QRP Labs news (New QCX-mini)

Hi all,
another new product from QRPLabs :

QCX/QCX+/QCX-mini and QRPworks SideKar Extreme integration
Date: Tue, 15 Dec 2020 01:35:21 UTC

QRP Labs and QRPworks are excited to let you know of the integration of the QCX (all models) and the new SideKar Extreme. The SideKar Extreme expands the capabilities of the QCX in multiple areas, such as:

Sending

• Send CW from a 2.4 GHz wireless or wired USB keyboard.
  • Send 20 user-defined messages (80 characters each) with one key press.
  • Messages can contain call sign substitutions.
  • Messages can contain contest serial numbers, which are automatically incremented.
  • Messages can be concatenated.
  • Messages can be a string of QCX CAT commands instead (for rig control).
  • Messages are easily edited in the field or at home.
  • 10 Groups of 20 messages each can be named (i.e. “POTA”, “Field Day”, etc.), saved, and downloaded as a group using the free Message Management Utility on a PC.

Receiving

• Read QCX decoded CW on an 80-character, sunlight readable screen, with Freeze and Scroll Back features.
  • 7 levels of backlighting for nighttime use.
  • New incoming data is stored while the screen is frozen.
  • Extra spaces are removed for easier reading and better screen management.

Logging

• Log 1000 QSOs with frequency, mode, date, and time automatically populated (SideKar Extreme contains a real-time clock).
  • SOTA, POTA, and other event logging. Ability to export designated QSOs (i.e. one SOTA peak). Can be used for any event or reason.
  • ARRL Field Day Dupe Checking feature. Very useful when Searching & Pouncing. Can be used for any contest that allows one QSO per band and mode.
  • DXpedition mode for faster logging (helpful when running).
  • Can export the log to a standard ADIF file.

More

• QSY from the keyboard by typing the desired frequency (i.e. 14060).
  • The SideKar Extreme contains a K1EL WinKeyer and can support CW and logging for any rig with a straight key input. Plus it integrates with and provides additional functions for the Elecraft KX2/KX3 and Yaesu FT-817/818.
  • More info at SideKar - QRPworks

Requirements:

QCX, QCX+, QCX mini:

• Firmware version 1.06 or newer
  • CAT port (standard on QCX+ and QCX minis. Can be added to QCX Classic revs 1-4 with 2 resistors, a diode, and a connector. Rev 5 only needs the connector. Components supplied free of charge when ordering a SideKar Extreme for a QCX).

SideKar Extreme:

• Firmware version 2.1.6 or newer

Vy 73 de

Hans G0UPL (QRP Labs)
Shel KF0UR (QRPworks)
Steve KB3SII (QRPworks)

https://www.qrpworks.com/

73 Éric

Rick decided not to post a link, so here it is:

https://groups.io/g/QRPLabs/topic/qcx_mini_critical/78967188?p=,,,20,0,0,0::recentpostdate%2Fsticky,,,20,2,0,78967188

1 Like

Well I’m hoping it (20m+case) comes in time for Christmas as I am on vacation from 23rd Dec to Jan 4th. as I will have time to build it. But the delay (I have not been notified yet) may be good so that I get the extra 10uF capacitor. I have plenty but no small ones. Maybe, just maybe the Covid restrictions will allow me out of the house and maybe, just maybe, the WX will be OK too for an activation! I can but hope :slight_smile:

I have a number of antennas I want to build/align but my garden is waterlogged. Stand still on grass in front and after 30sec you have sunk about 3cms into surface :frowning:

Looking forward to using it on some activations. I have a feeling it and some other “Altoids” style radios may replace my 817 when I am able to start travelling around Europe again should we manage to defeat Covid, agree Brexit deal and there being no Zombie Apocalypse after those two.

1 Like

Hello Andy,
Things are not always as they should be …
My kit should arrive yesterday but nothing! Today TNT tells me that it has just been collected and now in transit … for an arrival on December 17 :rofl:
This gives me time to find the extra 10µF capacitor :wink:
I made 4 activation with an 40m QCX and was very pleased with him :+1: I have also the 20m and 30m QCX, ordered a 17m QCX-Mini hoping for better propagation in the coming months.
I wish you a better weather so that you can work on your antenna projects.
73 Éric

It arrived in email and I was reading it via an ssh terminal on my mobile that has quirky copy/paste behaviour, so I was relying on eye and fingers… :wink:

1 Like

Bonjour Eric, Can you comment about the extra 10uF capacitor ? 73, Nicolas

Hi Nicolas,
one modification to do, read the post of Andy :

groups.io

QRPLabs@groups.io | QCX-mini critical modification advisory

73 Éric

Merci !! I should receive my QCX today … 73
Nicolas

1 Like

Finally got my QCX Mini today after yet another epic saga with the delivery. After specifically telling me they would keep it in the office so I could pick it up (how else would I get my hands on it before New Year), what do they do? Yes, they put it back on the van and try to redeliver it on the one day I’m not home. Don’t ever try to tell me privitisation has improved these services :smiley::laughing::rofl:.
73 de OE6FEG
Matt

My XYL was kind enough to order me a QCX mini. My eyes aren’t what they used to be so I’m awaiting delivery of it built. Also I’m awaiting for membership of the groups.io to be approved.

The question I have is that will built kits come with this critical modification already done?

73 Chris M0RSF

Hi Chris

Yes, assembled kits will all have the modification already.

73 Hans G0UPL

4 Likes

Hi Hans,
Nice to see you here :wink:
73 Éric

Sorry Hans, I deliberately avoided bellyaching about TNT on the ioGroup page, where it’s getting a bit much now. All’s well that ends well; looking forward to the build.
73 de OE6FEG
Matt

New Mini build…

The case isn’t buttoned up as I need to tweak some of the toroids for power output but just wanted to get a picture of what the finished product will look like (minus knobs). :slight_smile:

6 Likes

My QCX Mini kit turned up on Monday.
I gave the kit a very brief glance through the packaging to make sure there wasn’t any obvious damage and then fastened up the box again.
My mother in law gave me the funds to order my kit, so the package is going under the tree :slight_smile:

A TinySA spectrum analyser has just been delivered by Santa (dressed in a Royal Mail uniform!), funded by another family member, so that is also going under the tree.

I can’t wait for Christmas day, I think there will be some good stuff under the tree!

Colin

7 Likes

Hi Richard @N1RBD
Nice :+1: you are lucky ! I have to wait again …
There is my QCX-Mini :
Order ID: 40441
Date Added: 03/12/2020
At the first step It had to be delivered the 14/12…
I’m so far to the TNT …

Was happy with this one :yum:
Now I got this just now :

Don’t tell Hans, he’s already busy :relaxed:

Richard @N1RBD can you put here one photo of your the 10µF modification please !

73 Éric

PS : I’ve time to put it under the :christmas_tree:

2 Likes

Here is the 10uF mod. I’ll get a better photo when I get home.

Mod highlighted

3 Likes

My QCX-mini arrived today. It’s a 17 meter version. I have to find some time to make it.

2 Likes

When you wind L1/L2/L3 wind it clockwise. Easier to mount. You’ll see why when you look at the pad layout.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after reaching the maximum limit of 100 replies.