OK8CDX+OK8VM Tour agn 02/09/19-09/09/19

We are delayed getting to Klet OK/JC-018. Chairlift running time is 10z. We hope to activate at around 1030-1045z.

73 Phil

1 Like

VICTOR OK8VM behind me in the single seat Chairlift up to Klet OK/JC-018. It takes at least 15 mins to ride to the top. Built 1961.

25 mins to RF on summit on 7033 KHz and 10119.5 KHz.

73 Phil

2 Likes

Took a listen for you on Kluk OK/JC-058 - but couldn’t hear you - I wonder why -

I have no idea what this (new to me) Interference is - it’s in waves as you can see at different steps up the 40m band.

Hope you had a good day and didn’t get the constant rain that we have here today and will be heading your way - sorry.

73 Ed.

1 Like

Yes all gone well today Ed. Two summits scrubbed, will do them on Sunday when we go back to Pribram. One more to do today JC-092, maybe two but I think we will run out of time. NOW rush hour in Ceske Budovice so slow drive. Car needs filling up, 555 km driven in 3.5 days. Your spaced interference looks like VDSL - many UK hams suffering this if the phone lines run overhead.

73 Phil

1 Like

The interference has gone in the meantime - so what it is, I don’t know!

In any case I’ll continue checking for you tomorrow when I see the spots but unless we get some short skip - I don’t think I’ll be able to hear you.

Make sure you have your waterproofs with you tomorrow!

73 Ed.

1 Like

. . . you two are prepared for the essentials I see. Enjoy your expedition!

My SOTA holidays are over unfortunately . . .

Vy 73 de Markus, HB9DIZ

1 Like

Hi Markus

This is my last one this year, try to crack 900 figure for SOTA COMPLETE (Activated and Chased) before the year end.

Todays plan is as follows. Very wet overnight, showers expected. The full list will not be completed, but we will get what we can:

JC-099 > 108 > 087 > 069 > 073 > 057 > 059 > > 061 > 125.

We may decide to do the list in reverse order.

Same style of operation with OK8VM on 10119.5 and me on 7033 and 7 SSB.

Great to see Kevin G0NUP from Scarborough Chasing SOTA again - he’s been absent on the bands for some time. Worked on 40m CW last night on our last summit JC-112, and a good signal too… Off to breakfast now, Victor knocking on my door.

73 Phil

2 Likes

A great day yesterday. There was not a drop of rain, which may not be the case today due to the weather. It is currently raining quite hard, forecast to lighten later. Condx on 20m were pretty good until around 1400z.

We will head out in around one hour with the intention of completing this list - unlikely due to the rain, but we will do what we can:

JC-123 .> JC-064 > JC-124 > JC-068 > JC-065 > OE/NO-135 > JC-115 > JC-117

We drove into Austria twice yesterday and then back into Czechia. We hope we can activate one summit there today.

73 Phil

2 Likes

20 mins to RF from OE/NO-135 20, 30, 40M bands.

This was OK8VM / GI4ONL / OE/G4ONL/P (Call used on activation) on his way to the summit.

73 de Phil G4OBK / OK8CDX / OE/G4OBK/P (Call used on activation)

5 Likes

Phil in action on OE/NO-135, being the gentleman that I am, in respect of age, I gave him the picnic bench even though it was my turn for a seat :smirk:

73 Victor GI4ONL OK8VM OE/G4ONL

6 Likes

Hi Phil,
nice to read your reports and to See the pictures of yr activities
In the last days it wasnt possible to work you. From today on I‘m for holydays with xyl in northern Italy.
Enjoy the trip and have fun,
Paul DL6FBK

Thanks Paul - have a good holiday in Italy.

Yes Victor is correct - he offered me the table on NO-135 without me asking for it…

We have one and half days left on the Tour and today we go back to Pribram. The weather is dry, unlike yesterday when we sat on wet ground (apart from NO-135 for me) and we had to dry out all our kit last night. The owner of Penzion Kosky put the heating on for about 3 hours, which was great, so the rucksacks, boots, poles and antennae etc were thoroughly dried out.

Running order for today, times approx:

JC-110 0700Z
JC-106 0830Z
JC-063 1000Z
ST-054 1115Z
ST-061 1245Z
ST-011 1415Z
ST-015 1530Z

73 Phil G4OBK / OK8CDX

1 Like

Hi Phil nice trip :+1:
just confirm was JC-063 and not ST-063 like you writed on your last post.
73 Eric

1 Like

Thanks Eric. Yes it was JC-063. Post edited.

73 Phil

Congratulations Phil & Victor for thr trip and many thanks to Victor for S2S yesterday from OK/JC-064 !
GL and hope to see you soon :wink:

73, Jarek SP9MA

Thanks Jarek for your kind words. Its been a good tour, although towards the end especially yesterday, it got tiresome operating in wet conditions on damp ground, mostly in the forests. My two and a half year old Scarpa Boots are now worn out on the heels and they have started to let in water, so they are being left in a dustbin in Czechia!( I already have two pairs of old walking boots for gardening in better condx than these ones). I have another pair at home, new in a box waiting to go.

We activated 6 summits today before we ran out of time, so ST-015 was left to one side.

Tomorrow we finalise the operation with 3 or 4 summits listed below (We hope 4) before we head to the car wash and airport):

ST-060
ST-046
ST-067
ST-056

I will question mark the last three so the RBN does not get confused and spew out the wrong reference like it did today once or twice…

Great that you worked Victor yesterday, he did tell me also.

Despite my 75 Sunday SOTA QSOs today from 6 summits none were S2S :cry:

73 Phil G4OBK / OK8CDX

1 Like

Sorry Phil :cry:

I possibly could have gone out up a hill, but my gear puts out about 4w, so I’d be at least 3dB down on you and I’ve had difficulty hearing you during the week.

I also like to work you on your tours, it’s just a little challenge I set myself. Time was running out, so I decided to throw everything I had at obtaining a QSO. I have the use of an IC7000, but it didn’t have a fused power lead, which made me slightly nervous. I use a fused distribution board in my shack, so a fused rig cable isn’t necessary. I spent some time last night making a fused rig lead (It’s not pretty, but it’s functional!). As an aside - whilst getting the IC7000 fettled, I had the chance to work John G4YSS on G/NP-006 on topband and 80m, which I enjoyed. :slight_smile:

Having sorted the IC7000 with a fused lead, I was now free to take the rig to the Yorkshire Dales shack. I am a key holder for the shack and it was free today. My alarm went off at 6.15am this morning, which allowed me to brew some coffee, fill a flask and eat some breakfast. I headed out of the door at 6.45am to drive the 14 miles to the ‘trail head’, as they would say over the pond.

Boots, coffee, 100 watt rig in flight case and backpack containing my desk paddle, SWR meter, tuner, patch leads etc.

The walk to the shack is about half a mile up hill, across moorland.

Screenshot of fitness app.

I arrived at the shack at about 07.35 BST, giving me roughly half an hour to get my gear set up before the alerted time. I worked S50AAA/P on 30m to test the equipment and then sat on 7.033MHz, just waiting for your spot to appear. It seemed as though the entire SOTA chaser community was doing likewise as the wall of sound after your first CQ was deafening!! Anyway, very pleased to get OK8CDX/P in my log for the first time this year. :slight_smile:

I had an awesome time chasing SOTA stations this morning, working yourself and Victor OK8VM a number of times. Victor’s signal was the strongest, on 30m.

I got back home just shy of my promised 12.30pm return-by time, as then I had to go to Lancaster, grocery shopping.

Thanks for doing the tour, I really enjoy the challenge of trying to get a QSO, especially attempting to ‘run with the big guys’ at 25wpm+ and get in before you go QRT with (understandably) short operating windows.

Great day on the radio!

VY 73,

Col

1 Like

An interesting report. Fantastic effort Col - and you plainly had a great time working us, John G4YSS and others. There are a lot of cables on that shack bench in the picture!

Just got up here in Pribram and the weather is very wet. If it continues it may mean we cannot activate today, we’ll see. There are walkers shelters on some summits. We used one on JC-123 on Saturday morning in the rain and just ran the one station on 40m. See what we can do, breakfast then leave the Time Cafe, Pribram in half an hour.

73 Phil.

Hi Phil and Victor :slight_smile:
Was again a nice trip !
What happens in the last day ? I’m curious to read that !
Tks again for all summits
Eric F5JKK

Hello Eric,

The issue was heavy rain Eric in the hills north of Pribram. We visited ST-060, and ST-046. ST-060 there was no cover whatsoever and on 046 cover was limited, and rain persistent. The rain radar map on the Wunderweather website was showing less rain around Prague, so we drove there beyond the airport around 10 Km north of the city centre and activated ST-084 Ladvi. This was just a 500m walk from the housing car parking area for the high rise apartments and there were two benches 50m apart for the two stations on the highest point. A very comfortable activation. I was pleased to see F5JKK in the log on 20m CW. I know you worked either me, Victor OK8VM or both of us on nearly all 46 summits we both activated over the 8 days. Maybe all, I do not know as I haven’t checked. Well done!

Only got home last night at 22:30 local time and as usual after these intensive SOTA trips with Victor I did not sleep well. Made worse by having to attend an AGM for an organisation I am a member of this morning! Still managed to chase a few SOTA stations though. I am having a relaxing day while my very supportive XYL is doing my washing.

Whether this is the last SOTA tour / holiday outside the UK I will make as a Citizen of the European Union remains to be seen.

73 Phil

1 Like