QRP Labs news (New QCX-mini)

496 sold in 2hrs… nice!

2 Likes

Well, well…
QCX mini build = 95$ + 20$ for the enclosure + shipping…
compared to a SW-3B at 188 $ for a 3 bands rig…

At least, i hope that all this cash will motivate G0UPL to finish his nice multiband QSX project that was announced 2 years ago… :grinning:

73, Patrick

QSX multiband/multimode. Already announced 2 years ago… :confused:
I hope G0UPL will work on this .

He meanwhile produced 2 new versions of the QCX which are only a rework of the original design i own.
Good commercial operation… :smile:

648 in under 12 hours is pretty good going. I don’t want to even contemplate what goes into developing an all band all mode transceiver from scratch. :exploding_head: Yes, the QSX is way behind schedule, but it must be way more complex than the QCX.
73 de OE6FEG
Matt

The QCX-MINI kit is $55
The enclosure is $20

=$75 USD + shipping. (~£56 GBP plus shipping)

For a smart single band boxed rig, that’s not a lot of money.

The QCX Mini is also different to the other versions, it has different connectors (easier to add an external amplifier) and a different display suitable for outdoor use. Another important change is upgraded semiconductors to reduce the RX current draw substantially.

I don’t see anything wrong with a kit producer listening to customer’s requests and producing a product to fill those needs.

73, Colin

3 Likes

Or those who didn’t buy the add on amplifier! :wink:

765 in the first 24 hours. I think the numbers speak for themselves.

Looks like a great little radio, but I’m holding on for the QSX when it eventually come’s out.

1 Like

Dare we dream of perhaps one day a QSX Mini…

1 Like

I just buyed one (30m and TCXO) for built It for a friend.

2 Likes

Anyone wanting a QCX Mini for Christmas had better get their skates on:

going, going…gone!

Yesterday Hans @G0UPL write :

" Tomorrow I’ll start ordering more PCBs, more parts and more enclosures to make another 1000.

73 Hans G0UPL
http://qrp-labs.com "

:yum:

1 Like

Just to add variety to this thread, I finished modding my QCX BaMaTech case so that the GPS connection will be the same as the QCX Mini. The two 3.5mm jacks fit perfectly under the PCB:

The wiring can be found in the QCX+ manual.

I even found a nice snug enclosure for my QLG1:

I salvaged an old keyboard cable for the shielded cable, it has one bare wire connected to the shield, so connecting the shield to ground was very simple. Not sure I want to camp out at the moment and try this all out; maybe in spring.
73 de OE6FEG
Matt

4 Likes

Hi all,
Here last message from Hans @G0UPL /

QCX-mini assembly manual published
Date: Thu, 10 Dec 2020 15:54:50 UTC

Hi all

I have published the first version of the QCX-mini Assembly Manual, see the QCX-mini page QCX-mini 5W CW transceiver kit and scroll down to documentation. Or click http://qrp-labs.com/images/qcxmini/manual_1_00.pdf to go direct.

Known omissions, which are still pending:

1. I need to update section 4 (circuit design section) for the QCX-mini. The schematic is virtually identical so the explanation is almost unchanged - the only addition really is the backlight switching circuit in the QCX-mini which allows the backlight to be switched off from the configuration menu
  2. I need to measure Receive current consumption at various voltages and update the graph near the end of the manual in the measurements section.

I went ahead and published the manual with these two minor items pending because some people are likely to receive their QCX-mini today, only 3 days after we started shipping (a day earlier than I expected). I will continue working on the remaining amendments and publish the update as soon as I can (probably tomorrow).

73 Hans G0UPL

1 Like

I used a D 9 way connector and serial computer cable for the GPS build I did a couple of years ago. I made a crude cover using smokey grey acrylic so the status LEDs could still be seen.

The computer cable would be rather bulky for a QCX though.

I will look at adding some 3.5mm connectors to my home brew QCX case, not sure if there’s enough room. I guess I might have to remove the key switch (don’t need it anyway).

73, Colin

Very happy :yum:
Just RX an Email from QRP-Labs and TNT

Your shipment will be with you soon
Good news. SUMMERS INTERNATIONAL has arranged for us to deliver your shipment. Your shipment will be delivered on December 14, 2020

:christmas_tree: Merry Christmas to all

1 Like

You ordered your QCX-mini about 400 units before I ordered mine. It will be interesting to see how quickly they can work through all those orders to get to mine.

Hi Andy,
Seen on the forum messages, the order of the commands is not necessarily respected, some have already received theirs while they were after me, which leaves hope to all :wink:

I’ve just seen an email on the QRPLabs list with the title:

QCX-mini critical modification advisory

Anyone with one of the first thousand kits shoulld go and read it before applying power to their completed QCX-mini. (It’s long and detailed enough that I’d not trust a cut-n-paste from my email to this reflector to reproduce the message accurately.)

2 Likes