QSL Card Question

In reply to 2E0YYY:
My local post office in Uckfield has a very helpful manager. She found out that the order code for IRCs on the Royal Mail system was out of date and if they attempted to order on that code, no supply. On the new code she was able to order and I received 50 coupons. Current IRCs, as mentioned in the thread, have a expiry of 2013. I do not send dollars unless IRCs are not useable in the destination country (eg. Saudia Arabia). Logbook of the World works extremely well and some stations only use that system. The other big advantage of LOTW is that it free and automatically clocks confirmations up for such things as DXCC etc. A few thoughts… 8-)I can try and find out the order code if that helps. There will be some delay as at present I am crocked following an op on my knee.

In reply to 2E0YYY:
To be honest, now it’s on DD, I don’t mind paying for the membership. I enjoy the RADCOM mag and using the Bureau is so much cheaper than sending direct, even if it does take years. It’s less than half of what I pay to my union at work for membership and the monthly magazine is a lot more interesting too.

Andrew…
Yes, I used to watch the previous M6 manager’s website with interest, noting that he only received around 2 bundles of cards a year from the RSGB. I had a couple of cards from Mads in with mine. So cheers Mads if you’re reading this!

Jonathan
M6HBS

In reply to 2E0YYY:
I have been reading through the entire thread because the heading mentioned QSL.
Apart from UK-intern matters such as RSGB memebership there are some points I would like to comment.

First, some of you mentioned stating his QSL policy on QRZ.com. Well, I make approx 2000 QSOs plus a year. From this number, about one half are the first QSOs with the station on the particular band/mode and for such QSO I always send QSL via bureau. Exceptions: rare DX go direct and no QSL is sent when the station stated no interest in qsl during the qso. But I am not supposed to check all of one thousand calls on QRZ.com, am I? So some of my qsls will never get to the adressee, some do but are not answered. OK, c’est la vie. I may be old fashioned, but I have been told by my elmers 50 years ago that when not sending first, then at least replying to the incoming QSL is a matter of courtesy. Is courtesy an archaic word now?

Second, to LOTW: Someone stated it is good for DXCC etc. Right, but the “etc” does not go much far, at least till now. So for us interested in many other awards, LOTW does not help.

Finally, I will never use eQSL. I like the feeling of touching the paper card that comes from the hand of a human being on the other end. Better than eQSL is no QSL at all - see SOTA: no qsls required and the whole system works well on the basis of confidence.

Thank you for reading my thoughts to the end.
73 Ruda OK2QA

In reply to OK2QA:
i think that paper qsl’s are nice to have and exchange but only if it is a small number of cards per year. For those that take part in contests where you can make 3000+ contacts in a weekend its simply impracticle to paper qsl even 10% of that.

LOTW and E-qsl etc are not quite up to standard for all of the awards going but how many pieces of paper do we REALLY need hanging from the shack walls.
I’d far rather be on the air than filling in qsl’s. Electronic qsl’ing/no qsl’ing is the way forward.

Saving the eviroment a little and more time on the air!!

Adrian
MM0TAI