Optical telegraph near Peña Adrián EA1/BU-085

Motivation

Do I mean doing QSO with an optical telegraph for Sota? No, not a new communication mode, let’s see what I mean, later…

The Obarenes range comprises 10 summits in EA1/BU & EA1/LR, ranging between 1436 m -704 m. See all of them in the map (marker dots):

I am lucky to spend some of my holidays in this area and I have been activating them progressively during the past years.
Today I’m gonna activate the last and minor one: Mt. Peña Adrian EA1/BU-085. That’s the Obarenes completed!

Activation date: August 19th 2023.

Driving directions

The trail starts at the village of Valverde de Miranda. There you drive the village up and approach to the water reservoir located on a high area. You need to walk the last few meters to reach this reservoir as the path is not clean from vegetation.

The climb

This mountain is also called “La Llana”, that means “flat”. When you see this mountain at a distance you may guess the reason for that name.

Despite it is a short hike the climb it was unpleasant because the paths are not clear all the way up and there are lots of bushes with spikes and loose gravel at times.
Walking the first meters was a bit hard and I fall twice due to the steep start and lack of path.
I could see where to go in the distance but there were naughty bushes all over:

I was glad to wear long trousers, else I wouldn’t recommend to access this summit.
After some minutes putting a spell on this mountain, I found a clearer path now that I aproached the ridge.

At this middle part of the trek I found some curious long stones forming caves. This point also requires a lot of precaution to avoid falling. It’s better to loose some height and pass under that “roof”.

The final part is easier with a clear path.

The very summit is large enough for wire antennas and have some little trees to provide a comfortable shade on a sunny day.

The mountain mailbox is just at the corner over the fall to the valley.

The activation

My gear today is: LNR LD-5, 3 x 21700 LiIon cells and EFHW antenna inverted vee on a 5 m carbon pole.

I sat near the trees so that I could run under the shade, running in 7 & 14 MHz SSB & CW. I closed my log with 93 QSO including 19 S2S, several of them were EA friends and one of them was with EA2TP/P who was testing his new magnetic loop antenna; he sounded right on 20 meters. The final QSO was a S2S with my friend Javi EA2GM/P on a new summit, thanks!

Optical telegraph

Before leaving the summit after the activation I saw a curious tower just in front of me down in the valley.

I went down and approached to visit it. Although it is in ruins, you can still see the structure.

This tower is one out of 52 line of stations that worked as an optical telegraph, back in 1846. There were separated about 10 - 15 km to the next one.

This one was nr. 33 of the so called Line 1 Castilla. This line started in Madrid and ended in Irun, covering about 480 kilometers. See the position of this tower in the map and the other main lines:

All towers had a similar building of 12 m height. The communication device was on top and consisted on a sophisticated semaphore, capable of different positions.

The operator of the tower was constantly monitoring the previous tower and if warned with a sign, it had to reproduce the position of the visual indicator for each character so that the next tower could also forward the message.

We can find a similar but reworked tower including its mechanism not far away, in Quintanilla de la Rivera, which is referenced as tower number 34:

See the numbers assigned to the position of the center cilinder and lateral ball. They allowed 196 different combinations:

The operators didn’t know the meaning of the message, only the first and last tower had the code to get the message decoded once all signs had been transmitted. They were used for military purposes.
A message could take up to 6 hours to reach the destination in this line L1!

This optical telegraph worked for about two decades, and it was replaced by the electric telegraph in 1853. It’s obvious that the optical telegraph had issues: it wasn’t operational at night. The operators had to constantly monitor for signs, and could not work due to fog.

It’s funny to realize that I was sending telegraphic messages with a pocket gear to many distant places from a summit near this tower almost 200 years later… All messages reached its destination without a delay, hi!

73 de Ignacio

31 Likes

I thought I’d heard of this kind of system somewhere before: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cPeVsniB7b0

1 Like

Fascinating Ignacio, how communication has changed! North Wales had its own semaphore. The Liverpool to Holyhead route.
History of the Atlantic Cable & Submarine Telegraphy - Liverpool - Holyhead Semaphore Telegraph

SOTA’s first heliograph S2S contact (2005);

6 Likes

In 1850, San Francisco used a semaphore to signal arrival of ships. Its location was then named Telegraph Hill, which maintains that name today

Elliott, K6EL.

5 Likes

What an interesting tip, Ignatio. An optical telegraph line also passed near me hometown. I already had the idea of ​​announcing a contest in which as many station locations as possible were activated. Unfortunately there are no summits.

73 Chris

2 Likes

Hi guys,

thanks for the niteresting feedback. Yes, similar devices spread over Europe those years, and were later replaced by the wire telegraph.
It’s been a long way to reach the current telecom status available for us.

Roger, very nice to see you did use a heliograph for a S2S with success!

73 Ignacio

5 Likes

Por lejos creo que esta publicación es una de las más interesantes que he leído!
Gracias por compartir.
73, JP3PPL

2 Likes

Thank you Ignacio for this interesting report, where you have shown us this ancient and interesting form of communication.
Thank you also for waiting for me to finish the hard climb to Pico Carria. It was a great pleasure for me to do the qso s2s with you.
I hope we can repeat another s2s soon!!!

3 Likes

Very cool thread!

Elliott, as another SF local that would be a really fun mini “activation” (I realize it’s not a summit) Do you know of any similar sites? Perhaps we could find people and so a “historical” activation; angel island, alcatraz, telegraph hill, pigeon point lighthouse etc.

-Tony KM6AM

(P.S. Elliott, my daughter (age 6) considers you to be her friend since you’ve called us on nearly all of our local summits, she’s decided she doesn’t want to activate summits that have been activated more than 100 times unless they are summits you have done! Thanks for helping with the community!)

1 Like

Hi El,
Last week, Kay and I activated Heliograph Peak, W7A/AE-011, just south of Mount Graham, AZ.
It was part of an Army heliograph network, starting in Prescott, AZ, and covering much of the southwest. As with semaphores, the sun needed to be out, which it is much of the daytimes in the southwest. Many old heliograph sites are now SOTA peaks for good reason.

2 Likes

Tony

Sounds like a project for the SF Amateur Radio Club. In addition to what you listed, there is Twin Peaks, Mt Sutro, Nob Hill, Fort Point, Hawk Hill, Berkeley Campanile, etc. Say hello to little miss “soon to be licensed”. One of my clubs owns the Family Farm in your town. I’ll waive to her next time I pass by.

Let me introduce you to K6HPX, who posted above in this thread. LIke you, his degree is in physics, as is his career.

Elliott, K6EL

3 Likes

Samuel Morse saw the semaphore flag system used by Napoleon to communicate right across
France. He came to reason that there might be a better way using electricity to speed it up.
He consulted with Prof Henry who had a signaling line from the University lab to his home to tell his wife when he was heading home. That cemented the scheme in Morse’s mind although he had no idea how far it could be made to work.
Alfred Vail helped Morse with the electrics and with refining the initial code. American Railway Morse was used from 1844 until 1970. International Morse was devised to make for better efficiency with other languages and had been much as we use it since 1865.

Railways still use flags for some signalling.

I think using flags for a SOTA QSO would be neat.

4 Likes

We regularly did Naval Communication Exercises using all forms of signalling. We did a light and flags one with the Nato squadron regularly. Royal Navy warships had ‘masthead flashers’ which we only got to use occasionally and on the ARK ROYAL we had Daylight signalling lamps on the foremast in addition to the masthead flashers. The aim of every warship as it viewed another one on the horizon was to get the bunting tosser (c’est moi) on to the 10" or 15" lamp to ask who they were. Alls well and good until a Russian joins your line announced in the night and doesn’t know the procedure!

3 Likes

That would be a fun project. I don’t know anyone in the SF club, I’m just getting involved a bit (gone to two San Mateo Club Events)

Ken K6HSX was actually my daughter’s first CW contact operating under my call (unfortunately haven’t been able to keep up her enthusiasm for morse), good to know he is also a physicists! Seems like EA2BD brought up something of real community interest!

2 Likes

I need to find some other SOTA activator who has one of these and we can have QSOs in the THz :wink:

It’s a WW2 RAF survival heliograph (AA cell for size). There’s instructions on the back saying how to use it. That string is 80+ years old!

7 Likes

Yup got one somewhere in my kit box, slightly later vintage

2 Likes

A couple of our club members have been trying out some original heliograph comms kit, with a write up and some photos here:

Sorry, original link was to a closed group - this should be better:

One end was on a SOTA summit! (Wrekin G/WB-010)

2 Likes

Very cool! I participated as Ham support to a Scouting program called “Operation On Target” that conducts a signaling exercise with scouts. They build their own signal mirrors and do some planning etc and then we hams to some real time coordination for them via 2M. It’s a hoot! All their materials are up here: What is Operation On Target? - BSA Operation On Target

2 Likes

Hello,

thanks for sharing info of optical signaling.
It’s nice to see about distant communication, even if it’s not done by a radio.

Any mode contributes and attract people about coding and sending messages.

2 Likes

Some of my local Omen broke their own world record in transmitting ATV via laser a few years ago. Incredible 118km.

Here is the report in German. Please use the translation by Google or others.
https://dj1wf.darc.de/Laser/Brocken/Brocken.html

A clip showing the atv screen

73 Chris

4 Likes