Points for Activations (semantics)

My apologies if these are obvious questions and I’m over complicating the matter, but I’m not sure what qualifies as an official activation. The rules clearly states that you must have 4 QSO’s. However, does that mean logged by spotters? For example, I activated a summit today and had 1 spotter that logged the QSO here on SW3, but I had 4 other unlogged QSO’s. Does that mean I receive points for that summit?

Also, I noticed that even though I had a logged QSO, I wasn’t listed as the last activator as stated in the “Last Activated” field for the peak. This also seems to indicate that the activation isn’t official unless there are 4 spotters.

On another note, is there a place here on SW3 that holds a personal record of all the official activations? If not, how do you guys keep track of that? Spreadsheet, Computer application…something else?

Thanks, for the feedback. I’m still trying to figure out how this all goes together :slight_smile:

The activator points are based entirely on what activation logs you submit as an activator. Whether any chasers on here have worked you and logged you is irrelevant. If you make 4+ QSOs from a summit, you get the points. But you do need to enter the activation logs on the system. It doesn’t happen automatically or by magic!

1 Like

www.sotadata.org.uk is where you upload your log to. It’s single sign on with SW3

1 Like

Ok, thanks for clarifying. I assumed that the official list was based on spotters, but I just entered that into my summit log and it’s showing up.

2 Likes

Indeed Tom. There are several activations that I have carried out where I haven’t worked one chaser… the pair of Kent summits (G/SE-013 and G/SE-015) spring to mind where I worked ten 70cm contest stations running in VHF NFD on each summit. Somehow though the value of those activations is less in my mind than the average as there is great personal value to be had from working SOTA friends during an activation. :grinning:

2 Likes

I wonder if you have missed our official website which answers your questions and gives a shed load of information about how it all works? Click on the SOTA links on the Sotawatch page and click on the first item on the drop down menu, “SOTA Home”.

3 Likes

https://www.sotadata.org.uk/en/
menu
view results
my results
my activator log

73, Jarek

1 Like

That’s entirely understandable. But personally I equally value the QSOs with those outside the scheme, as it’s a great way to advertise/publicise SOTA. All SOTA chasers will have had a first ever SOTA chase QSO at some point!

“A stranger is a friend you have not yet met”

2 Likes

Indeed, but that doesn’t hold sway in a contest scenario. I converted no-one that VHF NFD - guaranteed! :rofl:

1 Like

I wouldn’t be so sure. I’d agree that the “hit rate” would be expectedly down in the contest situation - but maybe not zero. I’ve certainly “hooked” a few through my Tuesday night VHF activity contesting antics from SOTA summits over the years.

You’re correct, I did miss the section that has the summit log and summit results. I actually went to that page, but didn’t notice the menu option at the top left, which is where all those things live. I think I’m on the right track now.

2 Likes