OE5EEP - eratic spots via SMS

I just noticed a spot for my OE/OO-293 activation. Please disregard. This was sent via SMS hours ago and must have been lost in nirwana. I went QRT on OO-293 around 15.00 UTC.

73 Heinz

In reply to OE5EEP:

I always like to try to resolve these issues.

Looking at the various times etc. on the messages, I can see that the last SMS was received at the service provider 13/Jul/2014 16:52:34Z, I receievd the SMS at 13/Jul/2014 16:52:35Z and SPOTlite acknowledge the spot at 13/Jul/2014 16:52:35

So that suggests the message was delayed somewhere between your phone and my service provider. Sadly there’s nothing either of us can do about that.

Andy
MM0FMF

In reply to MM0FMF:

So that suggests the message was delayed somewhere between your phone and my service provider.

SMS handling between providers in different countries doess seem to be more prone to interesting behaviour. I’ve family in Kenya. Texts between us sometimes come through just fine. Other times they rattle around in SMS land for hours (or days) before appearing. Sometimes they seem to replicate along the way, with duplicates arriving at random intervals. I expect, occasionally, that some simply vanish…

Sadly there’s nothing either of us can do about that.

Too true…

73, Rick M0LEP

In reply to M0LEP:
Then you get the bug I had with an Australian Telco where an SMS from one particular person would repeat 10 or more times (often into the night) before eventually realising the message got through!

73 Ed.

In reply to MM0FMF:

As an immediate action one could put the time when sent in the comment field. Chaser would at least know that they see a foul spot.

73 Heinz

In reply to DD5LP:

I had that happen while roaming on a small local carrier here in the USA (another part of Pennsylvania in fact) a few years ago. Some friends and I were staying at a cabin upstate for the weekend. I was signed up for severe weather alerts by SMS. As I recall, I received about a dozen copies of an alert for potential flooding back in my home area. Some were spaced half an hour or an hour apart. It got to the point that whenever my phone would beep, my friends would ask if a flood watch had been issued… :wink: Once I drove back into the coverage area of my own carrier, the superfluous messages stopped.

—73 Karl KA3RCS