Phil, KK6YYD SK

I am sad to report that Phil passed away suddenly on June 10, 2021 at the age of 61.

Phil made many first Activations here in the Sierra Nevada. Phil also made numerous SOTA presentations to local clubs and he was always eager to promote the sport to new and old hams.

Summits on the Air was such an important part of Phil’s life his family recognized this by mentioning it in his obituary.

“Phil was a licensed Ham Radio Operator and board member of the El Dorado Amateur Radio Club. He
participated in Summits On The Air which combined mountaineering and radio operation to make
contacts with other HAMs and log points based on the height of the peak. He earned a fun award called
a GOAT for reaching 1000 points.”

The full obituary of this remarkable man can seen here: https://www.dignitymemorial.com/obituaries/placerville-ca/philip-mosbacher-10230581

Picture of Phil taken during one of our annual New Year’s Eve activations.

R.I.P. my friend

Jordan WC6J

7 Likes

I’m really sorry to read such sad news and I want to express my deep condolences to all his family and friends.
R.I.P. Phil

2 Likes

Sorry that hear that Phil KK6YYD is now silent key, my thoughts are with his family.

Jimmy M0HGY

1 Like

Sorry to hear it. Too darn bad.
John K6yK

1 Like

Jordan, it’s always rough when a friend dies unexpectedly. I didn’t recognise Phil’s call but did recognise the surname from setting up his InReach spotting account.

Condolences to you and to his friends and family.

1 Like

Sorry to hear sad news,
Condolences to family and friends.
R.I.P. Phil

1 Like

R.I.P., Phil
Sad news, indeed. Much too young.
Condolences to family and friends.
Ken

Sad news indeed and seemingly far too young.

Paul

2 Likes

Yes, very sad news at such a young age. My condolences to all family and friends.

Gerald

1 Like

I didn’t know Phil or ever work him as far as I recall. However, as SOTA Publicity Officer I must pay my respects to Phil who clearly contributed significantly and valuably to promoting SOTA in his region. Doing lots of activations is good promo in itself, but when participants take the initiative to present talks to radio clubs and “spread the word” as Phil did, I deeply appreciate those efforts. Very sad news and I add my condolences to those above.

1 Like

Reading his obituary he clearly had a full and interesting life and served youth. He was a scoutmaster and heavily involved in scouts for some time it appears. My only experience was by radio—and limited at that—but he was clearly a good man and leaves a positive legacy.

Sad news.
R.I.P. Phil