Probably the most rained SOTA in Spain: EA2/NV-186

There’s a 1-point summit not too far North of Pamplona which has only been activated twice so far, once in 2015 by Juan Carlos EA2EEB and again this year by Alain F5ODQ.

I have several times looked at possibly activating this summit some day because the area where it’s located strikes me as a very beautiful one and I really feel like going there some day.

But, it’s just 1 point and the driving involved from my QTH must be in the order of 170 Km round trip, so for one reason or some other this activation hasn’t happened yet.

I have several times written in the Reflector that it rains quite a lot in my QTH EA2/NV and this is what I found today while reading the local newspaper on the web. They say that the Spain’s municipality having the most rain throughout the year is Goizueta, in Navarra.
I went to SMP to find which SOTAs there are around Goizueta and I found it was Añarbergaina EA2/NV-186 .

The news said it rains more than 200 days a year in Goizueta and the average annual precipitation is over 2500 l/m2, when the overall Spain’s average is 641 l/m2. This means almost 4 times Spain’s average!

The village of Goizueta is right where the red star is on the map.

I think I’ll have to get my waterproofs ready when I’ll decide to go for that activation.

Guru

6 Likes

I agree, the rain in Spain falls mainly in the mountains of the North.

Hollywood got it wrong…

But best wishes for your planned activation. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Floods in Pamplona today after days of non stop rain.

1 Like

The wettest part of the Lake District is Derwent water with 3.3 litres/year and 200 wet days.

Not that I want to get into what might be called colloquially a ‘pissing competition!’ :sweat_drops::scream:

1 Like

3.3 litres/year?

I’m pretty sure there will be many places in the UK with more annual precipitation than that in Goizueta, Navarra.
However, we can’t compare this 3.3 litres/year with Goizueta’s average annual precipitation of 2500 l/m2, because we don’t know the units of those 3.3 litres rained in Derwent water.

The 2500 l/m2 are litres gathered per each square meter
But we don’t know if those 3.3 litres are gathered in Derwent water per each squared inch, squared foot or what other surface unit.

Guru

I guess the 3.3 litres/year mean 3300mm/year, which is equivalent to 3300 litres/m2 per year and that is clearly well over the 2500 litres/m2 or 2500mm/year in Goizueta.

Cheers,

Guru

1 Like

Neither do I.
However, let me show you what I’ve found on the web:

This means 164mm/month x 12 months/year = 1968 mm/year in Derwent water, which is less than those 2500mm in Goizueta.
Where did you get those 3.3 litres/year, which I guess mean 3300mm?

@M0NOM Mark meant metres. The wettest inhabitated place in the LD gets 3.3m a year. The wettest uninhabited place is the well named Sprinkling Tarn at 5m per year.

1 Like

You’re all right of course in that I don’t really have a clue what I’m talking about :joy:

I get the feeling I’m going to learn about rainfall properly which is great.

Conversion between litres and metres and metres squared is very confusing.

All I know right now is it is wet in the Lake District! :sweat_drops::sweat_drops::sweat_drops:

Regards Mark

3 Likes

Oh, and I’m quite happy for somewhere else to be ahead!

If you have a squared recipient and the length of the square sides is 1m, you have a 1 squared meter surface recipient.
If you pour 1 litre of water into that recipient, that litre of water will make 1mm deep.
So 1 litre = 1mm/m2

Those 5m in Sprinkling Tarn are indeed 5m/m2 = 5000mm/m2 = 5000 litres/m2, which is a lot of rain.

Cheers,

Guru

2 Likes

I am amused the link I posted about rainfall is called “Visit Cumbria”. Is the amount of rain a tourist attraction?

John

(born in Cumbria) :slight_smile:

1 Like

No doubt, if properly advertised :grinning:

2 Likes

Hi dear Guru,
I’m afraid if the massive rain continue in Pamplona we should take a plane and go activate in Britain that will be much better than here… :wink:

Hopefully things will get better soon!
73 Ignacio

3 Likes

Surely Derwentwater is wet all the time?

2 Likes

It chucked it down for 2 hours whilst supporting a running race at Sty Head, spitting distance from Sprinkling Tarn. It was the ‘height’ of summer :joy::sweat_drops::rainbow:

2 Likes

Ok. So where is the wettest inhabited place in the world?

Milfird Sound at 6800mm a year would be NZ’s contender.

But there must be wetter places elsewhere in the world to activate peaks!

3 Likes

That song was originally the basis of one of the elocution lessons in My Fair Lady, a stage production set in London and no doubt first performed there. Nothing to do with Hollywood.

Rex Harrison must be the original rapper. Unable to sing much, he spoke his lines instead of singing. he was ahead of his time.

3 Likes

Rain, yes, but only 21 percent as much as KH6/KU-001, the high point of Kaua’i, Hawai’i. That peak requires a two-day bushwhack up 1,500 metres through deep mud. Ouch.

EL

2 Likes