RBNHole down

There was some maintenance for Spectre/Meltdown that happened recently and now the host isn’t responding to ping. I’m away from a system where I can log into the console, so it may take a little while to fix. Bear with me!

Cheers,
Andrew
VK3ARR
RBNHole Wrangler

It’s a network issue (no surprise). I’m taking this opportunity to patch and upgrade the server which I’ve been delaying for a while now :smiley:

Dear Andrew,
Thanks for your continuous work on providing this great piece of infrastructure for the SOTA community!
73 de Martin, DK3IT

Should be back now

1 Like

Andrew,

Thank You! I see some RBN hole spots.

I’ll test it at 3052 M in a few hours from now after hauling up Deer Mountain on snowshoes!

George
KX0R

1 Like

There appears to be a bigger problem on the RBN side with the server I’m hooking into to get RBN spots. It’s dropping me regularly then refusing to reconnect me at random. There may be some periods of outage over the next few days while I wait to get time to dig into this properly

There appears to be a bigger problem on the RBN side with the server I’m hooking into to get RBN spots. It’s dropping me regularly then refusing to reconnect me at random. There may be some periods of outage over the next few days while I wait to get time to dig into this properly
[/quote]

I’ve seen spots RBN Hole spots today but I didn’t see any for KX0R when he started his activation on 40m this morning. I waited several minutes to see if RBN Hole would spot him before I spotted him.

73, Brad
WA6MM

On 2/27/18 I was on W6/NC-410 and I noticed that RBN Hole was not spotting me; I was able to self spot using SOTA Goat and my cell phone. Generally RBN Hole picks me up with one or two CQs. I thought it might be propagation, but now I wonder. I greatly appreciate all the work that goes into maintenance of RBN Hole and send a sincere thank you to VK3ARR!

No wonder I had to call CQ more than usual to get spotted today! I don’t see any RBN Hole spots since Sunday at 0020 Z.

Thanks to K0HNC and NU7A, who found and spotted me today on Button Rock Mountain.

Does anyone have any news about what’s happening?

George
KX0R

Travelling for work today, George, I’ll take a look when I get home, or tomorrow morning (AEDT)

Urgh, that system runs a bit more than just RBNHole and a change to the config due to the SMP move earlier this month caused disk to fill up, and of course the monitoring to tell me disk was getting full couldn’t email me because the disk was full. Fixed now, or at least should be - the RBN network I’m connecting to does appear to be very flaky.

(Say thanks for the 30 minute flight delay - I got to this earlier than anticipated :smiley: )

1 Like

Be careful what you think you want. Some colleagues were due back from Noida, India on Thursday into the midst of the worst snow storm for 10 if not 25 years. They booked rooms at Heathrow before they left a delayed flight from India. They were still waiting for flights out of Heathrow on Sunday morning, 3 days later!

Indeed, I could at least see the aeroplane before jinxing it. Back in VK3 now

1 Like

Many thanks to you for your continued support of this tool Andrew! Many of us have come to rely on this tool to help us make as many contacts as possible over multiple bands. Our time is sometimes limited on some peaks due to adverse weather conditions and we don’t always have cellphone coverage as well.

This also highlights why it’s important to post alerts. If RBN Hole is down we have to rely on our fellow chasers to find us (monitoring RBN, etc). We’re extremely fortunate to have such a great group of activators and chasers looking out for each other!

73, Brad
WA6MM

… “This also highlights why it’s important to post alerts”.

It’s also important to list specific frequencies, Brad. Some of us lurk on the listed freq in case RBNhole doesn’t react for any reason. I lurk at 14.061/62/63; 10.110/111/112; and 7.032/33/61 all at the same time. Any Sota veteran in NA has heard me initiate a contact as soon as I hear an arriving activator checking his/her SWR or asking QRL. Why? Because I multitask and need to jump in and back out quickly.

Elliott, K6EL

_

1 Like

You wouldn’t believe what a joy it is to hear a familiar chaser’s voice respond to a query as to whether a frequency is in use with “it is now” :grinning::grinning:

(for the CW types I’m sure you could substitute “fist” for “voice”!)

1 Like