Phantom QSOs!

In reply to G8ADD:

Well, I guess most of us have learned something there! I was taught
that an equals sign with a diagonal slash through it did that job.

In maths, yes, but that isn’t a type-able symbol so programming languages use != because ! is often used to mean inverse or not.

Colin G8TMV

1 Like

In reply to G8TMV:

but that isn’t a type-able symbol

Maybe Brian has an IBM Selectric with an APL ball Colin? :wink:

Andy
MM0FMF

2 Likes

In reply to MM0FMF:
APL?! Now that’s the stuff of nightmares! Data Processing once got hold of that and started using it to develop signal-processing algorithms which they then expected us to “productionize” on a system using FORTRAN, ASSEMBLER, and FPS microcode…

73, Rick M0LEP

1 Like

In reply to MM0FMF:

Maybe Brian has an IBM Selectric with an APL ball Colin? :wink:

I’ve heard that the ointment is very effective …

73 de Les, G3VQO

1 Like

Totally agree Mike, and good reasons you give. I log every contact on every band and mode as an activator, and also as a chaser. Whether or not there is possible credit going for it in terms of 12m Challenge or VHF Mountain Hunter I don’t really care, I just keep the log fully complete. I’ve nothing against zeros … which is good, because many appear in my activator and chaser logs!

Tom M1EYP

1 Like

In reply to KD9KC:

Mike, I agree and do the same. I go so far as to log a double contact on the same band and same activation. Say an OM gives me a call early in the activation and then comes back to tell me that my signal has gone up from say a 44 to a 59, I will go ahead and log it twice and upload it twice. I don’t see any harm in it as they were both valid contacts and covers all basis.

Matt
KF7PXT

1 Like

I don’t go that far Matt. I do experience what you describe from time to time, and I thank the caller for the updated report, but don’t log them again - unless it is a different band or mode, as I like to keep my data accurate for my own purposes.

Tom M1EYP

1 Like

In reply to M1EYP:

As a chaser, I think one QSO with an activator on a particular summit should be enough. (except for the current 12m challenge).
As the number of chasers continues to grow, those with lots of power seeking multi band /mode QSO’s with an activator will make it more difficult for others with modest stations to participate.
Even now, I find myself waiting around until the ‘big boys’ are done… Cheers…

1 Like

As an activator, I get the clear impression that the “multiband” chasers tend to hold back until things go quiet before calling in themselves for a 2nd (or more) QSO on a single activation.

Cabin fever here as my car has been off the road for well over a week, making getting out for activations rather tricky…

Tom M1EYP

1 Like

In reply to M1EYP:

Cabin fever - wait until it is 18 months then you will know what cabin fever is!!

To stay on topic (sort of) - I always log(ged) every contact except same band duplicates, seems only fair.

Barry GM4TOE

1 Like

In reply to VE7KBN:
Trouble is, with my limited CW ability, and in the heat (or chill) of battle, when the pole has fallen over again and the rig tumbled down the gradient for the third time, I don’t blame either the other guy/gal or me for the occasional mistake. But 1700 total is no mistake.

Surely this is a possible need of proper radio education. There are some around who seem to think that SSB or CW works the same as the mobile phone system, and if they can hear you you MUST be hearing them, or wanting to…

As SOTA gets more popular this sort of thing will happen more frequently, unless there are checks against it.

My thanks to the MT and all who work so well to put together a great scheme and a really enjoyable way to enjoy AR.
Les

1 Like

In reply to VE7KBN:

As a chaser, I think one QSO with an activator on a particular summit should be enough. (except for the current 12m challenge).

As a VHF + HF activator, I find it interesting to see whether contacts can be made on both parts of the RF spectrum. I am happy to work anyone on any band and the second QSO only need be a brief exchange of reports and 73s. I am always pleased when I can qualify the summit on each band that I use.

Anyway, I will have no one deny me being able to attain the “Worked all RQL Award” :wink: (with apologies to Don)

73, Gerald G4OIG

1 Like

In reply to F6HBI:

Salut Gerald,

just for your info, DL8YR is silent key on 26/05/2012.

Best wishes and cu from the summits!
Fritz HB9CSA / DL4FDM

1 Like

In reply to HB9CSA:
Tnx for this sad info Fritz, i din’t know that.
See you soon.
Gerald

In reply to M1EYP:

Hello together,

My unconfirmed rate is high. Why, this is quite simple: Germany / Saxony, there is still next to the SOTA “Saxony summit contest” (Saxon summit radio activity) and even GMA. Especially in the “Saxony summit contest” (Saxon summit radio activity), there are many radio amateurs are NOT registered or join SOTA SOTA, SOTA, however, comply with the rules and meet their 100%. Why should I summit QSOs will not login, just because the activator is not registered with SOTA, or does not participate in SOTA, although it participates ALL rules are satisfied and another summit radio activity?

Regards Joerg
DG0JMB

Sorry for the bad english - translated by google! :slight_smile:

Links:

http://www.dl2lto.de/SBW/sc/SBW_bergliste.htm

1 Like

You are quite correct Joerg. There is no problem with unconfirmed QSOs where the activator is not someone who uploads to the SOTA Database.

This issue was raised because of the behaviour of a well-known chaser who was claiming QSOs that had not taken place.

Tom M1EYP

1 Like

In reply to M1EYP:

ok, Tom.

In reply to DG0JMB:
where they not out last night Tom could also be a name for a pop group The Phantoms lol cheers tom M3xie

In reply to G4OIG:
how can I see the activator’s log to find a typo in his log?
I have one unconfirmed qso as a chaser btw.

In reply to OE9FWV:

Log in to the database and you can view every activator and chaser log that has been submitted.

Andy
MM0FMF