Patterson Mtn, WA W7W/OK-275 - Summit mosaic art and nice hike near Winthrop

Patterson Mountain is a popular hike located near Winthrop, WA and also near the Sun Mountain Lodge. Trailhead parking is located at Patterson Lake (Discover Pass Required), and the trail begins across the street. I tracked the trail at 3.8 total miles and 1,076 feet of gain, which included going up the Southern Loop portion of trail and coming back the Northern Loop. I first hiked this trail in the Spring (2019), and this time hiked in late September (2022). The weather was not too hot for both, and were nice times to enjoy the trail.

There are great views from the summit of Patterson Lake and nearby Sun Mountain Lodge, Methow Valley with Goat Peak in the distance, Winthrop, and views looking toward Twisp. For “playing radio” this time, I used an Elecraft KX2 radio at 10 watts with a Sotabeams Four-band linked dipole. The first time activating this summit, I strapped my antenna mast to a bush…but this time, sat next to the cistern with mosaic artwork.

Overall enjoyed this hike again, and is a recommended hike close to Winthrop. A few other popular hikes and SOTA summits in the area include: Goat Peak Lookout (W7W/OK-107) is farther west near Mazama, Tiffany Mountain (W7W/OK-029) is north from Winthrop, and I still need to check out Lookout Mountain (W7W/OK-161) near Twisp.

73, James WA7JNJ

5 Likes