OH/KU-001 Noitatunturi problems

The Colltex climbing skins that I use on my skis were frozen today. After a while they did not stick on the skis anymore and I decided cancel the ascent to Noitatunturi. The Luosto-Pyhä national park is quite beautiful now in clear weather and I could see also the Noitatunturi in the morning from the top of Kultakero. I stopped at Karhujuomalampi day hut (cold now, nobody there) to fix my ski problem and tried tape/cable ties, but could not solve the problem. Temperature now about -24 C. Maybe snow shoes or different skis next time?

73, Jaakko OH7BF/F5VGL

In reply to OH7BF:

And we think that we have problems here in the UK!

Pity you couldn’t get to Noitatunturi Jaako, but it is always better to be safe than sorry. I’m surprised your cable ties were useable at -24C as mine snap when it goes below zero.

73, Gerald

In reply to G4OIG:

Plastics do work at these temperatures though they become harder. The solution (from sauna) is to fix the skin from both ends to the ski. The same fellow recommended me also Sail-and-Ski tours in Tromso Norway. You sail on a boat to an island and climb up the summit on it with skis. Never heard that before :slight_smile:

73, Jaakko OH7BF/F5VGL