QCX Mini Part 3

Hello HAMs,

Could you do I favor and answer following question about QCX mini.

I am a beginner I recently assembled QCX mini. It seems that Rx and Tx work without issues.
But each time I rotate VFO knob I hear in headphones quite noticeable “click” even with antenna connected.

This is not mechanical “click” and it appears during frequency change, menu change. Also “click” present when rotate knob with disconnect the LCD module.

Is this common QCX mini problem or particular item?

I had a quick search on the QRP Labs Forum and there are a lot of references to “clicks”. This might be a good place to look. Mine doesn’t make this noise so something is wrong.

https://groups.io/g/QRPLabs/topics

1 Like

Hello,
I burnt my QCX mini V1 during my last Sota activation …Before, I had already a little smoke with the “original” capacitor, and I change to a bigger one. But again during an hot-plug, smoke appears again … and now it is more serious : AMS1117 regulator destroyed, ATMEGA128 out, one output transistor broken in twice (strange because not powered with the 5V …), LCD out of order … and when I replace all (I have some spare) … the Si5351A is not responding ( system error) … I will try to change it … I have a QCXmini V2 with a 78M05 regulator and it work fine … So I suggest (as it is discussed in the QRP Labs forum) for your QCX mini V1 to replace the AMS1117 with a 78M05 regulator. The pattern is not the same but you have to shift a little the regulator on the left, solder directly the pin1 (input) to the diode, and pin3 (output) is placed in front of the output pad.
Best 73, Nicolas

Thank you,

My QCX mini PCB has Rev2.

Yes, I believe so. Mine does it, but I view as a way of getting audible feedback that I am doing something :slight_smile:

2 Likes

QCX Mini is made for activator not for chaser … you don’t have to change the frequency !!! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

5 Likes

This looks for me like some Tecsun radios with “soft-mute” =)

Andrew, do you have clicks with connected antenna?

Whenever. I believe it’s an artifact from the microcontroller, if I recall what I read.

Andrew,

May be you have link or recall a little bit more context?
It seems like digital noise through power line go to the audio amplifier. But I am not sure…

Probably this topic about my question, but I am not sure:
https://groups.io/g/QRPLabs/topic/tuning_without_detents/83479950?p=,,,100,0,0,0::recentpostdate%2Fsticky,,,100,2,0,83479950

Have you joined the QCX groups.io group? There is a wealth of info on there for you to use.

MM0FMF,

Yes, I already also asked about this behavior.

Yes you have and now I have uncrashed my webmail display (can’t do proper personal email from work computer) I can see you have asked the question. You need to search the previous posts on there because it has been discussed before but I cannot remember what was written.

Hi @SP2RM , I found that the tuning clicks were much reduced when the display was only showing one line of frequency - so when on morse decode for example, there was little/no click interference. Of course your device may differ.
I found it not to be a problem when in that mode.

Alan

I will record video with clicks on my QCX mini.
It has strong click with de-attached display panel in my case.

An as mentioned VK3ARR this does not depend on antenna, dummy load, etc connected.

MM0FMF, I did a search on groups.io but sometimes my English level does not allow me to select proper words for sufficient search =)

Yury, your English looks fine to me.

But I think I vaguely remembered how the original question was asked which helped me find it just now.

https://groups.io/g/QRPLabs/message/21528?p=,,,20,0,0,0::relevance,,tuning+click,20,2,0,11448361

2 Likes

Recorded video with clicks of my QCX mini to make sure we are on the same page.

1 Like

Since I use QCX-mini (20 m and 40 m) I noticed sometimes a strange CW tonality while TX. The sound seems to be saturated when I use an apple headset or a light JVC headset. This is not the fact with my QCX+. And when I use my home headset no problem too… but it is too heavy for SOTA activation. Another feedback on this problem ??? 73, Nico

Nico, if you mean the sound of the tone is very harsh this is a known problem and seems to be due to RF. My 20m QCX+ doesn’t do it but my 30m QCX Mini does. I’ve tried clipping ferrite beads on the audio cable and this helped a little but the best solution is to move all the cable around and see what improvements can be made. Keeping them apart seems to work. Earthing the QCX Mini made no difference.

It is possible your home headset has a screened audio cable and this is why it doesn’t suffer.

John

Same experience here with QCX Mini 17m, when operating in close proximity of the antenna.
I see it as an advantage …
I use that Mini often /P with a Fuchs antenna, I tune the parallel network until I have the strongest harsh tone. It corresponds to best SWR or maximum transmitted signal. There is an LED indicator in that Fuchs tuner, but it is difficult to see in bright sunlight, so listening for the tone is easier …
Not very scientific, I know, but it works for me :wink:
Luc ON7DQ

5 Likes