Quansheng-good news

Thank goodness you didn’t use a Baofeng. They’re only rated for small hatchbacks.

6 Likes

I now also have a UV-K5 for €21.80 including shipping. The first impression of the feel and the display is good and the sound in FM is clear and pleasant, both in reception and transmit.
But the locals on 2m was barely audible due to overdriving of the rx by a 100kW tv transmitter 3km away.

Now I wanted to install the IJV firmware k5_v2.01.31_publish.bin, but the link is dead. Can anyone help?

73 Chris

V 2.01.31 I can’t find but here’s the current release version.

Oh, just a minute 2.01.31 is the stock Quansheng FW version not IVJ - these are here:

2 Likes

For the CW fans :

I had ordered some 3.5 and 2.5 mm jacks, but they take the slow boat from China …
So I didn’t want to wait for those to arrive, and searched my proverbial junk box, and found cut-offs from some earbuds, one with a 3.5 and one with a 2.5 mm jack … OK.
I put them in an old Baofeng for the correct spacing, with some cling foil in between, to avoid glue getting into the rig.
Then used some epoxy to glue them toghether. It doesn’t look nice, but they stay at the correct distance.
Then I cut off the tip and ring of the 2.5 mm jack, as shown on the IJV manual page, in section 7.7.
For a quick test, I took a simple pushbutton as a primitive CW key, connecting the shields of the two connectors.
This is the result:

Tested it, it works OK.
Will add a connector later, to connect other keys or a PIC keyer.

@DD5LP
I found a cheaper connector than the Amazon link you posted.

but I fear it only connects to the the speaker connector, not the PTT lines. Maybe if you cut it open … but then it will look as ugly as my ‘el cheapo’ connector , hi.

Luc ON7DQ

2 Likes

Tnx Ed. After many attempts with a defective Boafeng programming cable, the installer is finally running with the backups.

73 Chris

2 Likes

I tested my Quangsheng UV-K5 for the first time today when activating it in SSB at 2m on DM/NS-008. Below a impression of the reception quality.

At home I then tested the device on the analyzer.
•••••••
EDIT Sorry Luc, I missed your post. Our measurements are not identical. It could be that the manufacturer has made improvements.
•••••••
The -60db required in Germany is not achieved. However, you should keep in mind that the included antenna may not be resonant on the 2nd harmonic and supplements the missing -14db. :crossed_fingers: :crossed_fingers:

73 Chris

2 Likes

Can you measure the sensitivity for 10dB SINAD in DSB mode?
Pretty interesting to know how many dB off an actual SSB rig it is.

2 Likes

I like to do that. Initially, the sensitivity seems to be quite good. However, it is limited by intermodulation from neighboring signals from mobile and radio/tv stations.

When I activated it for the first time, the background noise increased significantly when I switched from the included antenna (with selection in 2m and 70cm) to a broadband 1/2 lambda. I’m going to build a narrow band filter for 144MHz.

73 Chris

1 Like

According to the datasheet it is 0.16uV at 12db SINAD in FM.
73 Chris

2 Likes

On the way to the summit dm/ns-122 I remembered that there was a VHF contest taking place at the moment. I came up with the crazy idea of calling in SSB with my Quansheng. Here the result (85km :sunglasses:)
73 Chris

5 Likes

Well done Chris!
Good to see the little radio with just the rubber-duck antenna working well on DSB/SSB.
Perhaps an external speaker microphone would have made operation easier.

73 Ed.

2 Likes

What firmware are you using? The SSB reception was a lot better than I’ve been getting on mine with one of the IJV mods.

73 Chris

1 Like

Unfortunately, this one is listed in the meantime as well. Publication date: Feb. 8, 2024. So no option for HB9 :frowning:

73 Jens

3 Likes

Hi Chris,
sounds like big additions in the version 3 firmware - I wonder who will operate on the “bleeding edge” when it gets released? Perhaps worth waiting for v 3.1…
It’s great to see you making contacts with the current version of the software. I may try some 2m DSB contacts once the weather gets a little warmer.

73 Ed.

2 Likes

Yes, the BAKOM pays very close attention to compliance with the very strict regulations in Switzerland.
That’s respectable but of course a shame for you.
I could imagine an exemption for radio amateurs who can and should use the devices responsibly and technically well-versed. A transmission of max. 0.1 milliwatt on 288Mhz on a Swiss summit should be tolerable. *)
The more you can safely adhere to the specifications with a simple external harmonic filter.

73 Chris

*) Military aircraft also use a dedicated UHF-AM band from 225.0 to 399.95 MHz for air-to-air and air-to-ground, including air traffic control communication. This band has a designated emergency and guard channel of 243.0 MHz.

1 Like

My expectations for the UV-K5 with the IJV software were 100% fulfilled.
It was clear that the receiver was open like a barn door (that’s what they say in DL), but we also know that from well-known manufacturers.
A narrow input filter and a lightweight portable antenna is my next building project.

Unfortunately I hardly have any chasers on 2m*) in the Hanover area, especially in CW

73 Chris

*) except Pom DB7AC, Uwe DK8OA, Jürgen DF9OA, Klaus DL6MST

1 Like

Hi!
UV K5 in action: IARU Contest and SOTA SP/BZ-053
Works well on CW and quite well on SSB.

vy 73 de Mariusz

7 Likes

Hello friends,
I bought one of these, $25 with tax.
I bought it as a gift for a friend who uses MS Flight Simulator and listens to AM Aviação (I’m a beginner at MSFS. hihi).
I measured the original antenna and the surprise: 1.1:1 at 144.400 mhz.
This is very good to take with the HF station, and will give good power output.
I didn’t install a MOD, but it will be EZGumer, better for AM.
Carlos
PY2VM

1 Like

I wonder if one of the FM broadcast band blocking filters that are around on the usual sites for €10 - €15 might be able to be adapted to cover the second harmonic by changing the value of the (SMD) capacitors or inductors? (I realise this is meant as a receive filter but at 5 w PEP - it “may” survive transmit usage).

Broadcast Band Stop FM Block Filter 88-108 MHz FM Transmission FM Filter for SDR | eBay

Or even better if operating the HT on 70cm - cut out item 3 (BPF) from the NanoVNA RF-DEMO board:

73 Ed.