OM1AX & DL3HXX learn to wait!

In reply to OE9AMJ:

OM1AX is sometimes in my log, DL3HXX very often. Both good operators.

Hi Arno,

Likewise as far as I am concerned. Never had an issue with either Vlad or Lothar.

I wonder whether we are having another period of attack on SOTA by pirates picking up on the calls of those who are calling in order to discredit genuine and well-mannered chasers. This must be the easiest way to cause discontent amongst the ranks.

73, Gerald G4OIG

In reply to G4OIG:
I believe that some experienced cw operators claim to be able to recognise other operators by their ‘fist’. If there are any recordings of the alleged offences, perhaps a comparason could be made to detect pirates?

Regards, Dave, G6DTN

In reply to M0DFA:
Mabee but perhaps it’s time to give the topic a rest for a while and see what happens over the coming weeks. Every one concerned has got the picture and time to turn over a new leaf. If goes ok then forgive and forget. Yes?

Damian M0BKV

In reply to M0DFA:

Whilst there might be room for doubt on CW, I have to say that the voices that I hear misbehaving on SSB are recognisable, and the callsigns are recorded on my “little list” (think “Mikado!”)

Brian G8ADD

In reply to M0BKV:

Yes?

Fine with me Damian. I just want to

a) attract a massive pileup when I have carried a heavy bag to a summit
b) work as many stations as possible
c) have fun

(Maybe that should be in reverse order!)

If all chasers send their call just once and only when they can clearly hear me I’ll work everyone much quicker. If I’m a marginal signal with you, wait till your hear me calling CQ a few times. That is distinctive and it’s obvious nobody is replying to me. That is the time to try a marginal contact. Not by sending your call over and over and over again. That just causes massive QRM to the people I could be working. It only slows down the QSO rate for everyone involved.

The top chasers are top chasers not because they have marvellous stations or spend all their time operating. They’re top because they listen to the activator, then listen, then listen. They then send and normally get worked with only 1 or 2 attempts because they send at the right time.

Believe me, you don’t want to end up on Brian’s list.

Andy
MM0FMF

In reply to MM0FMF:

Believe me, you don’t want to end up on Brian’s list.

With apologies to the immortal W.S.Gilbert who I have tried to savage as little as possible:

As some day it may happen that a victim must be found
I’ve got a little list - I’ve got a little list
Of Chaser-type offenders who might well be underground
And who never would be missed - who never would be missed.
There’s the pestilential nuisances who call and call and call
and if they cannot hear you they will call you all the more.
All children with a microphone who floor you with it flat,
all persons who on keying up will block you just like that,
and all third persons who on spoiling contacts just insist.
They’d none of them be missed - they’d none of them be missed!

(Chorus)
He’s got them on the list - he’s got them on the list;
And they never will be missed - they never will be missed!

Light hearted - but still a warning!

Brian G8ADD

In reply to MM0FMF:

Good advice Andy perhaps if everyone followed those techniques we might all get a few more contacts.

I think you are probably talking about CW here but it equally applies to SSB and to a lesser extent FM. I tend to try answering a CQ about 3 times and if I don’t get through go back to listening for a while then try again. Unfortunately I often miss the contact but the hills will be there for another day (well most of them are) and I am sure someone else will come along to activate them.

I just hope that not too many Activators get discouraged by the antics of inconsiderate Chasers.

Colin
M0XSD.

In reply to M0XSD:

I just hope that not too many Activators get discouraged by the antics
of inconsiderate Chasers.

I had a pretty wretched activation of Y Golfa today on 40m ssb. Every time I found a quiet spot something came up on frequency after I started calling, including a music broadcast on 7.120 and continuous tuning on 7.130. I resorted to 2m FM for my fourth contact. Fortunately I had enjoyed activating Allt y Main in the morning and am not totally fed up with HF activation (I have already given up at weekends) but even then there were a lot of repeated double calls. If my hearing had better discrimination I might cope but I just can not pick out intelligible content below the QRM. My apologies to those who genuinely thought they were in my log and find no * in their chaser log but I can only claim 3 confirmed QSOs.

Rod

In reply to M0JLA:

I had a pretty wretched activation of Y Golfa today on 40m ssb. Every
time I found a quiet spot something came up on frequency after I
started calling, including a music broadcast on 7.120 and continuous
tuning on 7.130. I resorted to 2m FM for my fourth contact.

Hi Rod,

I note you managed your fourth contact using a Yaesu HT.

This is a tough VHF FM summit working with a vertical and a lot tougher with just an HT. Well done.

Not sure why, but I’ve got a real soft spot for Y Golfa.

73 Mike
2E0YYY

In reply to G8ADD:
Twas a poet in the Sloth Shack–Brian
Hit us with some couplets–ain’t lyin’
…Still don’t think ‘tis true?
…Go up this thread and you,
Will see he’s so hot he’s fryin’
Elliott, K6ILM
Limerick Lid
December 2012

In reply to M0JLA:

Hi Rod,

I did try to call you but you were pretty weak with me at 47 (about equal with the noise floor here) and then the Tuning started and I lost you altogether.
A pretty bad day for SOTA contacts for me only managing to get Ricky on NW-009 and that was only just , took two attempts at that due to the QSB.
Made up for it with WOTA contacts on 2mFM though:).

Colin
M0XSD.

In reply to MM0FMF:
I have to express to OM1AX and DL3HXX, both are good operators. Really these stations is calling once, at most twice. I’m on the band every day and I hear it. If I’m somewhere on the hill, I’ve never had a problem with them.
Stan OK1AU

In reply to G8ADD:

Something Brian and I share is a delight in Gilbert & Sullivan so to continue his theme may I misquote:

Behold the Lord High Moderator
A personage of noble rank & title
A dignified and potent officer
Whose functions are particularly vital
Defer, Defer
To the Lord High Moderator!

and moving operetas:

For he himself has said it
And its greatly to his credit
That he is the Moderator etc etc!!

Time to draw this to a close?

Barry GM4TOE