Planned activation of VE7/CV-028

Hiking up Maple Mountain (VE7/CV-028) for the first time today and will attempt an activation.

I’m quite new to SOTA with this being my 5th activation.

Going to attempt to get the required 4 QSOs with FT8 and/or FT4 and then possible move to FM and SSB.

Should be on the air at around 530pm local time.

Any tips much appreciated!

4 Likes

Posting an alert is critical. Also, if you happen to start before 5 pm, chasers will call you again after that time for new points on the new day, assuming your 5 pm is ØØØØ UTC.

Elliott, K6EL

2 Likes

Thanks Elliot, I definitely will spot!

Ah yes I didn’t think about the UTC rollover but makes sense. I’ll do my best to get up there in time and start before 5 but no promises :slight_smile:

Spotting is big, of course, but I was referring to doing an alert in advance. To make it show up as an activation today, I would say 2359 UTC instead of 0030. Do you want me to do the alert right now??

EL

1 Like

I’m glad you clarified! Thank you for the offer but I just added an alert myself. I wanted to get familiar with the process.

Thank you for the heads up!

You are probably 1/2 way up the mountain now, but another tip is to do other bands in addition to 20. There are a bunch of us local chasers who would love a shot at working you, but we are way too close for 20. If you did 40m SSB we would have a very good chance of chasing you. Thanks - hope you have a great activation.

WU7H

3 Likes

Was a great day. Sunny and clear but not too hot.

Made it to the top in about 2 hours. Was able to get 9 contacts on 20m FT8 in about 30 minutes.

Was a good experiment to see if I could do an activation all digital. I need to lighten the load for sure. My laptop is old and bulky and not ideal for hiking.

Overall lots of fun. Thanks to all who chased!

4 Likes