On Ilkla Moor Baht'at (And other North Pennine Hills with one)

A few things conspired to delay me so I self-spotted 28 minutes later than my (original) alert time - including the extra time erecting my 60/40/30/20 inverted V linked dipole - so much more fiddly than my inverted-L EFHWs and Cha MPAS Lite vertical - I often wonder if I really get any noticeably-better performance with it.

I don’t normally activate on 40m (CW) and - as in the past - found the QSO rate a bit slow [6 QSOs in 12 mins including Paul @G4IPB ] compared to (my favourite band) 30m. Normally, when the chasers ‘dry up’ I call CQ once more and quit / QSY if there are no more callers. Today, I stayed longer calling CQ a few times hoping Gerald G4OIG would call. 30m was lively as usually [12 QSOs in 16 mins].

There’s no shelter on Dufton Pike G/NP-027 and it started to hail, so I was getting cold despite some sunshine and wearing my winter clothes. I thought I would give 10m a quick go. The band was quiet and despite self-spotting I got no callers. Fortunately, SZ0WARD, a Radio Amateur Association of Greece (R.A.A.G) station was strong and replied giving me a decent report – so at least a 10m path was open to SE Europe.

I’ve never activated Ayr Gill Pike – there’s probably a good reason. My spreadsheet planner says it’s a 100-mins walk from 54.3158, -2.4717. I’ve loads of shorter-ascent summits on my shortlist which I’ll do in the Spring and leave the longer ones to the warmer weather.

Many thanks for that Andy. Unfortunately it just wasn’t to be. I’m sure we would have worked okay had we been time-aligned. .

As for Aye Gill Pike, I see my itinerary for 16th November 2010 set the same 1 hour 40 minutes for the ascent and we (Paul G4MD and myself) bettered it by 8 minutes. Our start point was at SD697911 which equates to 54.314584° N 2.467255° W, by the cattle grid on the A684, so pretty much the same spot as your planner. I do recall the wet bit… but don’t have any photos to enlighten you. Maybe we were concentrating on getting past it at the time and photographing it was the last thing on our mind. The summit is pleasant enough though -

73 and thanks once again,

Gerald

2 Likes