Posting of details of summit activations

While it is very interesting to read peoples activation reports on this reflector, can I please suggest that you also go in and add a link to the report under the summits information pages. In that way those looking to activate a summit can get the advantage of the work you put in describing your access and any possible problems encountered approaching the summit directly from the Summit page rather than having to search for your article.

Posts in the Reflector can be referred to from the summits information page by taking the URL link information from the top of your web browser while viewing your report (i.e. you don’t need to re-enter the report).
EXAMPLE - this short post can be referred to as “http://reflector.sota.org.uk/t/posting-of-details-of-summit-activations/13757”

PLEASE NOTE: you need to go to the summits pages via the NEW SOTA website, the old summit pages are frozen and cannot be updated. So please go to http://sota.org.uk/ and from there, log on (set up a new account if you haven’t been to the new SOTA website yet), then select “summit listings” and follow the tables down until you get to your summit (or summits - you can add the same report link to all of the summits covered if its a multi-summit report). On the summit page click on “Add new external link”.

Thanks & 73 Ed.

4 Likes

Hi Ed, good point well made :smile:

I find the summits information pages really useful, and the new website is a pleasure to look at and to use.

Adrian
G4AZS

I have been meaning to extract information from my activation reports (both those on the old reflector and more recently on Summitsbase) and add it to the pages for the summits that I have activated, but the available time has been ulitised in researching more summits! The problem with links is that they can become out of date. Adding the information directly to the page overcomes this issue, but is more time consuming.

73, Gerald G4OIG

Hi Gerald, agreed using external URLs does have the danger that they may go away however a link to a post on the SOTA reflector is probably somewhat more reliable and I was trying to avoid people having to re-enter and reformat all of their reports - a simple cut and paste of the URL should be easy enough for everyone to do.

My undestanding is that if you write a report on the summits page, it can only be text (no pictures, no maps etc.) so I personally prefer the URL link option.

73 Ed.

There seems to be an account setup problem. I keep getting the message that I was sent a link to verify my account but won’t receive one to do that. Tried resetting my password but same result afterwards. :pensive:

73, Sylvia

Hi Sylvia, have you checked your SPAM folder at your email company?

73 Ed.

Yes, I think that is so. It serves a particular purpose, and I find a brief comment in plain text very useful eg grid ref of parking spot, grid ref of route start (if it isn’t obvious), any access restrictions, mention of notable scrambles, stream crossings etc.
It is very easy to paste such text onto a page together with a snip from an online mapping provider (where that is allowed) and then print.

A link to a more complete report is nice too, of course…

Adrian
G4AZS

Yes, I have. Nothing there…

73, Sylvia

Hi Syliva,

We had a problem with our mailserver a couple of weeks ago. Just in case that was the issue, I have re-sent the verification email to you. If you continue to have issues, please let me know.

73, Jon

1 Like

Problem resolved - thanks for the support Jon and Ed!

73, Sylvia

1 Like