Proposal for a VK/ZL<-> UK/EU S2S event (Part 2)

The pub near work run by the local flat earth society has a couple.

3 Likes

I have a globe and I had never thought of using it like that.

Thanks for putting it in my head.

For years I ve been relying on the Yaesu map you get with new rigs (or used to get, now you get a hat - but that is a whole different topic) on a felt board and push pins.

I’m going to grab the one from the lounge when the wife isnt looking as its actually quite a nice lamp too :slight_smile:

Other globe matters: We have a TV show in the UK called Bargain Hunt where contestants find stuff at car boot sales and sell at auction. Globes always seem to do well, especially pre-world war 2 globes. Those and enamel signs are my tips if you ever find yourself on the Red or Blue team :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi Ian,

It wasn’t my idea really, I read an article somewhere explaining the SP/LP relationship, suggesting a piece of string between two points on the globe and explaining that the shortest distance is a straight line. I rummaged around trying to find something that would do that and finally found some elastic cord intended for garment repairs. Cut to length and tie the ends together.

And it occurred to me also that the dynamic beams use the reversal concept when they provide a sp/lp switch which changes the antenna from pointing SP to pointing LP without any rotation or direction change. They adjust the element lengths to reverse the direction of the beam by 180 degrees. The reflector and director of a 3 element yagi, when reversed in roles, change the direction of the beam. It all makes sense.

I found it very educational to see the countries traversed by the signal on the way around the globe

73 Andrew VK1DA/VK2DA

1 Like

To better assess local DX conditions, I cranked up my WsprNet beacon DL1CR to 200 mW.

73 Chris

2 Likes

I was obviously lucky when I recognized VK4FW on POTA this morning and heard him working through a pileup of European stations - without my being able to hear a single one of those stations myself (meaning zero QRM from kilowatt PAs or beam antennas, hi).

So, I only had to call for about five minutes before making my first chaser POTA QSO with VK - and all this using my ā€œalmost invisibleā€ indoor doublet antenna.

As it turned out, my luck lay largely in the fact that the QSO happened just moments before he went QRT, right after he had thoroughly fished out the ā€œpond,ā€ hi.