Partial lunar eclipse🌕

Don’t forget the partial lunar eclipse today from 2000 utc. Jupiter at the bottom left of the photo is also watching.:wink:

73 Chris

7 Likes

73 Chris

12 Likes

As usual whenever there is an eclipse, an aurora or an outbreak of noctilucent clouds - it was cloudy here! I am sure that if Betelgeuse goes supernova in my lifetime all I will see is the clouds getting brighter!

4 Likes

I got a brief glimpse of the Moon with a flat edge through the patchy fast-moving clouds. Enough to tick the “seen it” box, but not worth staying out to watch. That’s often the way. These days I like to leave most of my contribution to astronomy to automatic systems. The two meteor cameras on the end of the house stare un-blinking at the night sky, and even on a night like last night they often catch a few meteors. Of course, some nights there’s just no hope. :cloud: :cloud: :cloud:

1 Like

Even the clear nights are disappointing nowadays, I can’t remember the last time I walked into the garden and could see the Milky Way. I remember it slowly emerging out of the smoke and haze of industrial Birmingham back in the '60s as the smokeless zones started to take effect but in the last few decades the street lighting has become brighter and brighter and nowadays I feel lucky if I can see magnitude 4 stars without aid. At least I can say that I have seen every major comet since Arend-Roland 1956h until this year!

1 Like

Sadly, yes. The old sodium lighting chewed enough power that there was some incentive to get the light directed as effectively as possible. The present generation of LED lighting doesn’t provide the same incentive, so poorly directed light is far more common, and privately-installed LED “security” lighting is pretty much out of control, with lights often installed so that half their light output goes up into the sky. I eventually managed to get one particularly bad one a hundred metres away down hill adjusted enough that it didn’t light up my house every time it came on, but even that was a struggle…

Tonight, of course, a day past full, the Moon and Jupiter are rising in an almost clear sky, and looking very pretty. :wink:

2 Likes

This evening the sky was very clear again. I couldn’t help it and pointed my Panasonic Lumix G9 towards Jupiter again with the Leica 50-200mm zoom.
And suddenly Jupiter’s moons appeared.
73 Chris
01143241_1_1_1_1

5 Likes

It is rumoured that you have seen Halley’s comet twice :rofl:
Actually, that is possible in a normal lifetime!!!

2 Likes

No, but actually my Dad did!

There were two particularly spectacular comets in 1910. The second was Halley’s Comet. The first was C/1910 A1, otherwise known as the Great January Comet of 1910 - Wikipedia

1 Like

Better known as the “Daylight Comet”. I haven’t seen a really decent comet since Hale-Bopp but I am crossing my fingers for C/2023A3 Tsuchinshan-ATLAS next year, we must be about due for a big one!

1 Like