QMX - New 5 Band TRX from QRPlabs (Part 1)

I would guess it would still be 5 bands, so 20, 17, 15, 12 & 10.

This is a radio which I personally waited for a while.
Some similar is too expensive like mtr, some like sw-3b missing upper bands.

I think, problem with 15-10 meters on the software part and LPF (but not sure).
Previous QDX due to Chip has difficulties with sampling on upper bands, but with new chip I believe it will not be a problem for Hanz.

2 Likes

Why didn’t Hans ask me? A 40 -10 M rig would have been awesome.:blush:
Dale

3 Likes

As usual Hans comes with another surprise!
I wonder if Hans has considered Japan’s band plan since the 60m band is not authorized in these lands.

I just put my SW-3B on Ebay and ordered the QMX. Looking forward to building and testing.
73 de OE6FEG
Matt

2 Likes

BTW for anyone interested in HB9, My SW-3B (bought 2022, tested in the shack, then stored) is also available.

Note: The only reason I really want to part with this device is its long T/R switching delay, too long for me anyway.

1 Like

Yes, the T/R switching was a bit of a disappointment. If you send under 20wpm then it probably won’t bother you, but it becomes a problem at higher speeds.
73 Matt

Congratulations on the successful sale at a fair price.
My SW-3B is still waiting for an interested party (no international shipping), hi.

73, Heinz

1 Like

Funnily enough, I got the now customary ‘why is the shipping so high?’ message.
It’s very strange to me: if I included shipping in the final price, then people would take that into account and bid more. If you increase the shipping, those same people are unable to adjust their final bid downwards to compensate for what they see as unfair additional charges. Slightly elevated shipping protects me from making a loss in the event of a low sale. Anyway, I’m sure no one here has time to bother honest Ebayers with such daft questions.
73 de OE6FEG
Matt

1 Like

For some time I have offered free shipping on the stuff I put on eBay. Of course it’s not free at all but worked into the item pricing. It seems to make my selling life easier.

3 Likes

Hi Matt,
That is the problem - it happens all-the-time on eBay and sellers see it as a way to receive the required price but avoiding the higher eBay commission costs for a higher starting price. For the bidders however the shipping costs are actually shown on the page where the bidding starts - but for those used to free-shipping or standard shipping rates from commercial sellers, this is often missed and hence the bad feelings when they win at a price they bid only to find they are expected to pay more than normal for shipping, making the overall price to them more than they wanted to pay.

The problem would go away if eBay set a standard commission rate for private sellers irrespective of the starting price, but then eBay would make less money out of the sales.

73 Ed.

2 Likes

I haven’t sold on eBay for a long time so I checked the seller fees on the UK site. There is no listing fee for up to 1000 private listings a month. The final value fee is 12.8% of the sale price including postage. So it makes no difference whether you include postage in the price or raise the postage and lower the price. The only advantage I can see is that raising the postage lowers the starting price and this can encourage bidding.

Perhaps the German and other eBay sites set their charges differently to the UK.

In the past there was no final value fee on postage so some sellers would sell an item for, say, £1 with £40 postage. Not surprisingly eBay weren’t keen on this abuse.

1 Like

In Germany, there are https://www.kleinanzeigen.de/ … there are no sales charges here.

I find the selling fees on ebay quite high by now and prefer to sell here.

Don’t you have something like that on your site?

73 Armin

2 Likes

I’m going by my experience in Australia, when I sold lots of my gear before returning to Europe, it used to be that you paid almost no charge if you started the bidding at 99 cents but then eBays percentage “cut” went up when you went over $9.99, $19.99 and so on.

It may have changed in the meantime - I would expect a similar policy across all of the different eBay country sites but I have no way to be sure.
It’s possible that the “Classified Ads” version of eBay may be different again but they tend to have a smaller (local) audience compared to the main sites where posting on the German eBay your sales page is visible from the UK, US and AUS sites (or it used to be).

73 Ed.

1 Like

eBay Australia charges pretty much the same fees as the UK.

eBay Germany no longer charges for private sales on eBay. I think this may apply across the EEA.

There are now “only” sales commissions (for technical items):

11% for each share of the sales price up to EUR 990.00
2% for each share of the sales price above EUR 990.00

And shipping costs are included in the selling price. Since payment is made via ebay, the amount is deducted immediately when it is transferred to the seller.

So if you sell a device for 480 euros and have 20 euros in postage costs yourself (which the buyer pays) - in the end you are left with 425 euros, which you ultimately receive for your device.

But the buyer has paid a total of 500 euros.

73 Armin

1 Like

Hi all,

From Hans @G0UPL

“”
#QMX /P video #qmx
Date: Wed, 07 Jun 2023 22:31:10 UTC

Hi all

Hannes DL9SCO (Palm Radio keys) is visiting for a few days and we took a QMX out for an afternoon of mountain portable operation here in SW Turkey. Had great fun on 20m CW. TA4/DL9SCO had 8 QSOs and Hans TA4/G0UPL 6 QSOs in about 2.5 hours operating. We worked 10 countries in total between us.

Firmware is the alpha 1_00_001 and is in need of some work obviously but is basically functional.

Here’s our 7 minute YouTube video!

73 Hans G0UPL

“”

73, Éric
F5JKK

5 Likes

Thanks Eric

I really wish we could’ve got Turkey into SOTA! Would have been even more fun.

Something I’d like to try next time is to download the mobile phone app for FT8 then with an OTG USB cable we could try FT8 digi too, which QMX also does very well. Just for laughs (I do prefer CW). We would not have had any trouble getting enough CW QSOs anyway for a SOTA activation.

Amazing fun!

73 Hans G0UPL

5 Likes

Hi all

Since I was here… I read the whole topic now ;-). so some other comments:

Several people were asking about higher or other bands Yes! The firmware supports it. It requres different LPF and BPF component values (capacitors and toroids) which I have to source. Then those higher band versions will be available soon.

For those who aren’t interested in digi or phone… Just don’t use those features… You still have a great robust multi band CW transceiver with top performance and features at a very low price.

QSK: I spent a lot of effort in making sure the hardware is capable of excellent and smooth QSK performance. The transmit/receive switchover latency measures around 15ms which is very favourable, for example Elecraft KX3 40ms, Elecraft K3S 14ms, QRP Labs QCX 22ms.

73 Hans G0UPL

21 Likes

Has anyone received and built their QMX and used it on an activation? I am curious :slight_smile:

I am still waiting for my assembled version and I am aware it will take another few months to get it.