limits the activation duration.

For us on the Welsh Borders the Complete presents a real (and realistic) challenge; score 110 at present but I can just about see my way to doubling it (but not during 2013 :slight_smile:

I can see how I could fairly easily do a dozen or so activations of summits already chased. Getting the Chases for the many activated but un-chased will be more difficult and I will have to improve my techniques for dealing with QSOs in noisy conditions.

Not nice conditions at present; let’s hope for better soon.

Rod

In reply to 2E0YYY:

From a selfish POV, I’m in no danger of topping the table, either! After nine years of occasional activating I have just 32 points! OTOH, as I am two summits away from chasing all the G summits and 5 away from chasing all the GW summits, I am comfortable in the knowledge that any uniques I activate in those Associations will probably go straight into the Complete list! So, I may more or less ignore the award and just let the points creep up while I do my own thing, or I may think in terms of completing regions - say CE, WB etc, or perhaps a holiday in GD and complete the Association. Whatever turns me on…

Brian G8ADD

In reply to M0JLA:

In reply to 2E0YYY:

Well, you can’t win them all, Mike, and the s2s award is tailor made
for your style of activation as the current table shows very clearly.
Difficult to do well on this if the length of walk limits the
activation duration.

Totally agree, Rod.

What makes the Summit Sloth award so slick, is it does not discriminate against the activator on the lower of the two summits. If another activator is on an 8 point summit and I’m on a two-pointer and the the other activator only makes one S2S during an activation, say me on the 2 pointer, he still finishes up with ten points, as demonstrated by our S2S between Waun Fach and Shining Tor, recently

This award is also good news for someone such as myself who does dozens of repeat summits, there is now a much bigger incentive for me to re-activate them, even in the winter.

For us on the Welsh Borders the Complete presents a real (and
realistic) challenge; score 110 at present but I can just about see my
way to doubling it (but not during 2013 :slight_smile:

I can see how I could fairly easily do a dozen or so activations of
summits already chased. Getting the Chases for the many activated but
un-chased will be more difficult and I will have to improve my
techniques for dealing with QSOs in noisy conditions.

You make some interesting points, Rod. I`ll be listening out for Vicky and yourself and look forward to plenty more S2S.

Not nice conditions at present; let’s hope for better soon.

Trying to keep a kite in the air keeps me fairly warm, Rod :wink:

73 Mike
2E0YYY

In reply to G8ADD:

One thing that the Complete and S2S awards will do is to encourage those who only activate to enter some chases. That may well encourage them to start chasing much more often. I’ve worked hundreds of S2S contacts over the years but they are only stored in my activator log, I could never be bothered log them as a chase. Now the S2S award exists it’s worth me logging them from now on.

Activators don’t really need encouraging much, they’re mainly the kind of person who likes getting up the hills anyway. They may well be out walking and now it’s worth taking a radio and combining 2 hobbies. But without chasers, and lots of them, activators are a bit stuck. So anything which can recruit some new chasers from the approx. 1100 activators who don’t chase has to be a useful thing for all involved.

Andy
MM0FMF

In reply to G8ADD:

Chasing GW summits is very frustrating, Brian and to be only 5 away from bagging them all is no mean achievement.

Only recently, I missed a couple of rare GW S2S and cursed my luck.

Work getting in the way of activating can be a real pain at times :wink:

73 Mike
2E0YYY

In reply to 2E0YYY:

This award is also good news for someone such as myself who does dozens of repeat summits, there is now a much bigger incentive for me to re-activate them, even in the winter.

While this is true Mickey, your S2S score will grow faster if you do broaden your horizons. ie, if you keep doing SP-004, SP-015 and SP-013, you will only be picking up the other activator’s hill point score for 2013 S2S QSOs. Whereas if you kept moving around doing different WB, NW, SP, CE and NP summits, then you would be getting something for your own summit as well.

However, like with everything SOTA, the style of participation is your choice and your choice alone. If you are enjoying yourself, then take part however you like!

Tom M1EYP

Speaking of the database, is that page down this morning? I just tried to log MW1EYP/P and the Database Summary page will appear but none of the drop-down links at the top are working (e.g. Submit Log). Is this a general problem or something with my computer? If a general issue it would be nice if there were an “Under Construction” notification on the Summary page.

73, Bill W4ZV

In reply to W4ZV:

It’s working OK here Bill.

73 de Les, G3VQO