Proper Food

A topic for a wet day :slight_smile:

Decided, due to the weather forecast not to attempt Glydr Fawr yesterday and went climbing on slate instead (Dalis Hole). Whilst the rain did not come till mid afternoon, it would have been cold and damp. So that project will now be left till next year.

After returning to Llanberis we sought out food at Peteā€™s Eats. This led me thinking about other ā€œproper foodā€ establishments.So to start the ball rolling, here are my top 3.

1. Eric Jones Cafe (Tremadog)
  2. Lover Leap Cafe (Stoney Middleton)
  3. Peteā€™s Eats (Llanberis)

Ian
G7ADF

In reply to G7ADF:

If in the SP region, thereā€™s only one place to eatā€¦

Mickā€™s place in Clitheroeā€¦

The mince and chips with crusty batch is highly recommended :slight_smile:

73 Mike

In reply to GW0DSP:

For GM activators, there are 3 lovely simple 2 pointers on top of the village of Broughton (home of John Buchan author of The 39 Steps). These are Broughton Heights, Penvalla and Trahenna.

Located in Broughton is The Laurel Bank Tearoom which is open 7 days a week. They do some excellent cakes according to Mrs FMF. It was very busy the Sunday we visited and a nice cup of rosy was a pleasant way to end a good day of SOTAing. Well worth a visit.

http://www.laurelbanktearoom.co.uk/

Andy
MM0FMF

There were some great scrans along the Pennine Way, which may well be convenient for dropping into on the way home from some SOTAing. The Red Lion at Earby, The Olde Nags Head at Edale, The Top Brink Inn at Lumbutts, The Langdon Beck Hotel, The Geroge & Dragon at Garrigill and the Border Hotel at Kirk Yetholm all served excellent grub.

On more usual SOTA haunts, there is a decent cafe in the caravan park on the left on the road up to Moel Famau NW-044, and the Ponderosa on Horseshoe Pass between NW-042 and NW-043 never disappoints. I echo the comments about Peteā€™s Eats, but the Spice of Llanberis restaurant is my first choice in that town. On the way home from Snowdonia, the Bengal Palace in Colwyn Bay is also excellent.

Lordā€™s Stones Cafe on Chop Gate, at the foot of TW-002 is pretty good. We have always enjoyed the food and beer at the Scafell Hotel (Riverside Bar at the side/back) in Borrowdale.

The best grub for the start of a SOTA day for me would be a choice between Lymm Truck Stop (M6 J20) or Westmorland Farm Shops (Tebay) services on the M6.

The best feed for the end of a SOTA day has got to be the Weston Balti Raj in Macclesfield. It has an amazing Ā£7.95 menu (Sunday to Thursday) where you get pappadoms, any starter, any curry, any vegetable side dish and any rice or nan all for that price. Donā€™t be fooled by the price though, the food and the service is superb, and it is no coincidence that the EYP family and the CWI family keep bumping into each other there on a Sunday afternoon/evening! And they serve Bangla Beer.

Maybe I should organise a ā€œSOTA Curryā€ at this establishment one Sunday teatime/evening. Would anyone be interested?

In reply to G7ADF:

Someone should collate all of this and create the SOTA Good Food Guide - have it available to download as a PDF file from the main website.

In reply to M1EYP:

Maybe I should organise a ā€œSOTA Curryā€ at this establishment
one Sunday teatime/evening. Would anyone be interested?

So long as there no access restrictions, count me and Jane in :slight_smile:

Ian

In reply to GW0DSP:

If in the SP region, thereā€™s only one place to eat
Mickā€™s place in Clitheroeā€¦ But you have to have the Fish & Chips from his local Mike absolutely great.

73 Terry

In reply to G0VWP:

In reply to GW0DSP:

If in the SP region, thereā€™s only one place to eat
Mickā€™s place in Clitheroeā€¦ But you have to have the Fish &
Chips from his local Mike absolutely great.

73 Terry

The mince and chips came for free, hi.

73 Mike

There would be no problems with access Ian. Any more? Any suggested dates?

In reply to G7ADF:
Ian, I havenā€™t been into Peteā€™s Eats for 25 years and Iā€™m glad to hear that it still exists. Do they still do the Big Jim meal, a bigger challenge than E7 7c!

Brian G8ADD

I think thatā€™s what I had in there when I was last in, in 2004.

Just checked, and indeed it was, and I even mention it in my report:

http://www.qsl.net/m1eyp/snowdon1.htm

In reply to G8ADD:

Do they still do the Big Jim meal

ā€¦named after the late, great Jim Jewell.

You must be the same climbing era as me Brian. Last time I went to Peteā€™s was on a Poly. climbing ā€œexpeditionā€ to N. Walesā€¦ about 20 odd years ago.

Anyway Tomā€¦ bring on the curry night, I might make it an excuse to come North and try my hand activating one of your ā€œbumpsā€.

73 Marc GƘAZS

In reply to GW0DSP:

The mince and chips came for free, hi.

73 Mike

Well Mike just have to twist his arm a bit next time I go over that way and get him to do the mince hi.

Terry

In reply to G8ADD:

Still going strong, and the ā€œBig Jimā€ is still on the menu at Ā£10.

Pint mugs of stewed tea.

Proper stuff.

Now added showers and internet, maybe its getting too upmarket :slight_smile:

Ian

In reply to G7ADF:
What about the Grindleford cafe next to the stn in SP land? Great food and service with a grimace!! Further north, Wilfs at Staverly or the Watermill Inn at Ings for LD, the Clachaig in Glencoe and a further vote for the Border Hotel in Kirk Yetholm (ideal for Hownam Law)

Steve
GM7SRJ

In reply to GM7SRJ:
Bury Puddings with real English Mustard made with full fat milk (Green Top if you can get it) from Bury Market

For a change you could try them with custard

ERMINTRUDE

In reply to GM7SRJ:

ā€œWhat about the Grindleford cafe next to the stn in SP land?ā€

Still does best all day breakfast I`ve had, although any mention of mushrooms may get you thrown out and banned, as will a mobile phone.

In reply to G7ADF:

If youā€™re in the Dales you would have to go a long way to beat:

Daytime: Bernieā€™s in Ingleton.

Evening: Pizza at the Marton Arms, Kingsdale. Good for beer 'n whisky too :slight_smile:

Seeya, Dick.