Phantom QSOs!

In reply to OE9FWV:
You have to:

1. log on to the database.
  2. View results
  3. Activator Roll of Honour
  4. Select the association of the activator call sign.
  5. Find and clic on the activator’s call sign.
  6. At the right end clic on "show log"
    There you are!
    Good luck and 73 de Guru - EA2IF
1 Like

In reply to OE9FWV:
You were logged as OE9FLV

In reply to MM0FMF:
Hi Andy,

There is another reason for unconfirmed QSOs that happens. I have some “unconfirmed” contacts that are in the activators log. In this Hemisphere some activators whose activation crosses UTC midnight (it’s mid morning here)put all their contacts in on the first UTC day. As a chaser I might work them on each UTC day and claim points for two contacts. One will not be confirmed because of the changed date in their log. It gives me a “high” percentage of unconfirmed contacts.

When activating I submit one log per peak per UTC day. I know some people think this is wrong as I only climbed the hill once but my chasers will get stars for all contacts. Yes it affects some of my stats but hey this is not a competition, its for my satisfaction. I and many other VK activators think UTC day rules should apply to activators as well as chasers. Ooops, sorry I’m starting another topic.

Ron

1 Like

In reply to AX3AFW:

When activating I submit one log per peak per UTC day

Do you know Ron, I have asked politely many times for VK activators to not do this yet you persist.

Can you just do as you have been asked and submit a single log please?

Final time of asking.

Andy
MM0FMF

In reply to MM0FMF:
Hi Andy,

Sorry Andy, it really seemed like the most helpful way to address the issue. Yes I know the road to Hell is paved with good intentions. I’ve seen this in “The Truth” by Terry Pratchett.

I am now complying but the first paragraph in my previous email still highlights a feature or two of the data base. I and many VK chasers still have a high number of non-starred contacts for post UTC midnight contacts.

If the activator uploads a log with the correct dates then the post midnight entries get ignored and are not uploaded. If the date is left as the one on which the activation starts the contacts are uploaded but the chaser’s log will not show confirmation for their post UTC midnight contacts as the activators log shows them on the prior day.

I know I have made the contact so it doesn’t matter for me but the awards guy then has a quandry. He can’t see my paper log. He must be asking are these phantom/made-up contacts?

Ron

In reply to AX3AFW:

The awards guy doesn’t use the stars. So it doesn’t matter whether they exist or are accurate.

Andy
MM0FMF

In reply to MM0FMF:

Hi Andy,

Thanks for clarifying that. I won’t ask how he does do the checks in case you have to shoot me afterwards.

Ron

I believe I just had the one Phantom QSO from my recent tour of Scottish Summits:

GM/SS-205 Bogrie Hill
16/04/2014 HB9MKV 40m CW 13:34Z - Station did not confirm receiving report I sent to confirm the QSO after I made repeated PSE CFM request for confirmation.

Please delete the QSO from your chaser log.

73 Phil G(M)4OBK

To all for info:
Out of the 161 QSOs over the 4 summits I completed as CT9/G4OBK/P having checked for four suspected Phantom QSOs, when stations called me but the QSO was incomplete I can report only one Phantom contact:

This was on 17/05/14 with EA2DZX on 18 Mhz SSB CT3/MI-004 - blind calls were made to me at around 1430z - station did not respond when answered several times, but contact was logged.

So could EA2DZX please remove the entry in the SOTA database as it is invalid.

73 Phil CT9/G4OBK/P

I found these Phantom QSOs logged in SOTA chaser database:

23/06/2014 0823z ON/ON-011 40M CW - Station heard calling repeatedly over other stations but no QSO was made - OE7FMH, my log was annotated at the time.

23/06/2014 1429z ON/ON-010 40M SSB - I heard an S56 call prefix calling but I did not read the suffix or give a report to any S56 station on ON-010. I checked all S56 calls in the SOTA database and found a QSO logged by S56LXN at the time I made a note in my log. No QSO was made.

73 Phil G4OBK

1 Like

In reply to G4OBK:
DF5WA phantom QSO (again)with Rod M0JLA/P on G/NP-014.
Mike

1 Like

This might have been suggested before. One solution would be to this problem if the activation window for one activation would last for 24 hours. The event starts with the first QSO and last for 24 hour. That is counted as one activation. This would eliminate cases when a summit was only activated once but it is listed as activated twice. Activator unique list same issue. Only one climb but listed as two.

Another solution is to rename those fields like “number of activation” to “Count of UTC days when in activity” or such.

I had only one phantom QSO recorded in the database from my recent Algarve Tour.

The QSO with Hans DL2KAS was not completed due to QSB:

07/Sep/2014 11:17 DL2KAS CT7/G4OBK/P CT/AL-003 Serra do Monte Figo 10MHz CW

Please remove the QSO from the database Hans, sorry we did not complete due to a complete fade out of signals. I was pleased to work you on six other CT7 summits, many thanks for calling. Here is me operating on CT/AL-006 Serra de Salir, a summit I worked you on and 70 other stations:

73 Phil G4OBK

Hello!

I tried but I didn’t figure out the way to see if I’m in someone’s log. How should I proceed ?

This hard than making some summit QSO’s…

Thank you for the time taken by MT to take care of Sota reflector, database, mapping, etc

Vy 73

Pedro CT1DBS/CU3HF

Hi Pedro.

Log on to the database. Then follow the menus:

View Results -> Activator Roll of Honour

Select the association you want and click Show!

Find the activator’s call sign and click View

Find the activation you are interested in and click Show Log. There you have it.

If you are not logged in you will not get that final Show Log link - you must log in first.

73, Simon

Hi Simon

TNX. It work FB.

I tried b4 but I’m not logged… :blush:

Pedro, CT1DBS/CU3HF

1 Like

Interesting

But i have noted another mistake that takes place and done it of late many a time, when worked a station on 10mhz have for some unknown reason placed it under 30mhz DOHHH.

Since sorted since the 6 and 10m challenge was on , I spotted a section on the logs of doing a said thing and it quickly shows bands dates work etc, and first thing I spotted on there was a contact to a USA sota on 30mhz ( DOOHH ) should have been 10mhz BUT too boot when double checked me logs could not find in the paper log so via QRZ.COM log I found put in OCT instead of NOV 2014.

So one year into sota-ing still picking up bits got wrong, But thankfully put an important one, right :smile:
Karl

1 Like

Que?

I don’t understand what you’re on about, Karl.

(1) There is no 30 MHz amateur band, and it is not possible to enter 30 MHz as the frequency in the SOTA database.

(2) As for 10 MHz, there is no SOTA activity on SSB on this band … only CW and a very small amount of digital mode activity. So how did you manage to work any SOTA stations on 10 MHz?

:astonished:

Walt (G3NYY)

There is some SSB activity from time to time from “Down Under” as their regulations permit it!

1 Like

Swap MHz for m and it the words work.

Sadly, even someone as perfect as me says 18m for the 17m band when thinking of 18MHz!

I can’t remember if Karl has a TS120 or TS130, if it’s a 120 then he hasn’t got WARC bands anyway.

Finally, ISTR the CSV upload will accept 28.000MHz <= Freq <= 30.000MHz as being a 10m frequency. Probably should be 29.700 but it works good enough :smile:

1 Like