Perhaps the smallest and cheapest straight key?

73 Chris

11 Likes

Must give that a go. As a second key it could rescue an activation when the iambic failed (yes the cable has fractured).So often the simple solutions are overlooked.
Thank you
David
G0EVV

2 Likes

Sorry Chris, no good, too fiddly for me. I would revert to Voice Morse using the words dit and dah. I’ve done it before and I would do it again.

73 Phil Gr4OBK

4 Likes

I really like seeing the inventions and ingenuity people come up with. Great job!
Here’s one I made from an old gift card and copper tape used jn stained glass making. Im “pounding plastic” instead of brass.
Are there any other simple key makers out there?

straightkey

2 Likes

This is probably lighter and cheaper … and lighter to operate than that pushbutton.
It has been my spare key for years.

mini_key

The switch is from an old 3.5" dikette drive, you know, that little switch that detected if your diskette had the “write protect” tab open or closed.

I have also made a simple plug-in paddle with 2 such switches, you can see it in action at the end of this video. It can simply be reversed by turning it 180 degrees.

Luc ON7DQ

7 Likes

Very nice, Luc. This is much smaller and also a paddle.
73 Chris

Those are good as backup keys. They take litteraly no space in your backpack and can save your activation if you main key misbehaves. I’ve put together a repair/backup set in small waterproof plastic box and it comes with me on all activations. I should do a post about it!

1 Like

Hello Chris -
Your straight key on a pigtail is a marvelous idea - mine is a bit smaller perhaps but you can’t put it where it’s needed. It’s pictured next to a pretty small paddle that I used before being lucky to have a Palm Pico…
73, Etienne-K7ATN

5 Likes