Qrz.com. Aliases Question

In the qrz.com database, I have numerous aliases. EG: when entering 2W0YYY or 2M0YYY it used to re-direct the user to the 2E0YYY page. For some reason it no longer does this, it just comes up with 2E0YYY alias match.

Is this a way of saying I now need pay a subscribtion to get this benafit?

73 Mike
2E0YYY

In reply to 2E0YYY:
In the last few days they have changed the callsign search feature and this might be an unintended consequence of that. I find that Amercans are often confused by our callsign system and the way the prefix mutates as we move around the UK. I suggest that you draw their attention to the problem.

Brian G8ADD

In reply to 2E0YYY:
Interesting Mike. I noticed this morning that my entry had changed. My full address had been put back in and my name Nick had been changed to Nicholas. In other words, the address data must have been re-read from my original application to join. I’d since edited it to cut out the street line and change my name to Nick.

When I tried my other calls, M6NJB came up with the full site, however 2W0FGQ came up with an alias-match as expected.

I suspect there is a slight bug in the SQL server causing these strange effects. Perhaps an email to the HQ might sort it out.

BTW, how do I change my callsign for SOTAwatch? I’ve done it for the database, but I still log into here with my old call which is not really ideal.

Nick
2E0FGQ

In reply to M6NJB (myself):

BTW, how do I change my callsign for SOTAwatch? I’ve done it for the
database, but I still log into here with my old call which is not
really ideal.

Answer: I was being stupid! I was using a different Mac in the shack with the old login.

In reply to M6NJB:

In reply to 2E0YYY:
Interesting Mike. I noticed this morning that my entry had changed. My
full address had been put back in and my name Nick had been changed to
Nicholas. In other words, the address data must have been re-read from
my original application to join. I’d since edited it to cut out the
street line and change my name to Nick.

Hi Nick,

Yes, my old M6MMM entry has suddenly re-appeard, this was deleted and replaced by 2E0YYY in order to keep the look-ups running. I simply re-entered M6MMM and all the derivitives of 2E0YYY as aliases which no longer work :frowning:

When I tried my other calls, M6NJB came up with the full site, however
2W0FGQ came up with an alias-match as expected.

I suspect there is a slight bug in the SQL server causing these
strange effects. Perhaps an email to the HQ might sort it out.

It would seem that way…

BTW, how do I change my callsign for SOTAwatch? I’ve done it for the
database, but I still log into here with my old call which is not
really ideal.

I can’t for the life of me remember how I did it Nick, no doubt someone will advise you.

73 Mike
2E0YYY

In reply to G8ADD:

In reply to 2E0YYY:
In the last few days they have changed the callsign search feature and
this might be an unintended consequence of that. I find that Amercans
are often confused by our callsign system and the way the prefix
mutates as we move around the UK. I suggest that you draw their
attention to the problem.

Hi Brian,

Yes, the UK callsign system is a bit of a dogs dinner. And as for 2E0, it`s a nightmare to get across sometimes. As you suggest, I’ll drop them an email and ask if they could look into it, although this may well be a real can of worms.

73 Mike
2E0YYY

In reply to M6NJB:

BTW, how do I change my callsign for SOTAwatch?

You don’t. You create a new account using the new callsign and stop using the old account. You can let Jon GM4ZFZ know that your old account is no longer wanted if you wish but that isn’t critical.

Andy
EA3/MM0FMF

In reply to MM0FMF:

You don’t. You create a new account using the new callsign and stop
using the old account.

Thanks Andy. As you can see from above I was having a senior moment! I logged in from a different machine which was still logged in via my M6 account. There was no problem as I’d changed accounts months ago!

Nick
2E0FGQ

In reply to 2E0FGQ:

Hi Nick,

I’ve emailed qrz.com to make them aware of the problem. However, there seems to be another problem. My callsign appeared in the current hot callsigns of qrz.com and even though I was using 2E0YYY, the call appeared as in the list as M6MMM.

Looks like its seeing the original account I created and not the current account.

73 Mike
2E0YYY

In reply to 2E0YYY:
Yes. I agree. See my earlier post (signed from M6NJB) this morning. My contact details had all reverted back to an earlier setting.

Maybe there was a more serious database problem which they’ve recovered from by using default values.

Time will tell and I await the response from your email with interest.

Nick

In reply to 2E0FGQ:

Maybe there was a more serious database problem which they’ve
recovered from by using default values.

Or maybe they’ve recovered from an old backup. Whereas my entry is correct I’ve only ever had the one callsign, one of my friends has reverted back to his M3 call and this shows his current 2E1 call as a pervious call. Looks like there’s a bit of work to do!

Peter
G1FOA

PS to Mike (YYY) may see you @ Kempton this weekend.

In reply to 2E0FGQ:

Hi Nick.

They emailed me back with reference number and a one to three day response time.

73 Mike
2E0YYY

In reply to 2E0YYY:
Stop moaning.

Get a full licence and your 2E0 issue will be a thing of the past.

Oh, BTW - it seems that you have too many callsigns (only the good Lord knows why you need more than one) and the QRZ database has been corrupted - all by you!

:wink:

After receiving an email from qrz to say there was nothing wrong with the qrz alias system and an email back from me saying there was, they have now emailed me to say they have now resolved the issue.

You will find your qrz aliases now work.

73 Mike
2E0YYY

Not working from the QRZ Search plug-in in Firefox - I get a ‘NOTFOUND’ page.

But working via the search box on the site itself.

Stewart
G0LGS

In reply to G0LGS:

If anyone ever finds M?0FMF on qrz.com will they let me know so I can get the operators to delete the details.

Andy
F/MM0FMF