People from Andy's formative ....... Part 4

I was never a fan of him, The Specials or Ska at the time when 2-Tone records were big (1978-82) when I was doing A-levels and going to university. However, like Reggae, there are some Ska tracks which are just very good and enjoyable and Gangsters was one of them. I liked Madness and their first album much more as they smiled and looked like they were enjoying themselves though!

What’s scary Paul is Terry Hall was just a bit older than me and a bit younger than you, that’s rather sobering.

Indeed it is Andy, which is why we all need to make the most of each and every day.

2 Likes

May be John Bird was too long ago for you Andy @MM0FMF.
I have enjoyed seeing some of his hilarious sketches on TV today on his departure at the age of 86 today. No politicians with airs and graces survived his wit.
Jim

1 Like

He’s another of them Jim. I remember him from many things and a brilliant comedic talent who performed some of the greatest satire ever.

Europe: This sketch is from 1996 but could have been from 2016 in the way it lampoons Brexiteers.

Sub-prime finance

2 Likes

It might not have been your thing Andy but Maxi Jazz of Faithless departed this mortal coil a few days ago. The music isn’t everyone’s cup of tea but you would all recognise it…especially Insomnia…wait for the drop at 2:18

3 Likes

I see your Specials and raise you The Members, Clean Men

Phew, thank God things have changed eh?

1 Like

It wasn’t. Whilst I recalled hearing the tune just about everywhere, I didn’t know it was by Faithless or called Insomnia and I don’t like it. Dance (and all it’s sub-genres) is like Ska or Reggae etc. to me… there are some in this genre that I really like and plenty I don’t. For a while during proper lockdowns I swapped my Electric Blues playlist on Spotify to a few Deep House lists. Some of it was repetitive nonsense and some was really good. I was somewhat more productive when listening to house music rather than music I knew well. There’s probably a PhD. project in that :wink:

1 Like

Brazilian football legend Pele dead at 82.

I became aware of Pele in 1970 for the World Cup. It was amazing stuff in that satellite TV links were mature enough that all the matches could be watched live and my school used it as a way of bringing geography to live as we studied the other countries involved.

Anyway most schoolboys, never mind adults, were aware of and in awe of Pele. His name just stuck and even as child he was so good to watch.

There’s a photo on the BBC (Pele: Brazil football legend dies aged 82 - BBC Sport), the bumper for the video showing Pele’s face with his perfectly intoxicating smile.

2 Likes

Oh 'eck… Jeff Beck dead at 78.

I always think of The Yardbirds when people say Jeff Beck and not his later solo stuff. So some Yardbirds favs with Jeff on lead.

Evil Hearted You:

I’m Not Talkin’:

3 Likes

Love this cover version of the Beatles song … glad I got to see him playing live in 2014 … RIP

3 Likes

Raquel dead at 82.

4 Likes

A classic commentary line.

John Motson RIP.

1 Like

Gary Rossington…

1 Like

Hmmm… Gary Rossington dead at 71. Gary was the last original member of Lynyrd Skynyrd still alive and died yesterday. He managed to survive car and plane crashes in that time. He was a very tuneful rock guitarist.

I first heard Lynyrd Skynyrd when my mate Ziggy’s older brother bought their 1st album “Pronounced Lehnerd Skinerd” (a parody of their gym teacher’s name from school) in 1973. Ziggy thought the name was cool but I thought the music was cool and was different to lots of other rock music. They were the epitome of what became known as Southen Rock. They had three, then two then three leading guitarists giving rise to lots of guitar harmonies.

Skynyrd was simply de rigueur music to do homework and revision to when I was still at school. Today, 45 years later it’s still listened too regularly chez FMF. The band suffered a major tragedy when many members were killed in a plane crash in 1977 and whilst they reformed and play still today, it’s the original pre-crash band that I listened to. I feel my teenage years have just got a lot more distant.

Possibly my favourite Skynyrd track with Gary playing the lead and solos.

3 Likes

Sweet Home Alabama still pops up in set lists for gigs I do. Last time as recently as 8 days ago.

1 Like

I hope you count it in just like Ed does in the original :wink:

Another great gone: Wayne Shorter died on March 2nd at the age of 90. He played tenor sax in Miles Davis’ second quintet and co-founded the famous fusion band Weather Report. I greatly admired his virtuosity but went for a very different tone with my tenor!

1 Like

Well yeah - everything is counted in audibly in a live gig situation! OK, not if it’s an “in-ears” gig - but they’re still in the minority on my date sheet.

1 Like

One of those very rare instances when a cover knocked spots off the original - was Buddy Rich Big Band’s arrangement of Weather Report’s “Birdland”.

1 Like

Yes I saw that Brian, there’s so few of the people from the golden age of hard-bob left. He’s not of my misspent / formative youth but from my 30s onwards. I always thought he had wonderful tone and feel to his playing but I just don’t gel with his tunes compared to other hard-bob musicians .