Portable Tips in 60 Seconds or Less

Hi folks I have been working on a series of very short videos that cover specific topics - almost all with a focus on portable operating. They appear daily and I have a lot more ready to go. The current ones cover topics such as learning Morse and the characteristics of each of the HF bands. Future ones will include Combatting wind noise and calling CQ more effectively. I think that I have nearly 80 already shot.

I hope that they will be of interest - and useful to some too.

22 Likes

Thanks Richard,
They’re interesting and straight to the point, keep them coming!
73 Stephan

1 Like

No room for waffling in 60 seconds.

2 Likes

Great!!!
Thanks Richard, stick with it!

1 Like

Thanks Richard. Well done. :+1:

73 Geoff vk3sq

1 Like

Awesome stuff Richard.

Malen
VE6VID

1 Like

Well done Richard. If there’s one thing I can say about the vast majority of amateur radio YouTube videos is that they are way too long-winded. Yours are refreshingly succinct.

Another thing I can’t stand is presenters in ball caps and beer bellies.

2 Likes

@G3CWI … and no room to test a new beer either :smiley:

2 Likes

…they are often far more popular than my channel though. I can only conclude that it’s their soporific qualities that attract folks. I try to make my videos only as long as is necessary to tell the story.

1 Like

Excellent Richard. I am afraid the advantage of the 60 seconds did not work.
Looked at all recordings :slight_smile: … in one go :slight_smile:

Keep the recordings coming…

73s
Ingo

1 Like

Me too :joy:

BTW, I have a question regarding the use of USB on the 60m band. Why is that? The convention as far as I remember was using LSB on all bands below 40m.
Can someone give me some light on this?
Thanks.

Guru

1 Like

The commercial/military users use USB on 60m. The original UK allocation (first ham allocation maybe) was designed so that amateurs could have QSOs with military cadets amongst other things. Cadets use the band and are fixed on USB, it was suggested for amateurs. The original special extension to UK amateur licences suggested USB and gave USB dial frequencies for people who couldn’t work out where to tune their radio to remain inside the narrow “channels” that were allocated.

4 Likes

Same reason why the HFPACK group (backpack portable ops) advise the use of USB on ALL bands.
quote from their website ( http://hfpack.com/air/ )

“Upper SideBand (USB) is the standard on all HF bands for HFpack SSB voice QSOs, including the bands below 10MHz! USB has become the international standard for non-amateur HF SSB voice and other modulation methods. The HFpack and HFLINK groups have adopted the UpperSideBand Standard to achieve complete compatibility with a wide variety of commercial and mil portable HF radio systems that amateurs are using. With the advent of simultaneous “multimedia” SSB voice, CW, image, text, selcall, ALE Automatic Link Establishment, HF-APRS, and digitized QSOs on the same channel, UpperSideBand standardization will become even more important.”

Luc - ON7DQ

3 Likes