OT - Winter reading

Apologies if this is off topic.

I’ve just downloaded the Kindle book - Cairngorm John: A Life in Mountain Rescue, which is, for today only, 99pence (reduced from £8)
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Cairngorm-John-A-Life-in-Mountain-Rescue/dp/B00AXZ5NEU/?tag=inbobafb-21

No idea if it’s any good but from the description it might be of interest to some of us who visit the high places.

I now return you to your normal schedule…
Pete

Description:
For over thirty years John Allen was an active member of the Cairngorm Mountain Rescue Team and for most of them acted as Team Leader. In ‘Cairngorm John’ (his call sign when in contact with search and rescue helicopters) he recalls the challenges of mountain rescue and the many changes he has both witnessed and been a party to. His book is filled with exciting accounts of real-life rescues, discussions of mountain rescue topics such as hypothermia, first aid, and the use of helicopters and search and rescue dogs. Peopled with interesting characters his accounts are at all times humane and the book is laced with humour.

In reply to G4ISJ:
Hi Pete,

I was given this book as a ‘pressie’ a couple of years ago. Good read as to the Group’s evolution, incidents and the make-up of the members & professions. Interesting! And bit embarrassing for the RAF as to the incident where the rescue helo had to be rescued. Oops! (:>)

Enjoy the read

Jack (;>J
GM4COX

In reply to GM4COX:

And bit embarrassing for the RAF as to the
incident where the rescue helo had to be rescued. Oops! (:>)

I walked past the grounded Sea King in Coire an t-Sneachda when it was all frozen up. My pity was reserved for the poor RAF Regiment soldiers that had to guard it 24x7 until it was finally de-iced and flown out. I thought it was there a few days, but the article below says it was stuck for nine days!

Gerald
MW0WML

In reply to G4ISJ:
Hi Pete

Thanks very much for this. I have just downloaded the book on my new toy (iPad). Great value and great to work you yesterday!

Nick G4OOE

In reply to MW0WML:

We all had the same choices when we rocked up at the CIO! Never felt pity for a rockape myself.

Not sure they’d like being called soldiers, they’re gunners you see.

Ian mm0gyx

In reply to MM0GYX:

Not sure they’d like being called soldiers, they’re gunners you see.

Ooops!

Still, I’ll probably get away with soldier, more than you getting away with rockape… hi hi

Gerald
MW0WML

In reply to MW0WML:
Always thought they were RockApes as previously noted.
A honourable nickname