Proposal "Winner - Winner"

You can’t because it’s not considered something we (SOTA MT) wish to promote at the time.

It’s under the info for each summit Matt.

1 Like

Right, however I think having this option on the SOTA Database “my results” might accomplish the same Chris F4WBN is suggesting. While not a bonus, it would be a way to be recognized without revamping the awards scheme.

1 Like

Activators are acknowledged in the mapping database. 73 of my 119 uniques were FA which is exciting but does take some additional research for sure. Some are in more SOTA populated areas and don’t have such an opportunity. I am guessing less emphasis on FA encourages others to keep activating regardless? One thing with FA, I feel obligated to offer public info on pnwsota and sotamap site so the next ops have an idea of what its like.
Amy

2 Likes

That information (first time activation’s) is available at “https://sotastars.com/”…but only for VK, ZL, and USA Activators.

Pete
WA7JTM

1 Like

Unfortunately it’s not totally accurate

Shack Amy, I saw the same thing when I checked SOTAStars earlier. It has about 70% of my actual activity.

1 Like

Have either of you reported this to the author? I’m sure he would like to fix that but he needs to know.

Ron
VK3AFW

1 Like

It’s Albion who makes the final decision. It was just a proposal…
73’s to all
Chris - F4WBN

C’est ça!

Albion is too busy playing football!

The proposal does not find favour with the MT for reasons given above, but all proposals are given consideration. Incidentally although SOTA began in the UK the current MT is an international body spanning the globe maintaining contact via internet and because some are asleep when others are awake discussions can be slow! :wink:

2 Likes

I’ve been on committees like that but all in one room.:grin:

Ron
VK3AFW

5 Likes

Is that what you call it? :rofl:

I was giving them the benefit of the doubt!

1 Like

Pete,

Thanks for pointing this out! I was unaware this existed. It’s great to have a source for important information that the MT deems unimportant.

If there are some bugs hopefully they can be corrected. Perhaps those who know their first activation count could compare it to the result on the sotastars site and, if they see a problem, pass the result of the hand count on to the site for use in debugging.

73, Mike - ke5akl

1 Like

We deem the first activation so unimportant that we have recorded it on every summit page along with writing code to disambiguate activations to genuinely track which is first. If you are going to snipe, you could at least be factually accurate.

1 Like

Not that anybody other than the first activator is interested to see it. I mean, what is the significance of who was first, do many people look at that when looking at the summit data page? First activation info is a lot less significant than, for instance, the first recorded ascent, in some cases it wouldn’t even be the first time someone operated ham radio from that summit, for instance I activated several summits decades before SOTA came into being! In my opinion SOTA has done enough with putting the first activation on the summit data page. Effort is better spent on adding new Associations.

4 Likes

Disagree.

I find the history of the programme very interesting. Who did first activations of summits, who were first MGs (by association, gender etc), as well as other historical achievements.

I do think we have the balance right in that these are recorded, somewhere, but not over-prominently, and not attracting additional points in the honour rolls.

2 Likes

I’m content to agree to disagree over the interest in summit and SOTA history, personally I am much more interested in the history of the summit as a structure, its geology and morphology but the old “different strokes” saying applies.

Agreed.

1 Like

From your own post earlier in this thread:

MM0FMF

5d

You can’t because it’s not considered something we (SOTA MT) wish to promote at the time.