Portable 2m yagi

I’m looking for a portable 2m yagi, this caught my attention. http://www.lamcommunications.net/shop/product_info.php?products_id=447
Anyone using this beam?
Any suggestions?
(don’t offer sotabeams, 3-el is not enough and no international shipping)

Jani OH9FZU

In reply to OH9FZU:

Hello,

I’ve built and tested several of these yagis:

They are really very easy to build, inexpensive, can be dismantled to carry in your rucksack…

I used simple PVC pipe and aluminum rods, but you could use whatever…
They are compact (short boom length) and direct coaxial feed (no need for an especial match…).

I use them for VHF contesting and I’m very pleased for the effort. And I had fun building them!!

Ignacio

1 Like

In reply to OH9FZU:If you want to construct it, then it will be a lot cheaper.
Try this site: index
Look under 2m/70cm Yagi’s Ultralight.
I have made many of them for SOTA,Portable & SAT use and they work fine.

Adamos SV2KGA - DM1SV

No homebrewing, problem is that I would have to order the parts online, or drive 200-300km to get them.
Aluminium doesn’t grow on trees here(150km north from arctic circle).
So it is easier and same price if I just buy a commercial one, thanks anyway.

Jani OH9FZU

In reply to OH9FZU:
Please don’t laugh - but I have had quite a bit of success using one I made from a metal tape measure.

Works a treat. Folds up to nothing.

Very cheap.

Just a suggestion,

John

In reply to OH9FZU:

Yes, follow the suggestions about building your own - it’s easy to do and very satisfying to use your home made equipment.

The DK7ZB designs already recommended are good; I’ve also used the DL6WU design, for which there’s a calculator from VK5DJ at

These (DL6WU) do need a balun match, but it’s easy to make and the design software gives the details.

For 2m and 70cm antennas I have used 6mm aluminium tube for the reflector and directors, with a split piece tightly push fitted into plastic tube for a simple dipole driven element. You can drill 4mm holes through the plastic and aluminium, and use 4mm plugs to contact the dipole elements.

For a DL6WU folded dipole I’ve used 4mm brass rod, with the ends soldered to connector and balun.

All these tubes and rods are available in the UK from B and Q; search for “FFA Concept tube”. Maybe also available in your local similar stores.

For the boom, I use a single piece of 21.5mm plumbing waste pipe for a short boom; for longer booms in two or more pieces, the 21.5mm tube is a good sliding fit into 25mm electrical conduit tube. The elements are fitted through holes in the boom and held in place with rubber grommets. (It would be harder to do this for the DL6WU design, but I tend to use those for higher frequencies where the elements can be fixed - I strap an 8-ele DL6WU to the back of my rucsack!)

All good fun! Good luck with your antennas,

John GM8OTI

In reply to OH9FZU:

I don’t know if these people export but it is worth a look:

http://www.sandpiperaerials.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_2&products_id=7&zenid=8c994afdd99d5702858d7bab8f66fa39

Also Moonraker do a 4-el yagi.

Brian G8ADD

In reply to G1STQ:

In reply to OH9FZU:
Please don’t laugh - but I have had quite a bit of success using one I
made from a metal tape measure.

Works a treat.

We can rule that out!

I’ll get me coat…

73 Mike
2E0YYY

In reply to SV2KGA:

Try this site: index
Look under 2m/70cm Yagi’s Ultralight.

I build also the 3el-50cm and 6el-2m from DK7ZB. The 2 m long boom needs a better mast than my 6 m fishing rod. About the same gain can be achieved by stacking two 2-elements, so maybe that next. For the elements I used 6 mm aluminium tube. The thinner elements might be more dangerous in darkness and hit eyes for example. The weight for the 6el is 716 g and the boom is split to two parts.

73, Jaakko OH7BF/F5VGL

Edit: DK7ZB yagis are also commercially available, though home brewing is better for the hams

Thanks everyone.
I would love to use one that I built myself, but trust me it’s not that easy to get parts from here so in this case I prefer a commercial yagi.

Jani OH9FZU

In reply to OH9FZU:

I understand the problems you have with parts if you live somewhere remote. Of the commercial antennas mentioned the 1st antenna you listed is probably far too massive to use with something like a fishing rod as a mast. Also far too awkward to assemble/disassemble on a summit.

The Sandpiper Delta is more suitable and is only 1dB down on the 6ele Yagi. You can enquire if they will ship international, I’ve dealt with Sandpiper by mail order and at ham rallies in the UK and I’ve always found them good to deal with. But uou should be aware that there are size limits on items that can be sent by post in the UK to overseas destinations that can make shipping antennas impossible. It’s often the case that companies have no method of shipping overseas not they don’t want your business.

The ideal antenna would be to make a DK7ZB design. Perhaps there are some other OH hams who can collect all the parts needed and ship them within Finland for you to assemble.

Andy
MM0FMF

In reply to OH9FZU:
hi Jani
If you see an antenna you want but they will not ship it out side the UK you buy it and have it sent to me and i will ship to you. I use ebay a lot and i send items all over the world and have never lost an item yet.

Cheers Nigel 2E0NHM

My email address is nigelmeakin@blueyonder.co.uk
If you want my ebay name just to have a look at my feedback it is m215mnb

In reply to MM0FMF:

I agree with Andy

Sandpiper are an excellent route to go down if they will ship outside the UK.

However failing that you could visit Nuxcom website and their Lightweight yagi antennas. You will find the link below

https://shop.nuxcom.de/index.php?cPath=7_79_101&XTCsid=0d9eb63fb4d7c8d71ec7e9f3b2fe130a

I have just had a (Dualband beam) 4 ele on 2m and a 5 ele on 70cms delivered to my house for 26 euros (that is product and postage cost as a whole). It is essentially based on a design by DK7ZB and the antenna comes with everything you need, you simply need to do some drilling and measuring. I think The SB5 (sotabeams 5 ele) was based on a design by DK7ZB and we all know how popular that antenna is, I am not so sure about the 3 ele??

However you can get the whole kit to the UK for about 24 pounds, very cheap and from my first initial impressions it will be easy to assemble and incredibly light weight! The driven element is contained within a water proof housing with a coaxial socket meaning that you dont need croc clips to drive the thing! Finally Andy FMF will like this, you can request that you are sent a chassis mount N socket rather than a SO 239!

Food for thought.

73 all

Matt G8XYJ

In reply to OH9FZU:

Self building is not that difficult. I use tape measure, hand drill (no motor) and tube cutting tool at home, though I could access also a better workshop at work. The only real difficulty is to drill the holes straight to the element fixing clamps - otherwise the elements will not be on the same plane. The aluminium and PVC tubes are easily available here from hardware shops. The radiator needs some insulator rod too.

I tested the 3el-50cm Yagi by listening a beacon signal and using a step attenuator to FT817ND. There is a clear maximum in certain direction and the F/B-ratio seems to be roughly ok. The antenna gain can be tested by comparing the attenuation for null signal in case of the Yagi and dipole (by removing the reflector and director). The 6el-2m needs still more tests and a better mast.

73, Jaakko OH7BF/F5VGL

In reply to G8XYJ:
…you could visit Nuxcom website and their

Lightweight yagi antennas. You will find the link below

https://shop.nuxcom.de/index.php?cPath=7_79_101&XTCsid=0d9eb63fb4d7c8d71ec7e9f3b2fe130a

I have just had a (Dualband beam) 4 ele on 2m and a 5 ele on 70cms
delivered to my house for 26 euros (that is product and postage cost
as a whole)…

73 all

Matt G8XYJ

Now thats what I’m looking for, all the parts and even yagi kits all in one place, thanks Matt!
The 2m 6-el ultralight kit weight and swr plot looks quite tempting, and price is reasonable.

Jani OH9FZU

In reply to OH9FZU:
Glad I could be of help Jani! When I complete my Kit I will take a photo and put it on my Flickr Page.

The beauty of this system is that despite the delivery charge it still works out cheaper than other portable antennas on the market!

Matt G8XYJ

In reply to G8XYJ:
Hi Jani

I hope you are well,

Today I finished the assembly of my 2m/70cm beam, I have tested it in my garden and found that it has a good SWR! However of course a dummy load has a good SWR!

So tomorrow I hop to see how it really performs from one of my local summits - G/WB-002 - I will take photos and post news on here when I know more!

Matt G8XYJ

In reply to OH9FZU:

Hi Jani

Here a link for an idea. 70 cm band

and 2 m band

Luc ON6DSL

In reply to OH9FZU:
Hi Jani

Just a quick message to let you know I tried my Nuxcom.de antenna today for the first time.

I used the 4 ele from G/WB-002 and managed to work approximately 20 contacts on 2m SSB and about 10 on 2m FM. The antenna went up very quickly, was incredibly light and seemed to have good directionality.

If you want to see photos of the item check out the following links

http://www.flickr.com/photos/52957337@N02/6904649315/in/pool-32587276@N00/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/52957337@N02/6904641785/in/pool-32587276@N00/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/52957337@N02/6904623721/in/pool-32587276@N00/

The first QSO was from IO82QL to IO85MG - A total distance of 311 Km

I am sure your 9 element version will be a very good antenna.

I can recommend this antenna to anyone that wants a cheap and lightweight yagi! 30 euros all in!! (25 GB£)

Matt G8XYJ

In reply to G8XYJ:
Very nice, thanks for taking those photos.

Jani OH9FZU