QSL Card Question

In reply to M0JLA:
I’ve always emailed them direct, Rod. Always found them very helpful.

73 mike
MW6MMM

In reply to 2E0YYY:

Mike,

Thanks; I will try that.

Rod

In reply to M0JLA:
Rod i have made your qrz.com page, let me know when you want me to hand it over to you, its tied to my account until i release it. but if i release it and your not ready to take it, some unknown person may take it instead.

Adrian

In reply to MM0TAI:

Adrian,

Thanks very much for this. I am now around for at least the next two hours, so if you can release it, yes please.

Rod

In reply to M0JLA:
Hi rod send me an email (address is in a post above) and I’ll get back to you through there. I’m at work just now but can do it anytime this evening for you!

Adrian

In reply to MM0TAI:

Whatever caused the original problem Adrian seems to have sorted it out for me. Many thanks for that.

M0JLA now has a record on QRZ that suggests restricted QSLs only, thus following up Walt’s suggestion.

I have even sent out envelopes for incoming QSL cards, just in case there are any!

Thanks for constructive comments and help,
Rod

In reply to M0JLA:
Your welcome rod!

It seems, from next year, if you are not a member of the RSGB, you will no longer be able to receive QSL cards via the RSGBs Bureau…

73 Mike
2E0YYY

In reply to 2E0YYY:

It seems, from next year, if you are not a member of the RSGB, you
will no longer be able to receive QSL cards via the RSGBs Bureau…

About time too. So why have we been subsidising non-members for so long? Now that the RSGB has accepted that it needs to do something about its financial position, I wonder if there are any other services paid for by the membership and extended to non-members that could be restricted.

Regards, Dave, G6DTN (RSGB member since I was first licensed)

In reply to M0DFA:

It used to be a requirement of membership of the IARU that the local national radio society provided a bureau for incoming cards for all amateurs in the country that was FOC. So it wasn’t up to the RSGB, if they wished to be part of the IARU they had to provide the service. It looks like the IARU have removed this now.

Andy
M0FMF/p

In reply to MM0FMF:
Hi all
I have a note on my QRZ.com page declaring I do not collect QSL cards so please do not send one. I will reply to one via the bureau on receipt of an inbound card or directly if postage is included, because I know some others really want one. Despite this, I recently supplied 8 envelopes to my QSL manager which have been returned with 100 cards. I am conscientiously wading my way thru them in order that I can return them but it is not part of our hobby that interests me at all. I do reply “no qsl pse” when I hear “via the buro” but may end up following Andy’s lead to go ex-directory!!!

Nice to meet you last night Andy - thanks for the Tonna.

I made a contribution to SOTA funds (only a small one) which I know was appreciated. There is a lot of expense behind this part of our hobby, which we all enjoy for free. Now, how can we send in some more? - cos he’s ex directory hi hi

What about a paypal donation button on the new shop site? (at the risk of de-railing this thread)

Regards
Dave

In reply to M0DFA:

About time too. So why have we been subsidising non-members for so
long? Now that the RSGB has accepted that it needs to do something
about its financial position, I wonder if there are any other services
paid for by the membership and extended to non-members that could be
restricted.

I tend to agree with you Dave, however, there will be people who would argue that (AIUI) qsl managers are unpaid volunteers. Nevertheless, with no licence fee to pay theses days, the RSGB membership subscription is a small price to pay and I’ve coughed up.

73 Mike
2E0YYY

I tend to agree with you Dave, however, there will be people who would
argue that (AIUI) qsl managers are unpaid volunteers. Nevertheless,
with no licence fee to pay theses days, the RSGB membership
subscription is a small price to pay and I’ve coughed up.

Even easier now with the easy pay options on Direct Debit, either monthly or quarterly. It saves £4 off the full price too.

Jonathan
M6HBS

In reply to M6HBS:

Even easier now with the easy pay options on Direct Debit, either
monthly or quarterly. It saves £4 off the full price too.

Three months free subscription and a year book chucked in, if you joined at the Lincoln Hamfest.

73 Mike
2E0YYY

In reply to 2E0YYY:
When I asked about the membership the reply was for new members and not renewals even through mine is a few months out of date they insisted it had to be backdated so my question was would you buy out of date food , but the brainwashed advice was nothing to do with membership so you got 8 months membership for 12 months cost .
It will be good when each callsign owned will have to pay for membership so those with 2 or 3 calls will start to feel the pinch ,

The QSL buro may also be changing the rules by only accepting one size card and no double folded ones plus if you work a lot of say as an example DL calls and send more than 2kg weight it is recommended you send direct to DL but rumor has it that this level may be reduced to only 1kg.

Roger G0TRB

In reply to G0TRB:

In reply to 2E0YYY:
When I asked about the membership the reply was for new members and
not renewals even through mine is a few months out of date they
insisted it had to be backdated so my question was would you buy out
of date food , but the brainwashed advice was nothing to do with
membership so you got 8 months membership for 12 months cost .

Hi Roger, nice to meet you at the Hamfest. What I got, was 15 months membership for the cost of 12 months. However this had to be done via D/D.

73 Mike
2E0YYY

In reply to 2E0YYY:
Hi Mike ,
Sorry forgot to say nice to meet , we had a fun time promoting the event call and awards which I won’t mention here Hi .

If the membership was paid for recieving cards then the volenteers would have to do more as the old call GB1WAB from 2009 has just arrived with cards so 2 years membership for 20 cards and before anyone says its a SES I know but its the same with normal callsigns . Its as well not many SOTA stations send cards
unlike IOTA who insist on cards for those who collect the awards.

Roger G0TRB

In reply to G0TRB:
I received my first ever batch of cards from the Bureau yesterday after 14 months of being licenced and sending cards through them. 24 cards in all, from a number of EU DXCCs & UK stations. Mostly they were from QSOs of a year or so ago, but one card was from a QSO in June this year, which did surprise me.

Mike…
When I had my renewal through last year after my 1st years membership as an SWL, I had a leaflet with it offering membership for £14.95 or something like that. I read the form through several times and it made no mention of being only available to new members, so I sent it off to renew my membership. I had an E-mail several days later from the RSGB stating that I had to pay the extra 35 odd pounds, as it was a membership renewal and the offer was for new members only. I challenged them as to the wording on the leaflet, which they admitted was misleading and would change, but I still ended up paying the extra. No ‘The customer is always right’ there!

Jonathan
M6HBS

In reply to M6HBS:

I received my first ever batch of cards from the Bureau yesterday
after 14 months of being licenced and sending cards through them.

Looks like the new M6 manager is having a clear-out… I got my first batch yesterday too, including a couple who say “Direct Only” on QRZ.com :confused:

I’m now near-enough 50% of the way to DXCC on both 40m and 20m… but I suspect the other half will need to wait until 2E or later…

In reply to M6HBS:

Mike…
When I had my renewal through last year after my 1st years membership
as an SWL, I had a leaflet with it offering membership for £14.95 or
something like that.

ISTR, there was a big row about seven or eight years ago (?) when new members were offered a promotion bargain introduction price of a guinea or some such price. However, a lot of new foreigen members jumped on the bandwagon, resulting in quite an expensive promotion.

73 Mike
2E0YYY