Quite remarkable!

I see there was a single-person activation today of 5 South Wales summits, namely: SW-007 (4 points), SW-006 (6 points), SW-017 (1 point), SW-008 (4 points) and SW-025 (1 point).

And there was I thinking I had done well to activate 2 summits: SW-036 and SW-028 today … but then, I’m a mere novice at this game! However, I DID make 50 QSOs from each summit.

:-)))

Walt (G3NYY)

In reply to G3NYY:

Each to his own Walt. Having dashed around 6 SC’s in a day and enjoyed it despite a finish close to 22:00, I have equally been pleased to sit up to 4 hours on such summits as Cadair Berwyn GW/NW-012, Carnedd Llewelyn GW/NW-002 and Maesglase GW/NW-029 and play radio. For me most activations fall somewhere between these “extremes”, but it is good to do something different every so often.

It’s good to see the less popular GW/SW summits being activated. With few exceptions I have very pleasant memories of them.

73, Gerald

In reply to G3NYY:

Those SW mountains give lovely walking if you get the WX, I set out to do SW-007 and -006 as a pair once but when I topped out on Fan Nedd the wind nearly blew my head off! It looked a lovely col to -006 but I did a quicky and got the heck out of there - another time!

It looks like there is a really nice challenge to link SW-004, -001, -005, -007, -006 and -003 as a long high level walk with activations for a very long summers day starting and finishing at hostels, or a weekend with an intermediate hostel. Has anyone done it yet?

Brian G8ADD

Richard G4ERP’s walk from SW-041 to SW-002 looks a cracker as well.

Tom M1EYP

In reply to M1EYP:

GW/SW-016 (Ysgyryd Fawr)
GW/SW-026 (Bryn Arw)
GW/SW-011 (Sugar Loaf)
GW/SW-002 (Waun Fach)
GW/SW-009 (Mynydd Troed)
GW/SW-023 (Allt yr Esgair)
GW/SW-013 (Tor y Foel)
GW/SW-008 (Cefn yr Ystrad)
GW/SW-004 (Waun Rydd)
GW/SW-001 (Pen y Fan)
GW/SW-005 (Fan Fawr)
GW/SW-006 (Fan Gyhirych)
GW/SW-007 (Fan Nedd)
GW/SW-003 (Fan Brycheiniog)

…all done as a single walk in 2003.

Richard
G3CWI

…all done as a single walk in 2003.

Ah, in that case, I did:

G/SP-001 (Kinder Scout)
G/SP-002 (Black Hill)
G/NP-017 (Fountains Fell)
G/NP-010 (Pen-y-ghent)
G/NP-016 (Dodd Fell Hill)
G/NP-006 (Great Shunner Fell)
G/NP-001 (Cross Fell)
G/SB-001 (The Cheviot)

…as a single walk in 2006. But isn’t sleeping cheating?

Tom M1EYP

In reply to M1EYP:

But isn’t sleeping cheating?

Only if you were not carrying a tent and camping gear…

Somehow, I am reminded of your proposed rules for OSOTA!

In reply to G3NYY:

In reply to M0KPO:

Then 5 summits, high scoring at that, the following day.

Well, looking at the maps and how close these 5 summits are to the roads, all I can say is it’s a lot easier down there than it is for most of ours up here!

Look at the spots and time available to travel - 2 hours between the first two (and they’re pretty close together), then 2.5 hours to the next one, then an hour and a half to the next (and a road appears to get within 100m height and a kilometer or so distance of that one), finally an hour and a half to the last one which appears to have a road going across it and to be almost in the centre of Pontypridd. Start around 8.30am on the top of the first summit, end around 5.30 pm on the last.

Looks perfectly do-able to me - though I’d probably spend longer at each summit. I must admit if my claim to that were to be challenged I’d feel pretty miffed if I’d gone to all that trouble to organise it! I’m looking forward to doing some of the Welsh summits some day - used to holiday in North Wales, and don’t really know South Wales at all, have only travelled through.

John GM8OTI

In reply to M0KPO:

Remarkable but entirely possible - requiring 4,000 ft of ascent and 15 miles of walking. From the timing of the spots it looks like he had about 25 minutes operating on each summit (based on my walking speed for those summits). That would have beem more than enough exposure for me given the temperature on Sunday.

If you look at the spots, you’ll see some were from his son so maybe a 'phone call was used to initiate them.

Whatever, it looks like excellent planning from someone who knows the hills. As you say, a SOTA superman in the making. I’m jealous!

In reply to Richard: If you look, you’ll notice I haven’t touched the core Brecon Beacons summits yet this year. Plans are afoot…

73, Richard

In reply to GM8OTI:

I must admit if my claim to that were to be challenged I’d feel pretty miffed
if I’d gone to all that trouble to organise it!

That’s one of the reasons I always try to get a photographic record of me on the way up, at the top and on the way down. Being a pleasantly plump sort of chap and thus not typical of the people you see out hill walking, I don’t want anyone challenging whether I got to the top or not!

The hardest part for me would be only spend a short time activating. It always seems to take longer than I expect to set up, activate and pack up.

Andy
MM0FMF

In reply to G4ERP:

It is salutary to google the record time for the Welsh fourteen 3,000s. Add a couple of hours for half a dozen activations and its an average day out on the hill! Come to think of it, the pony track up the Ben starts at little above sea level, so you do more climbing for your ten/thirteen points, add in Carn Mor Dearg and you have a total ascent of 1660 metres (5450 feet) and hundreds of people do that circuit on any fine day.

Richard and John are right, this guy looks good and may well set a record for his MG.

Brian G8ADD

In reply to G8ADD:

Richard and John are right, this guy looks good and may well set a
record for his MG.

Indeed! He is to be congratulated for his outstanding efforts. He is certainly a lot fitter than I am!
:slight_smile:

Walt (G3NYY)

In reply to M0KPO:

I guess then I will have to have a go at those summits soon since it all looks so easy.

They are not necessarily that easy Steve, they just take planning. SW-007 and SW-006 have a common access point and if you have the cheek to drive the track, then the time required to gain access is considerably reduced. SW-017 again is accessible up to the quarry, something which Paul and I didn’t do, but a local later told us it was okay. SW-008 is a walk up from the quarry (good navigational skills required to minimise the time required) and SW-025 is a hop up the bank. Add to this activations akin to contest operation, within the AZ and not necessarily at the summit itself and you can achieve the round relatively easily, but as I said, it all takes planning.

Personally doing it this way is not for me. I value highly the contacts I make from the summits and the friendship of the regular chasers who have supported both Paul and myself over recent years, many putting in that extra bit of effort to make contact. As I said in my earlier post, each to his own.

73, Gerald

In reply to M0KPO:

Now where is my Superman outfit and HF kit, in case I need that extra
help if my 2m kit does not work too well. I understand chasers in
Birmingham can not hear activators from these summits on 2m.

Cheers chaps

This must be true - I still need three summits in SW on 2m!

I don’t know what point you are trying to make. He was spotted twice on three summits, the spots were seperated by 18, 20 and 25 minutes. These were not smash and grab operations, and even if they had been, it would have been his choice as activator. Are you being cranky because somebody is faster over the ground than you? Just see how times contract if ever we attract fell runners, that really would be an eye-opener!

Frankly I do not like the tone you have adopted, you are coming perilously close to accusing him of cheating on the slender grounds that you couldn’t do it yourself. This discussion must end here and now.

Brian G8ADD

In reply to G8ADD:

These were not smash and grab operations, and even if they had been,
it would have been his choice as activator.

Aside from any undertones here, I find this an interesting point in its self. I often ponder the amount of time I spend on air during an activation, and more specifically, on each QSO. I am forever striving to find a balance between getting through everybody fast enough so as not to have people getting bored and wondering off without getting their contact, and maintaining an interesting level of dialogue. I think operators such as INKy do a very good job of striking this balance.

Dave MW0MYA

In reply to M0MYA:

I’m not a prolific activator, but I always make a point of staying on until there are no more callers. If I am still comfortable I will then try another band or on VHF, mode, if not I pack up and bale out. The length of each contact tends to mirror the chaser, if the chaser is brisk and businesslike I am brisk, too. If he wants a chat I oblige. On a few occasions I have worked almost contest style, once in a howling gale, once in a sudden snowstorm and once because of time pressure. If the conditions on the summit were unsafe I would have no hesitation in qualifying and then closing down, I’ve not done that yet, although on one occasion I reached the summit and then turned back without activating because of the conditions. It is always the activators call.

Brian G8ADD

In reply to G8ADD:

Succinctly put Brian.

73, Gerald