Presentation by the Graz Morse Code School at Friedrichshafen 2018

Just finished translating the flyer for this year’s presentation at by the Graz Morse Code School at Friedrichshafen 2018:

We have got a slightly earlier slot this year, which will be a bit easier on the audience; the late afternoon slot on Saturday is pretty hard work for any audience. Can’t say much about the content at this stage, but it will certainly focus closely on some of the software available that can facilitate the learning process.
de OE6FEG / M0FEU
Matt

There will be an opportunity to learn more about, and have a play with, the new Morserino32 at the above presentation:

http://www.morserino.info/morserino-32.html

The developer has really overhauled this device to create a world first in Morse learning equipment. I have had a go myself and it really does work exceptionally well. But don’t take my word for it, come along and see for yourself.
de OE6FEG / M0FEU
Matt

This could be the answer to the Morse Students dream… but then again to my mind not, as I do not believe there is a miracle method in learning Morse except continued daily receiving practice.

This is a commercial product being advertised here as far as I can see. SO BUYER BEWARE!

73 Phil

OK, apologies for that. But I will say that Willi is bringing this to market under the banner of ‘Ham Spirit’; i.e. with absolutely no personal reward for the hundreds of hours programming he has put in. Depending on interest, price will be from €65 - €100, which is very cheap; other developers would be looking for much bigger returns. As for buyer beware, the product is there to be tested by whoever wishes; videos will soon be online demonstrating the reliability of the device and it will also be appearing in the UK for perusal in the near future. Once again, my apologies for straying into advertising, that was not my intention; I was actually bumping the thread and hopefully giving people more reason to come to our presentation.
de OE6FEG / M0FEU
Matt

The Morseriono32 was developed after extensive feedback from the Graz Morse School, and that is why it features in our presentation. We will be major customers of Willi, rather than benefactors. Whilst no electronics can replace regular practice, many of the features in the Morserino32 were added specifically to help people learn to copy Morse in their head and are not available in any other program or device. I wholeheartedly defy anyone to say that this developer has not listened to his customers.
de OE6FEG

All good Matt - the board with paddles looks the business and could provide a helping hand and encouragement to Morse Students I’m sure, as well as some experience in constructing it.

The jury is out on whether its use is a good method for Morse students to use an electronic paddle key when learning how to send correctly spaced Morse characters. Most of us “old school” hams who had to pass a Morse test to get an HF licence, served our time learning how to do it on a hand key which was used to test us on - in my case this test was conducted by a UK Government employed Marine Surveyor at Liverpool in 1981. Thinking back, any ham who got an HF licence and who did not put away the Morse key in a drawer and forget about it, but used it from the day the ticket came in the post, tended to move over to a paddle key when they were able to send and receive at between 15 and 20 WPM. I would be interested to know what the experts at the Graz CW school think is the right way to build up their skill in the early stages - hand key or paddle? I assume the Morserino board has provision to plug in a hand key to allow its use. .

I can see the connection between Music and Morse mentioned in the flyer and the importance OE6RDD attaches to copying the Morse in ones head rather than writing it down.

73 Phil

We give all our students paddles to learn with (we have about 15 Palm Paddle Minis to loan out), but we do focus on proper word spacing during lessons; something that is essential for a good copy. Personally, I recommend learning a straight key as a second method, rather than bug key, simply because you are more likely to find a straight key than a bug key in an unusual environment. I also started with a straight key. I don’t know about being experts, we just try our best to spread the word about the massive effect the right support can have on CW uptake in the hobby. However, we do have plenty of experience running a large CW school, and are always happy to share what we have learned; others may well wish to approach things differently. I am increasingly of the opinion that with the right support CW can not just flourish, but actually become a lifeboat for the hobby itself. In the presentation we will focus on a variety of strategies for (hopefully) making it easier to learn to copy in your head; the Morserino32 is just one small part of our presentation. We will try to keep the PPP short and have an informal chat, where people can play with the Morserino32 or just get general advice, at the end. We have the room for 2 hours, but don’t worry, we won’t be speaking for anywhere near as long as that😴.
de OE6FEG
Matt

FB Matt - I will try to drop in to the presentation myself at Friedrichshafen as this is an interesting topic, which fits well with SOTA. There are many operators partaking in SOTA who over the last few years have become very proficient in using Morse Code - this is most admirable as they have achieved this without the carrot of an HF Licence, which is why I and others learnt the code, but there are some that started learning but who have fallen by the wayside, so this initiative of the Morserino 32 and the other support offered by the Graz Morse School could well help those who want to continue learning.

73 Phil

G3HSC. R.I.P. Still got the vinyl