Quiz of the day

I snapped this photo on my cycle to work this morning. It’s actually been there for a couple of weeks, and believe me it was attached and vertical for the preceeding three years.

So, for one point - what happened? Comedy and/or engineering/science based answers welcome.

For a bonus point, name the SOTA summit in the background. (Clue, it’s currently only available to Ops. who reside in the Shire, that is GM/ES land.)

I see a mismatch here. I see it horizontal now (on the ground), and I guess it was vertical (attached to the generator head at the top of the tower) when it was attached for the 3 preceeding years.

It’s been dettached and layed on the ground for repair/maintenance/replacement.

Probably @EA2DT will be able to give a more accurate explanation, as this is his professional area of work.

Cheers,

Guru

2 Likes

The local Council only gave permission for one generator. It took three years to realise there were two. So one had to come down. New paperwork has been submitted along with a hefty planning permit fee. Watch this space.

Ron
VK3AFW

1 Like

Cheers. Edited!

1 Like

Ha ha I was perplexed by that too!

The UK has embarked on a program to dismantle all the wind turbines based on the sage observation of a famous and real world leader that publicly claimed turbines are an environmental hazard due to the excessive number of birds killed annually.

1 Like

That’s why I’m a rubbish amateur. Always get my polarisation wrong.

1 Like

Without getting political in anyway, Donald Trump doesn’t like them. He tried to block an offshore wind farm off the coast of Aberdeen, citing that it would ruin the views from his newly built golf course at Balmedie. He even took out full page ads. in the local papers of a rusting abandoned wind farm, presumably somewhere off the US coastline.
It got built and Scotland achieved 97% of its energy from renewables last year.
Must dig out my 1KW amp…

Is it Kerloch GM/ES-059?

1 Like

No, but not too far away. However, a very good guess from a Spaniard, so I’ll give you one point for best DX guess.

1 Like

It wasn’t him I was referring to but someone to the east of you but not all the way east and back to the US.

Let me try again. Now I think I’ve got it, otherwise I’ll take my coat.
My final guess is GM/ES-065 Benaquhallie.

3 Likes

“My final guess is GM/ES-065 Benaquhallie.”

Awesome! We have a winner. You’ve either been to Aberdeenshire or spent the last three hours on SOTLAS / Google.

3 Likes

Guru,

Consider that you will win the prize only if you can pronounce the summit name correctly! :wink:

73, Markus

2 Likes

Never been to Scotland yet, but I’ve enjoyed making some research. First I found out on QRZ.com where your QTH is, then I was pretty sure that the summit in your picture was a 1 pointer, so I started checking on SMP Satellite view the SOTA 1 pointers at a reasonable cycling distance from your QTH. My first and wrong guess was because I saw several WPG around that summit, although I didn’t really find the specific WPG you captured in your picture. Further research finally let me find those specific WPG shown in your picture and the SOTA next to them is GM/ES-065:

May I propose exchanging the bonus point by a good pint of beer?

Guru

4 Likes

I’d go with Ben -a- kwaally and I think a Spanish person would manage that just fine!

1 Like

Guru, Great detective work, so I’m happy to buy you a pint, should you ever visit. You know where I live and we have a village pub. :beers:

On Thursdays I usually cycle 40 miles to work in Westhill along forest trails and old railway. However, we had snow on Monday and the tracks are still covered, so today I went 30 miles by road. I passed four SOTA summits en route, with a further two very nearby. I plan to activate them by bike in the summer. Maybe one per week…

1 Like

Easy. Just say it as it is written.

Just remember it’s written in Gaelic(though maybe a bit Anglicised). See told you it was easy.

Here’s a harder one: Beinn an t-Sidhein.

1 Like

Thankfully Walkhighlands has a very useful spoken Gaelic to English translator!

2 Likes

It seems that the parts have arrived from Chinese ebay.

2 Likes