Polish Phonetics

Being a regular SOTA operator (All Chasers are SWLs!) on HF I hear and work plenty of Polish stations.

Listening to Polski language contacts with operators from their own country (such as just now when I worked Matt@SQ9NIS on 20m SSB) it sounds like the Polish phonetic alphabet uses names, such as Pavel (for P) etc.

Is my assumption correct, Polski Operators?

73 Phil G4OBK

6 Likes

PERFECT

LITERA POLSKI MIĘDZYNARODOWY – (wymowa)
A Adam Alfa – (alfa)
B Barbara Bravo – (brawo)
C Cezary Charlie – (czarli)
D Dorota Delta – (delta)
E Ewa Echo – (eko)
F Franciszek Foxtrott – (fokstrot)
G Grażyna Golf – (golf)
H Henryk Hotel – (hotel)
I Irena India – (india)
J Jadwiga Juliet – (dżuliet)
K Karol Kilo – (kilo)
L Ludwik Lima – (lima)
M Maria Mike – (majk)
N Natalia November – (nowember)
O Olga Oscar – (oskar)
P Paweł Papa – (oskar)
Q Quebec Quebec – (kebek)
R Roman Romeo – (romijo)
S Stanisław Sierra – (siera)
T Tadeusz Tango – (tengo)
U Urszula Uniform – (juniform)
V Violetta Victor – (wiktor)
W Wanda Whiskey – (łiski)
X Xsawery X-Ray – (eksrej)
Y Ypsylon Yankee – (janki)
Z Zygmunt Zulu – (zulu)

look closely at Violetta…

9 Likes

Thank you Leszek - question well answered! Your XYL has a phonetic name

73 Phil

1 Like

Hi Phil,

I can only add that it is nice to know that you would like to polish your English :grin:
Support will come respectively :wink:

73, Jarek

3 Likes

Interesting and a few years back I participated in the SP DX contest from the US using W6PNG.

If it’s on again this year do I call CQ Contest Wanda 6 Pawel Natalia Graznyia to make it easier for SP operators to get my call and presumably make it clear I’m in the SP DX contest?

Paul

4 Likes

The use of names as a phonetic alphabet in amateur radio is not unique.
It results from tradition and many other factors.
Names are also used by OK, OM, UT, LZ etc.
But every SP (OK, OM …) amateur knows english version of the phonetic alphabet, which is used in QSO with stations outside SP.

3 Likes

Hi Jacek (@SQ9MDN)

Thanks and I think you are suggesting to stick with the more universal Whiskey 6 Papa November Golf.

Mind you I quite liked the idea of using Pawel as that is my Polish name and I am half Polish.

Paul (or should it be Pavel?)

2 Likes

It’s always nice to hear a word in your own language during a QSO, like “Thank you”, “Hello” etc.
I also try to add something from myself in the language of my interlocutor. Sometimes one word can bring a smile to your face and build friendly relationships.

2 Likes

That is one of the reasons why my son is called PAUL.

The name exists in (different forms) in many countries… and is therefore well known.

He travels a lot and is quite happy with his name :smile:

73 Armin

2 Likes

Rather than being a slav to tradition?

You forgot to add this :grin: to the quote: this phrase (polish your English) is play of words :wink: cause the topic is about Polish Phonetics :wink:

…and this phrase - 𝒃𝒆𝒊𝒏𝒈 𝒂 𝒔𝒍𝒂𝒗 𝒕𝒐 𝒕𝒓𝒂𝒅𝒊𝒕𝒊𝒐𝒏 - is also a play on words… :face_holding_back_tears:

I found the Polish phonetic Alphabet very confusing…

I personally know a Wioletta and a Ksavery. Because of this I systematically confuse V and W and X and K :confounded:

Romain

The risk is that they think you’re Polish diaspora and reply in Polish :smile: You can try and report!

@SP6SUD

…and then I am definitely in trouble.

Polish father, English mother generally created zero opportunity to learn Polish growing up in London. A regret and my loss as i’d love to be fluent in Polish.

Paul

1 Like

Romain,

On 80m I also heard Xantypa which in fact is Ksantypa :wink:

73, Jarek