Possible to view QSO info from summit's last activ

In considering whether it is worth it for me to activate a summit that somebody else has already activated this calendar year, is it possible for me to view info on how many QSO’s (and what bands) were made in the previous activation?

Barry N1EU

Yes. Go to Database; Summits Tab; Find Summit; and click on Extra Info button
(After trying this on a few summits it appears it doesn’t always work)

In reply to N1EU:
Yes, but the only way I know of doing it takes a few mouse clicks!

Logon to the Database (important that you’re logged in)

Search for the summit you’re interested in.
Click on history for selected summit.
It shows activation history of previous activators.

Now make a note of activator you’re interested in and note date of activation.

select Activator role of honour from top menu bar.
Now filter on appropriate region and date range and hit show.
This lists all activators in that region.
Do a find (ctrl f) for call sign and then view log.
All activations are shown for that activator.
Find the summit (ctrl f if lots) and then do show log.
All contacts are revealed.

It takes longer to explain than do!

Pete

In reply to G4ISJ:

Thanks Pete - that did the trick!

Which brings up another question:

What is the meaning of the points total shown at the bottom of the activator log? I thought activators only get the summit points value (1-10). What do these QSO points count toward?

Thanks & 73,
Barry N1EU

In reply to N1EU:

What is the meaning of the points total shown at the bottom of the
activator log? I thought activators only get the summit points value
(1-10). What do these QSO points count toward?

Hi Barry

You are correct that activators only get the summit points value and these are only awarded once per calendar year for any particular summit. Activators may also claim bonus points if activated during the bonus period. The total at the bottom of the individual summit log for an activator is nothing to do with the QSO’s, it is purely their overall points total (together with any bonus points earned).

Hope this makes sense.

Karen 2E0XYL

In reply to G4ISJ:

I just went back and tried to do this again and I can’t get to the end result of seeing the activator log.

If I click on “view log” on the Activator Results page for the activator I’m interested in, it gives me a table showing qso numbers but no way to get to the log for an activation.

This is frustrating.

Thanks & 73,
Barry N1EU

In reply to N1EU:
Yes, but the only way I know of doing it takes a few mouse clicks!

Logon to the Database (important that you’re logged in)

Search for the summit you’re interested in.
Click on history for selected summit.
It shows activation history of previous activators.

Now make a note of activator you’re interested in and note date of
activation.

select Activator role of honour from top menu bar.
Now filter on appropriate region and date range and hit show.
This lists all activators in that region.
Do a find (ctrl f) for call sign and then view log.
All activations are shown for that activator.
Find the summit (ctrl f if lots) and then do show log.
All contacts are revealed.

It takes longer to explain than do!

Pete

In reply to G4ISJ:
Pete, it’s unusual that one cannot hit “show” by using the return (enter) key without having to go to the mouse. Is there a way for the MT to fix that?

Elliott, K6ILM
troublemaker

In reply to N1EU:

In reply to G4ISJ:

I just went back and tried to do this again and I can’t get to the end
result of seeing the activator log.

If I click on “view log” on the Activator Results page for
the activator I’m interested in, it gives me a table showing qso
numbers but no way to get to the log for an activation.

This is frustrating.

Thanks & 73,
Barry N1EU

Barry,
I’m guessing your login has timed out. That was my number one point! You MUST be logged in to see the log.

Pete

In reply to G4ISJ:

I agree with Pete. The database times out quite quickly - frustrating at times!

Karen

In reply to 2E0XYL:

In reply to G4ISJ:

I agree with Pete. The database times out quite quickly - frustrating
at times!

It would be nice if there was an indication on the sotadata page you’re viewing that you had timed out. The server obviously knows the requestor is not logged in so it should be easy to indicate whether someone IS or IS NOT logged in.

That being said, I should know going forward to log in again if I’m not seeing what I should be seeing.

Thanks & 73,
Barry N1EU

In reply to N1EU:

It would be nice if there was an indication on the sotadata page you’re viewing
that you had timed out.

There’s no indication you have timed out but there is an indication you are logged in. When you are logged in there should be the words “Welcome, N1EU” at the right hand end of the menu bar.

Andy
MM0FMF

In reply to MM0FMF:

I guess Mike 2E0YYY must be the most frustrated database user… with all those 100+ QSOs to log after each activation. At least it saves what you’ve entered up to the point of ejection! :slight_smile:

73, Gerald G4OIG

In reply to G4OIG:

In reply to MM0FMF:

I guess Mike 2E0YYY must be the most frustrated database user…
with all those 100+ QSOs to log after each activation. At least it
saves what you’ve entered up to the point of ejection! :slight_smile:

After being chucked out of the Database the first four or five thousand times, one becomes immune to frustration, Gerald :wink:

73 Mike
2Q0YYY

In reply to G4OIG:

Are you telling me that you can’t enter 100’s of QSO via the web page without timing out?

The session valid timeout is set to 10mins. Every time the page gets refreshed you get another 10mins. So after each line of entry you click add or hit return you refresh the page.

If you are timing out then either one of two things is true, we have a bug or you can’t type! I’ll look at the 1st case and for the 2nd case may I suggest Mavis Beacon Teaches Typing.

http://www.mavisbeacon.com/

Andy
MM0FMF

In reply to MM0FMF:

If you are timing out then either one of two things is true, we have a
bug or you can’t type!

Wouldn’t suppressing cookies also do it?

Barry N1EU

In reply to N1EU:

If you suppress cookies I don’t think you can log in at all Barry. But I’ve never checked TBH, that code was written and working when I took over from the original author.

The only chages I’ve done to logons etc. is changing the session state encryption. Some users will remember the error messages about MAC stae errors that came up now and then and loging on again fixed it. That was due to load balancing effects at the host. Changing how session encryption worked to what was needed for server farms fixed that.

Andy
MM0FMF

In reply to MM0FMF:

Are you telling me that you can’t enter 100’s of QSO via the web page
without timing out?

Yep, but that is because the system does not reset after each activation is entered… and when I’m uploading some of our 6, 8 or even 10 summit sorties, I always get chucked off at some point in the process. Guess I should go more down the csv route.

Now you’ll tell me the system does reset after each summit log is entered, but in my case it makes an exception. If so, that’s some cute software writing. :slight_smile:

73, Gerald G4OIG

In reply to G4OIG:

the system does not reset after each activation is entered

It works for me! Using Firefox 12.0 on an XP SP3 machine.

After logging in I waited 9m45s before clicking any links either on the menus or on the pages and I was still logged in. Then I entered an activation. Entered one line and hit add then waited 9mins before entering the next line. Still logged in. Another line, waited 9mins, still logged in, line OK. If I waited for too long then yes, I got an error, which needs cleaning up a lot, and had to log in again where I could continue with the activation.

But, the system does appear, from a statistically valid sample of 1, to do exactly what it’s meant to Gerald, wait upto 10 mins of non-activity between pages before timing out. So if you are getting logged out for waits of less than 10mins then it is either something your end or something happening at the hosting service outwith my control (server reboots etc.)

Andy
MM0FMF

In reply to MM0FMF:

…the system does appear, from a statistically valid sample of 1, to do exactly what it’s meant to Gerald…

Precisely, bunk me off! It happens on any one of the three machines at my end (XP SP3 / Firefox 12 or IE8), but it’s not a problem. I don’t get out that much nowadays. Probably some part of the system is jealous of my fibre-optic broadband. :slight_smile:

73, Gerald G4OIG

In reply to G4OIG:

It happens on any one of the three machines at my end

I’ve had a look through logs here dating 22-May-2012 to 4-Feb-2011.

Of 103 logins under G4OIG, 9 have been rejected for bad password reasons (typos/password for another site). Of the remaining 94, there have only been 3 occasions I can find when you have logged on and then logged on again within 10mins. On one occasion you and many other people where logging in, some repeatedly logging in again and again which suggests the web server was up but the database server was down. 1 occasion the login in was within 6 secs on the expected timeout time, probably was 10mins TBH and on the balance of probabilities was genuine and one occasion was unexplainable. All other logons occuring on the same day have been over 10mins apart.

As you say it’s not a problem if there’s only 1 occasion out of 90 in the last 15months where you’ve needed to logon again.

Andy
MM0FMF