Really unhappy with logging software...

No, mobile app is not necessary, I‘m happy to continue using pencil and paper. But it would be a bonus if available.
And no, no application „for the shack“ as I don‘t have a shack. That is exactly my point: I just want a simple logging application not a software to do everything in the shack.

Unreasonably sniffy? I was just asking for recommendations of software I might not know yet.

No, just unary. I will not write a logging software (see above).

But thank you for your thoughts.

1 Like

I wrote a very simple application for my Palm PDA (remember those) which did exactly what was required and was easy to write
If a programming klutz like me can do it I am sure any of you can do something to meet these simplistic requirements using a mobile phone or tiny tablet

Not sure if it works for I-phone but on my Android I have used HamLog (with the 73 logo) on my phone. It is a very simple app and will look up the callsign and load the name and address for you if you have cell coverage. Maybe it will work for you.
Tim - K5DEZ

1 Like

I was tired of typing logs into SOTAdata and my PC based logging software after getting home from SOTA summits so I decided to write my own logging app.
Five weeks later I had an Android logging app that did what I wanted.
Now, 7 years later, I’ve used the app on about 110 SOTA activations and I’m still refining it having expanded it to include WWFF logging as well as both SOTA and WWFF spots.
In no way has this app been a time saver - I have spent more hours writing and testing code than it would have taken to type all my logs using only one finger on my non-dominant hand, but I have kept my brain active which has got to be good for something.

4 Likes

After activity I write them all into the HRD Log.
For upLoad to SOTA DB I have a text file and write them again (with a lot of copy/past direct in the V2 SOTA Format)
yes for next xmas I wish direct export from HRD to SOTA V2…

1 Like

Or use ADIF

Capture

2 Likes

Hi Tim
yes Hamlog working also on Apple phones 73

Use Saisie SOTA on PC after the event Rod. Very fast way to produce a clean ADIF or CSV file which is perfect match for the database. Thanks to F6ENO for producing and maintaining it.

73 Phil G4OBK

Log4OM 2.4.0.0 just got a new feature called “Lazy Log”, similar to FLE. Not perfect yet, but usable.
ADIF exports out of Log4OM are accepted by the new SOTA database. No need anymore to tinker with CSV.

73, Markus HB9BRJ

1 Like

OK Markus, useful to know. From LOg4OM have you tried to export a daily mixed type of ADIF log. i.e. some rag chew or DX contacts without references mingled in with SOTA Contacts containing references? If not please try it and tell me if the ADIF file will import correctly, or whether you need to go to CSV.

I use Logger 32 here and whilst I can export an ADIF file of running consequtive SOTA contacts containing references directly into the new SOTA database if there are other contacts within the list without references in the SOTA Chaser field I use in Logger 32, the file will not import. So on most days when I upload to the database I save the ADIF for that day or days, import it into ADI2SOTA (Thanks again F6ENO). I then save the file as CSV. Thissaved CSV file ignores the non-SOTA contacts and imports without problem. It would make life easier for me if I could import a daily ADIF file, but most days I make other contacts so this is not possible without the use of the other application, or self editing the ADIF file which is a nuisance and may be prone to making an error during the edit phase. .

73 Phil G4OBK

I use paper and pad. Very light weight and dependable. I do then enter onto Maclogger once home. Taking additional h/w is just extra hassle and increase risk.

1 Like

Hi Phil,
I use SAISIE SOTA to log my SOTA chases. I use Logger32 to log any non-SOTA contacts. As you very well know, upon saving your SAISIE SOTA log, the program produces a .csv and a .adi
At the end of the day, I upload the SOTA chases to the database (I always upload the .csv but you can now upload the .adi) and also import the .adi to my Logger32.
The SOTA chases import perfectly into Logger32, no matter other non-SOTA QSOs you may have logged that day on Logger32.
You shouldn’t need any editting if you use SAISIE SOTA por SOTA chases and Logger32 for the non-SOTA contacts. The SAISIE SOTA .adi file will perfectly merge with your Logger32 log.

Guru

1 Like

HI Guru

I do things different to you as I Chase almost daily at the moment, much more than I Activate. What I meant was I export from Logger 32 an ADIF file of Chaser QSOs mixed with non-SOTA QSOs. The format of the ADIF file created is rejected by the SOTA Database, it will not accept SOTA QSOs interspersed with other contacts - i.e. it will not filter them out automatically. Today was OK - I made 5 SOTA QSOs with references and zero non-SOTA QSOs so I was able to use the ADIF file to import into the database, rather than open ADI2SOTA to make a csv file. .

73 Phil

I also chase SOTA daily. Several days I only chase SOTA, all logged on SAISIE SOTA, but some days I log CW ragchewing QSOs on my Logger32.
At the end of the day, the .adi of my SOTA chases gets perfectly merged with the other QSOs I may have logged on Logger32.
I think this MO is more efficient and it’s everyday the same process.
I’d recommend you to adopt this method.

Guru

1 Like

I will throw another vote for HamLog (73 logo) I have it for Android, but I don’t think it is supported on Android anymore. It is supported of the Apple platform and has a lot of cool features, some of which are SOTA specific. Definitely worth a look.

Another to look at is the N3FJP logging software. It is Windows based. Yes the GUI is a bit dated, but it has a LOT of nice features and is very customizable to what you want it to be. A small windows tablet should handle it fine. It is pay software but reasonably priced and has a trial period. I am in the trial period now, but I already know I will be buying it. It is on the way home.

1 Like

Sorry Guru this wouldn’t work so well for me as I don’t just operate amateur radio for the purpose of SOTA. If I operated your way I would be in and out of two logging programs throughout the day and I would still have to do an ADIF import into Logger 32 at the end of most days, before I then do my daily export from Logger 32 into Clublog and Logbook of the World. Your method is not for me, thanks.

73 Phil

Phil,

The following recipes are not very intuitive. My thanks go to Terry G4POP who helped me finding my way through the many screens and icons.

This is my current Log4OM 2.4 workflow as activator:
(1) back home, enter QSOs from paper log using new “Lazy Log” feature
(2) utilities | QSO manager | define QSO date range
(3) select all QSOs to be uploaded to SOTA
(4) Export to ADIF
(5) upload to SOTA

Reason for NOT using Award Statistics as activator: Activator view does not show S2S QSOs. So you would have to create 2 separate CSVs (activator, Ref-to-Ref).

For chasers I am proposing this flow to create a SOTA-compatible CSV:
(1) View | Award statistics | Award = SOTA
(2) on Award view tab, check “Show worked only”. This will avoid that refreshing takes minutes because it checks for all SOTA references.
(3) Click on “Export data”. This opens the “Export awards” window
(4) Select “Chaser”, restrict date range, refresh
(5) if needed, apply additional filters using the filters icon below the list
(6) click on green “Export” icon on top. This creates the usual CSV like Log4OM V1.4 did.
(7) upload to SOTA.

If a chaser ADIF upload is preferred, follow the activator recipe above. Just make sure the “Contact references” field is visible in the “QSO Manager”. Sort QSOs on contact references, select chaser QSOs, export to ADIF.

Hope this helps, at least a little…

73, Markus HB9BRJ

4 Likes

That workflow is actually very interesting. I will download the latest version of Log4OM and try it out.

My most important take away from this discussion so far is that it might actually be more a question of workflow (improvements) and less about the software used.

HI Markus

Sorry the method is no use to me as I don’t use Log4OM. I have used Logger 32 for getting on for 20 years now and it does everything except brew my hot drinks hihi. For activating only I do as you describe although I use F6ENO Saisie-SOTA in place of Log4OM to produce an ADIF and CSV file. I import the ADIF into Logger 32 and previously imported the CSV file into the database. From now on with the new database the ADIF file can be imported directly from Saisie so the CSV should no longer be needed.

73 Phil

I have spend the weekend getting to know Log4OM 2 and am really impressed. Some of the functions are not obvious (to me) but very well thought out. I have added automatic export to Clublog and others and am waiting on the LoTW integration.

Especially the lazy log function is great but I have to use it more to memorize the commands further.

It is great that there is a chapter in the user manual for exporting to SOTA DB!

So far it looks very promising.

I can only thank the team that develops it!

1 Like