Peaks that have been split by human intervention - does the AZ still count ?

There are couple of examples of peaks in the W6/NC region that are sub divided by a road that was constructed after nature formed the peak. Either side of the road is within the activation zone height. The saddle the road forms in not natural. Do both sides of the road still count as being within the activation zone ?

2 Likes

Hi Brian,

If the saddle that the road forms is within the AZ then both sides of the road are still good. If it does dip down below the 25m line then only the higher ‘peak’ would qualify. This would be easy to demonstrate in CalTopo if you have an example. I don’t believe that it really matters if it is natural or man-made. I believe that some of the Belgian summits are Terrils which are obviously completely man-made.

73, pat - ww4d

4 Likes

Pat is correct. The applicable rule is Section 3.7.1.4 of the General Rules, which specifies the AZ is defined by the closed contour line that is the minimum vertical distance below the summit point (usually 25m).

2 Likes

Indeed : ON/ON-028, ON/ON-029 and ON/ON-030 .

But the German DM/NW-134 “Sophienhöhe” (301.8 m AMSL) is the largest artificial hill worldwide, created by surface mining at the open cast lignite mine

2 Likes