Planning to activate Muddy Mt. W7Y/EW-005

Good Day,

I plan to activate Muddy Mt. W7Y/EW-005 on Aug. 12th around 1200 UTC.

I will be taking my trusty KX1 and operating on 40M, 30M, and 20M into a LNR Trail Friendly end fed antenna. I will be using my American Morse MS2 mini straight key.

So far the WX looks good and as of right now the bands should be relatively quiet.

One thing I have been curious about is the amount of detail I have been putting into my pre-planning posts. Is it too much, or is it interesting to others?

Chris, N7NAV

2 Likes

I think the usual announcement route is via SOTAWatch and not here unless its some kind of unique or special activation such as Svalbard. That written and as I have activated some of the peaks you have done, I find the announcements interesting.

FWIW… how about EW-001, Medicine Bow as an alternative. I thought it really spectacular and loved the views.

2 Likes

Paul,

Thanks for the input. The most exotic peak I have on my list this year is Mt. Democrat W0C/SR-059.

Fall is when I’m the most active outdoors here in Wyoming. I am using SOTA as part of my training regiment to prepare for the Fall’s activities. I will be doing Medicine Bow and Browns’ in up coming weeks.

I am working out details with land owners to see if I can activate W7Y/EW-028, Quartzite 2 Benchmark. It would be the first activation for that peak since it is on private land. If I can gain access I will bring the K2 for that peak and plan to spend time up there to allow for as many QSOs as possible.

If all goes to plan I should be able to activate all the peaks in Albany County Wyoming this year.

Thanks again.

Chris, N7NAV

2 Likes

Unfortunately, due to a last minute obligation I will have to cancel this activation. If I can I will attempt on Aug. 8th.

2 Likes