one satellite contact SOTA ! Great Malcolm

I’ve made contacts through satellites before, but yesterday was the first time I’ve made a satellite contact from a SOTA summit. I worked Adrian Engele , AA5UK, who was roving in EN56 from the summit of Mont Chauve, VE2/LR-038 in FN36. We worked through Fox 1B, AO-91, with a UHF uplink and VHF downlink. The satellite was almost due north of me about 15 degrees above my horizon. Since Adrian was south of me, AO-91 must have been right on his horizon at the time. I’m delighted to make a satellite contact from a summit. Now to upgrade the station so it gets easier. First item, a beam antenna for hiking. @amsat #amsat

realy great for me Malcolm ( VE2DDZ )

more info hr

12 Likes

Well done Malcolm, nice to see someone else using the Sats on a SOTA. Although mine is easier in some respects as it does not move (QO-100). I’ve tried using the LEO’s and two hands is just not enough, when you need to aim the aerial, control the radio and write a log.

Good luck with your operating.

Nick G0HIK

1 Like

HI Malcolm!
Good work! You’ll be able to make a lot of satellite QSOs if
you happen to be available at the right time for the passes.
I’ve made literally thousands of OSCAR QSOs with a single
HT and Arrow antenna, it’s even better with 2 HTs and the Arrow.
Also made many OSCAR QSOs with a HT/rubber duck from a
moving AMTRAK train going across the USA! It’s great fun!
P.S. My QSOs were NOT from SOTAs, it should be better up
in the clear!
John, K6YK

2 Likes

NIce work Malcolm! I’ve made many satellite QSO’s fom SOTA summits! Some with chasers in the EU on AO-7(b). I’m still looking for the elusive satellite trans-atlantic - S2S. :slight_smile:

de KE9AJ

2 Likes

I’m looking forward to doing more satellite from summits. I really need a beam antenna I can hike with, but that’s in the works :-).

I’m not enjoying the zoo on the FM satellites though and it’s not just the poor antenna on the summits. I’ve been working from home as well and on many passes, I hear many people talking and few people listening. Since everyone is stepping on everyone else there are not so many QSOs completed as a result.

Malcolm VE2DDZ