"O" Dear

In reply to G0VOF:

I’m finding it hard to get used to the “O”, for some reason my tongue keeps tripping over it!

I watched the opening under protest but found it quite enthralling, and for some reason found the juxtaposition of “Eclipse” from “Dark Side of the Moon” with a massive fireworks spectacle very moving!

Brian GO8ADD

In reply to G8ADD:

I’m finding it hard to get used to the “O”, for some reason
my tongue keeps tripping over it!

Use CW, then, Brian. Problem solved!
:wink:

I watched the opening under protest but found it quite enthralling,
and for some reason found the juxtaposition of “Eclipse”
from “Dark Side of the Moon” with a massive fireworks
spectacle very moving!

I must say I had been prepared to be cynical about the Olympic opening ceremony, but I was actually thoroughly impressed. There was something in it for everyone and I believe it was well worth the money spent.

I was amazed at how they managed to match the broadcast audio feed to every close-up camera shot throughout the programme. And everyone’s microphone worked without fail - every time! A veritable technical achievement.

Walt (GO3NYY)

In reply to G3NYY:

In reply to G8ADD:

I’m finding it hard to get used to the “O”, for some
reason
my tongue keeps tripping over it!

Use CW, then, Brian. Problem solved!
:wink:

Walt (GO3NYY)

If only, Walt, if only!

Brian GO8ADD

In reply to G3NYY:

I must say I had been prepared to be cynical …

Snap. We can do pageantry like Trooping the Colour etc. very well but I was expecting something dire to be both the plan and the execution for this. It’s such a nice feeling to be impressed by something like this done by your own countrymen.

I didn’t watch much of the airy-fairy nonsense, just the procession of the teams and the lighting of the flame. The boss kept asking where places like Elbonia and Federated States of Micronesia were and I annoyed her by giving the location and call prefix! Geek is as geek does :slight_smile: Even I wasn’t sure about Moldova and told her it was in The Taint. Taint? she asked. “T’aint Europe and t’aint Asia” was the reply.

I may well have to break out the Olympic NOV tomorrow. Not sure which will bring a bigger pile up, using MO0FMF or GS3PYU. The only problem is overcoming the muscle memory that keys MM0 as soon as I pick up the paddle.

Andy
MM0FMF

In reply to MM0FMF:

I suppose that to a certain type of mind there was “airy-fairy nonsense”, but to me the displacement of a rural arkady by the industrial revolution, the growth of the machines, and “molten metal” creeping inexorably down the channel and around the ring before the ring rose up and took its place in the olympic symbol - well, that was a coup de theatre that I will always remember!

Brian GO8ADD

In reply to G8ADD:

I didn’t see that bit… I was doing some turning on my poor man’s lathe (electric drill clamped in the vice). Made a nice centre for my 70cms driven element. I saw the teams enter and the cauldron lighting. I didn’t stay for the bit from the old bloke with the bad syrup at the end.

But kids singing and people dancing, sorry bores me terribly. Unless it’s old videos of Pan’s People on TOTP, that’s what YouTube was invented for. :wink:

The overall reaction seems to be everyone was expecting a disaster and it wasn’t but instead was really rather excellent. Which is nice.

Andy
MM0FMF

In reply to G8ADD:

I found that particular piece quite moving. It worked so well and actually made me feel quite proud to be British, an unusual emotion that I’ve not felt too often. Bravo!

Of course you can’t please everyone, lots of people on facebook were less than impressed. It’s not cool to say “we done good” though, is it?

Ian.

In reply to MM0FMF:

I imagine its on the iplayer, I think you would enjoy the first half hour!

Brian GO8ADD