Pym Chair to The Cat and Fiddle

This is my first activation I’ve done with my mates and not my Dad M1EYP. However my Dad M1EYP picked up all my mates in the Macclesfield and Bollington area and drove us all to Pym Chair.

The first pick up was Edward in Macclesfield. Edward is interested in getting a Foundation Licence. We then drove to Bollington to pick up Craig and Hunter from Craig’s house in Bollington. We then drove up the country lanes to Pym Chair.

We got all our kit out of the car and I adjusted my walking poles ready to set off the walk. One of my walking poles I adjusted went too high and bent at the start of the walk. It was alright for walking up to the summit of Shining Tor G/SP-004. We all enjoyed the walk along the ridge up to the summit of Shining Tor G/SP-004 in the clear weather, talking about our School Prom which will be happening in early July.

Once we were on the summit it started raining. I got a photograph of my mates at the trig point. We all ate our lunch and the rain had stopped. I then started with the activation. I called CQ on the VX-110 hand-held, but got no answer. I was also in mobile phone contact with my Dad M1EYP who said he would try and work me, but couldn’t hear me. My Dad did put a spot on SOTAwatch. I heard M3SNV/P calling on the calling channel and I managed to work him for a first contact. After this I got a further 7 contacts before decending.

We all started to decend and my bent walking pole broke into 2 pieces. I managed to carry this walking pole back to the Cat and Fiddle. Most of the decent was in rain which made it unpleasant.

We walked into the Cat and Fiddle pub and me and Edward had a cup of tea. Craig and Hunter didn’t have a drink. I phoned my Dad M1EYP to come and pick us up. My Dad picked us up and he took a picture of all of us at the Cat and Fiddle sign. He then dropped of all my mates at the same places where we picked them up.

This was a great walk and we now hope to walk up Shutlingsloe and activate for Adventure Radio. Thanks to everybody who worked me.

Jimmy M3EYP

In reply to M3EYP:
Well done Jimmy :slight_smile:
Sorry couldn’t hear you but Black Hill is in the way.
Next step solo activation? I’ve only done two which were on ‘No Dog’ summits, Tansy (my dog) usually goes everywhere with me.

Roger G4OWG

In reply to M3EYP:
Nice one Jimmy. One of those days out with your mates that you will look back on in years to come.

Thanks for sharing it and it’s interesting to note you ended up in the pub…
…for a cup of tea. I see you are well trained.

73 Marc G0AZS

Hi Marc,

I’m not 18 yet. This is why I had a cup of tea.

Jimmy M3EYP

In reply to M3EYP:

Well done Jimmy. Thank you for the contact.

Richard
G3CWI

Well done Jim, on leading a walk with lads your own age, over a linear moorland route in unideal weather. A pity I was stuck in a grim corner of Macclesfield with no receive on you while you were activating.

Well done also on inspiring three 16 year olds to do that walk with you on a day like today. They must think highly of you, and trust you!

Mind you, I shouldn’t be surprised. You have been planning, organising and leading all our joint expeditions for some time now! Good luck with the AR activation of Shutlingsloe.

Dad M1EYP

In reply to M3EYP:

Hi Jimmy,

A BIG Well done on your first activation without your Dad, Sorry I missed you would have loved to get my call in your log.

Looking forward to many more from you and hope to get a couple or three S2S with you!!

Shuttlingsloe is a nice walk in good weather so good luck with that also.

and finally, Good luck to Edward for his foundation Quiz, I am sure with you helping him he will pass with flying colours!!

Tony