Proposal "Winner - Winner"

You can see every first activation ever made on the database, it has been supported since the first SOTA database was put online You cannot search for your own first activations. There is a difference.

I can solve this first activation issue very easily… I’ll simply mark every unactivated summit with a fictious callsign timed at the moment the association came into existence. No more unactivated summits, no more demands for awards that disenfranchise people who come to SOTA in the future. :wink:

1 Like

It is worth remembering that there is no time limit on uploading logs to the database. It follows from this that all “firsts” recorded are presumptive, and there is always a theoretical risk that they will be superseded by an earlier log uploaded later.

I think this alone is sufficient reason not to make any kind of award or bonus for them.

Martyn M1MAJ

6 Likes

As an activator, I’m not worried about being “disenfranchised” by someone else getting bonus points for being the 1st. However, here in the states we have many summits that are on private property or could be dangerous to reach for various reasons. I feel that lucrative “1st activation bonus” could be a temptation to either break the law or risk one’s safety. Granted, both risks are to be borne by the activator, but this creates what the law types in the US refer to as an “attractive nuisance”, which is a concept placed upon things like swimming pools without fences and such.

Chris

4 Likes

Does anyone really feel “disenfranchised” by the first ascender when they climb a peak as part of SOTA or other climbing activities? Really?

My own response is gratitude to the person who put in the effort to work out a route and demonstrate, possibly via multiple attempts, that the summit can be reached. Doubly so if the first activator takes the time to put up a route description and/or GPS track.

Pioneering peaks is an important and honorable (in both senses of the word) part of SOTA and hearing it’s something the SOTA MT “does not wish to promote” leaves me shaking my head.

1 Like

As has been made abundently clear on multiple occasions, SOTA acknowledges first activations and records them on the summit pages. Promoting them in the meaning of urging and rewarding them is not something that the MT wishes to do. Frankly, if you need to click on the database to see a list of your own first activations (a list that would be empty for most participants) then you haven’t been paying attention to your own exploits.

I think that this discussion is nearing its end, perhaps it should be closed because the MT is not open to persuasion on this.

2 Likes

Huzzah

Elliott, K6EL

1 Like