PY1/RJ-018 - Bico do Papagaio

The activation of the “Bico do Papagaio” (PY1/RJ-018) was completely unexpected. That’s why I didn’t post an alert the day before.

Initially, my wife and I planned to stay in the lower part of the Tijuca National Park, in a small waterfall called “Cachoeira das Almas”, a very beautiful place with clear and fresh water.

But the day was very beautiful and we decided to continue our walk to the summit of Bico do Papagaio (PY1/RJ-018).

When we got there, I started making calls on the local repeaters with my cheap HT and soon the PU1KJA answered me on the 146,870 repeater.

We then made a direct contact at 144,550 and his signal was very strong and clear. By SOTA rules, a single contact guarantees the activation of the summit, but not the desired 6 points.

So I told my friends from the Brazilian SOTA community on my cell phone that I was at the summit doing the activation and PY1II told me to stay a few more minutes at the summit!

It was great advice! A small but intense pile-up quickly formed and I made contact with the following stations: PU1KJA, PU1JSV, PU1WTW, PY1NP, PY1NS.

As a result, only Pedra do Conde (PY1/RJ-027) has not yet been activated in that highest part of the Tijuca Forest.

It will be an honor to have any of you present in this activation for team work!

Tracklog: https://pt.wikiloc.com/trilhas-trekking/sota-ativacao-do-bico-do-papagaio-py1-rj-018-91216609

9 Likes