QRP/CW rigs

Thanks Eddy…

73, Jarek

5 Likes

I think you should discuss with your wallet. The Youkits is 300$ and the LNR 350$, and thinking in performance all these little ones are practically the same. If you want 4 bands you have two much more cheap options SW3-B (188$)+QCX kit(55$) or 4 QCX kit(220$). I know, it sounds ridiculous! But with the money you save you can buy other necessary stuff for your portable station.

7 Likes

Thanks for all the context around these rigs. I’ve put the SW-3B in the list of possible radios. So, in the pic that @SP9MA shared, there’s an attached tuner. Are there advantages on these smaller radios to running a tuner, or does a resonate antenna work just as well?

Yes.

We’ve been here at few times before. I don’t like the term resonant antenna (it’s misleading). Some [on this website] have said their antennas are resonant across the band because they claim 1:2 VSWR. If you’re running QRP, you can’t afford to throw away that much of your precious RF power.

I tune my dipoles [and linked dipoles] for the small range of frequencies I tend to operate in [CW sub-band]. The 30m band is narrow enough to achieve a good VSWR at both ends of the band. But if you like to operate CW and SSB on 80m, 40m, 20m 10m, etc better use an ATU. Hence the advantage of those CW QRP rigs that have a built-in ATU.

73 Andy

3 Likes

See LNR have a production run of the MTR4b v2, could take a few weeks for delivery though.

Graeme

2 Likes

I have the hb1b, mtr3 lcd . I really enjoy the hb1b i keep expecting something on it to fail but in 5 yrs its still going strong. i like the volume control and swr indication, receive is good. the mtr is a lot of fun but rec volume is sometimes lacking and i dont really like the up down buttons for tuning but i still use is a lot and its a fun rig.
kc5bg mike

This is my favourite rig but unfortunately not available as a kit. It’s been on all my activations this year. If it does break at least I’ll be able to fix it.

11 Likes

I’ve only tried the LNR Precision MTRs (I have the 3 band and the 4 band) and I absolutely love both. Can’t go wrong!

3 Likes

I’ve got all the radios in your initial post. They’re all fun. My MTR-3b is an early version without the lcd. It’s a pain to know where I am on the band so the lcd version takes care of my main complaint about it. The youkits is easier to use so more pleasurable in my opinion. I also like it’s internal battery making set up faster and cleaner. It’s just a bit big so it doesn’t travel with me as often as the MTR does. The qcx is for 80 meters because my other two don’t have it and I wanted regional comms. If I were to start from scratch, I’d probably get the MTR4 and have it all in one.

3 Likes

hi,

Have a look here, I build the DB4020 and EGV+ both working superb.
There are some of my writings about them on QRPer.com

Tienda - Página web de ea3gcy (qrphamradiokits.com)

Frank

2 Likes

I am using HB-1B for SOTA activation for many years. It is good design, but it uses poor quality components. I already replaced few components and I need to replace few more.

1 Like

This is, in my opinion, a nice kit at a good price. Unfortunately, the trx is a bit large and I would have liked to have the operation from above… but that could probably be rebuilt.

I’d be tempted… but I already have enough devices. :thinking:

…what would totally turn me on would be a kit for 60m / 30m / 17m :kissing_closed_eyes:

73 Armin

2 Likes

Check out the TR-25, good on 20m and 40m with loads of front panel controls

My kit was thoughtfully prepared and a joy to build

6 Likes

All the parts in the KX1 are standard through-hole components. You’ll always be able to find spare parts. The one exception I can think of is the microcontroller and the fact that it has to be programmed. But Elecraft would probably be able to offer some help with that.

1 Like

I use my KX2 most often, but hands down my favorite CW-only QRP rig is my KX1. For the features it has it is more compact than anything else. It has a great built-in tuner option and can have up to 4 bands installed. For power I have used the internal battery holders for 4 LiFePo 14450 cells and two dummies. This give me 600 mAh at 12.7 volts, which is more than you need for one activation.

2 Likes

Through-hole components do go out of production. The 4-band board for the Elecraft K1 was discontinued in 2014 because the trimmer capacitors were no longer available. The K1 itself was discontinued in 2017 because parts were hard to get and expensive.

wunder

2 Likes

Wating waiting waiting for the TR-45

1 Like

Maybe I missed it but uSDX by Manuel DL2MAN is an interesting, very compact and inexpensive option.

It is generally multiband CW rig with added SSB/AM/FM modes. I do not mean Chinese copies from Aliexpress or eBay, but 8 or 5 band kit you need to assembly your self.

I converted QCX Mini into uSDX and it works as well as any QCX I have. New version with 3D case should be available shortly.

10 Likes