Puma spotted in Snowdonia?

Has anyone else seen the report of a Puma spotted in Snowdonia? What on earth it would be doing on Crib Goch is anyone’s guess, chasing mountain goats?

Roger

12 Likes

Are wild puma found in the UK? Everything I have read indicates the puma (a.k.a. cougar, a.k.a. mountain lion) is a New World species. Have they been introduced, or escaped, or something?

There has been quite a few sightings reported around the UK over the years. If true they would have been released/escaped from private collections. The dangerous wild animals act was introduced in 1976 which mean’t a licence was required to keep such animals. Puma’s aren’t native to the UK.

Perhaps it’s the famous Beast of Bodmin on holiday…

3 Likes

I’ll go with “or something”, probably connected with the power of folklore. Just about every slightly remote bit of the U.K. seems to have its own stories of un-identified predatory prowlers. Occasionally an escaped zoo animal is caught. Sometimes associated photographs turn out to show rather smaller and more familiar creatures when analysed. Sometimes the mystery remains. The Press usually can’t resist the stories…

3 Likes

Some locals reported having seen this “Panther” in Sierra Norte of Guadalajara, Spain. The authorities (SEPRONA) never found it.
The newspaper said this spotting panthers and the like thing is a National sport in the UK…
People’s imagination has no limits and we must have run out of UFOs :wink:

Guru

2 Likes

No. They are reported in remote parts of the UK about as regularly as Big Foot is spotted in the USA. :wink:

1 Like

Somebody was over feeding their house cat during the Covid lockdown and it escaped :slight_smile:
Dec

2 Likes

Maybe it was the Beast…

5 Likes

Fat cat from Whitehall?
Pumas, Cougars and Tasmanian tigers are sighted each year prior to the tourist season.

R

Well it’s obviously not keeping up with the latest travel restrictions then. Who’s going to go and tell him?

1 Like

Genius… how Ardal O’Hanlon got that speech out without cracking up I do not know.
Scary that it is 20-25 years ago.

3 Likes

Last year, the presence of puma was signaled in my area, but they commented it freely as the information scares the competition for mushroom pickers because it was just top season …

2 Likes