p150

Hi,

Earlier I heard that the Association HA is going to loose 2/3’s of it summits. Yesterday I read on the reflector that the DM association has been taken over by the MT and that also there summits are going to be deleted. I hear also rumors for the same in OE-land…

What is the MT trying to do here, fix an error they say…possible…and maybe then this is a positive reaction.

But…with deleting a lot of summits a lot of fun will disappear and more people will go to GMA and WFF. Already a lot have done that. When i look at the Belgian activator list not half of the people there have activated a summit the last 2 years. Many are now active in WFF.

Imagine that with deleting summits people will have to drive even further to find a hill to activate. When i’m done with the interesting summits in Belgium I go to Germany, my last activating tour I had driven 600kms, 3 activators in the car, 5 summits done. Will i have to do even more kilometers next time ? If so…i can also activate WFF’s, first one is at 1km from my qth, many are in the neighbourhood from where I live.

Dear MT, let it be as it is please and many activators and chasers will be pleased.

73, not 44 (yet)
ON6UU

Hi,

You are absolutely right, but a discussion is unwanted by the MT.
Very disappointing.

Steffen, DL3JPN

You are mistaken, Steffen, there has been a long, LONG discussion with over 500 posts, only terminated when it strayed from topic and got silly.

The MT are well aware of the arguments about having to drive longer distances, this is an argument that has re-surfaced time and time again in the history of SOTA, but if we were to change SOTA to P100, doesn’t that then open us to the argument that there would be even more summits if we adopted P50? And then P25? In fact, why bother to have a prominence rule at all? No, the MT decision is that it is better to keep SOTA as it was originally designed, with a P150 prominence rule.

One good thing that will come out of this prominence change, a few additional summits in the north of DM have been spotted.

Brian

1 Like

No argument as discussion was declared for closed. Everyone interested can make his own statistics and samples from the ufb database to compare activity 2014 with activity 2016 (2015 may be like the sudden and un-representative rush of rarely seen customers for closing sale).
It will be rather simply motivation&goals vs. ressources mainly in time how the outcome will be. “Poweractivators” who already now do four to six summits a day are so ardent that 100 or more additional km may not be an issue.

Others who try to fit radiohiking into everyday life with smaller time ressources live in radiuses determined by driving and hiking distance. The number of therein available summits will have an impact of to be determined size. As far as I can guesstimate only for me, my now first GMA-acitivity will definitely not be my last. And such non-SOTA-hills like this one (Schneekopf in DM/TH) are enjoyable, too - and this is the ultimate goal, isn’t it?

Brian,

There is no question about P50 or P25, it is only a polite question to keep as is. SOTA is going to loose people more then you think.

A take over by the MT of the DM association and reporting this as been done on sotawatch will hopefully trigger a lot of people to ask not to do change things. Giving some Northly hills in stead is just a sweetener…

I just now seen the map for Hungary, IT IS SHOCKING ME !!! All those nice hills ( many 1 pointers harder to climb then a DM 6 pointer ) with nice views over Lake Balaton will no longer be valid for SOTA. This was real sota, climbing a hill for an hour in the b****y sun, sweating like a horse, coming up the hill, seeing the sights, it will all be gone… …

Thank you MT…

Frank ON6UU

1 Like

GMA is almost the same as SOTA, many GMA also are valid for SOTA. On the GMA website admns share info about everything, info of wff is there, sota , etc…

Oh please, where did that hilarious phrase come from :slight_smile: Hope I am feeling powerful for Saturday. Makes SOTA sound like an energy drink commercial.

2 Likes

Yawn here we go again .
You should come to vk5 and see how far we have to drive then walk two hours to climb up for 1 point.
no car parks at the top of our summits . We are very happy to have SOTA and p 150 as the RULE .
Must get some Poweractivator too take on some lectriclights.
Ian vk5cz …

11 Likes

I just now seen the map for Hungary, IT IS SHOCKING ME !!! All those nice hills ( many 1 pointers harder to climb then a DM 6 pointer ) with nice views over Lake Balaton will no longer be valid for SOTA. This was real sota, climbing a hill for an hour in the b****y sun, sweating like a horse, coming up the hill, seeing the sights, it will all be gone…

A some years ago I seen this map in OK:

IT IS SHOCKING ME ALSO!!!

Well done to the MT for the clearing the summit list.
Summits on the Air (SOTA) is an award scheme for radio amateurs and shortwave listeners that encourages portable operation in mountainous areas

7 Likes

Hello,
As Brian G8ADD has said this has had a airing on a earlier topic and has had 500+ comments.

There have been + and - for people - and the departure of two AM’s - Germany and Spain.
Might be worthwhile working through the earlier thread.
Night night.
Mike

Mike I do wish you would stop deliberately spreading disinformation. The German AM has not resigned nor has he been replaced.

4 Likes

Of course it is, they have copied our data.

2 Likes

SOTA MT wrote on April 15th 2015:
The MT is sad to announce that the DM Association will be administered from today by the MT.

MM0FMF wrote on April 17th 2015:
Mike I do wish you would stop deliberately spreading disinformation. The German AM has not resigned nor has he been replaced.

???
Vy73 Fritz DL4FDM, HB9CSA

Micheal DB7MM specifically did not resign as DM AM and the MT has not replaced him. He is still DM AM.

It cannot be any simpler but I can show this in pictures if this will help in anyway?

2 Likes

Very sorry, when Michael DB7MM told me, I assumed it was true. When EA2CW (AM for EA2) said the same - I thought it was true. I have obviously been misled…
Mike

Well he told us he was not resigning, he told everyone on your little facebook group the same thing. If you are going to stir up things the way you have been doing for weeks now you should at least be sure of your facts otherwise you’ll look a right plonker wont you?

If he told you something different then you are having your strings pulled. I do hope you are not being setup to be the fall guy Mike.

4 Likes

Hmm… maybe Andy?
By the way it is not my “little facebook group” I am just one of (currently) 299 members. I was invited.
Have a good weekend, bands not good here today.
Night night
Mike

So, I’m told, did WFF. Too uninterested to bother checking!

Brian

Of course you were invited. You’re being fed the lines which you dutifully regurgitate on here by people who have too much to lose if they were excluded from the program. If it all goes wrong you carry the can for stirring up trouble and they can claim full innocence and continue in SOTA. I’d have thought you were smart enough to see that Mike?

GMA, WFF and even HEMA/Summitsbase have all “helped themselves” (kind choice of verb, others are available) to SOTA’s data. None therefore can claim to be truly independent!